January 2013 Moms

FF question-how many bottles per day?

Jack is pretty much on the same time schedule for feeding that he has been since he was a newborn.  He eats every 2 hours...sometimes wanting the bottle even before that.  Most possibly because he eats so often he really only eats small amounts at a time, anywhere from 3-4 average.  I offer him 5 ounce bottles at every meal.  He very rarely eats a whole 5 ounce bottle...even after a 3 1/2 hour nap!  

I always thought I would continue to feed on demand...but this schedule is a bit tough when we go out.  And, I see women here who have babies who take much larger bottles less frequently during the day who are the same age as Jack.  

I always thought I would continue to feed on demand.  But, now I am wondering if to should try to get Jack to take larger bottles less often.  I am not even sure how I would go about this...offering more and holding him off on feeding gradually...like 2 hours and 15 minutes, then 2 1/2 hours and so on.  And, I am not even sure if this is a great idea.  I would be doing it for me not him.  Maybe he knows what's best for him and me messing with that would throw him out of whack. I always wondered if he has a mild case of silent reflux and that's why he prefers smaller feedings.  

Am I FTM-over thinking this?  Should I try and get him on a feeding schedule or just grin and bear it.   

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Re: FF question-how many bottles per day?

• IMO you should feed a baby when they want to be fed.  DS always ate every two hours (that's a pretty typical schedule for a baby).  DD eats about every two hours and is still taking only about 4oz at a time.

I mean, if you're seeing a pattern where he's really just snacking and wanting to snack off and on off and on (I'm talking multiple times within 2hrs) then you might want to see if you can stretch it out to more like 2 hours, but right now their awake time should be about 2-3 hours so feeding them that frequently would be about right.

Obviously every baby is different, but I'm a firm believer in letting them take the lead with eating and sleeping.  Their bodies know what they need. 

imagephoto 64bf363d-3af0-4dcc-b880-c06326daa418_zps78d8d389.jpg
    *My Blog*
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

photo 0cc607b9-4233-4842-8175-d093f8f92ca8_zps7cc00875.jpg
    10/50 Read

my read shelf:
    Stephanie's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • No advice but what to let you know our schedule. DS usually gets 6 bottles a day (every 3 hours give or take) and he generally drinks 7 oz per bottle. He is FF and just turned 5 months Saturday and he STTN.

HIs schedule is: One bottle in the morning (wakes up between 6:30 - 8am depending on if its a daycare day or not), 3 bottles during the day, one bottle around 6-6:30, and then a bottle before bed abour 9pm.

• image sbevmc09:

IMO you should feed a baby when they want to be fed.  DS always ate every two hours (that's a pretty typical schedule for a baby).  DD eats about every two hours and is still taking only about 4oz at a time.

I mean, if you're seeing a pattern where he's really just snacking and wanting to snack off and on off and on (I'm talking multiple times within 2hrs) then you might want to see if you can stretch it out to more like 2 hours, but right now their awake time should be about 2-3 hours so feeding them that frequently would be about right.

Obviously every baby is different, but I'm a firm believer in letting them take the lead with eating and sleeping.  Their bodies know what they need. 

Sometimes he will take the same bottle on and off for the entire hour that the formula is good.   I would definately like to stop that, as it's not always possible when we are out to continue to stop and feed him over and over again, ie feeding before a car ride.  

A mom friend told me to try offering the bottle just the once and then waiting 2 hours to feed again...giving him just the one opportunity to eat.  I tried that this weekend and he has increased his average a bit but also woke up twice last night because he didn't get enough during the day.  That is just not a trend I want to continue.  I may try it a it longer to see how he does and if he adjusts his eating a bit.   

• I say whatever works for y'all keep doing. For me DS eats 5 to 6 oz bottles every 3 hours and once a day he goes 4 hours.He ends up having 5 bottles a day and he sleeps from 8pm to 6 or 7am. It works for him but every baby is different.
    Anniversary Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • This is our FFing schedule. 6 a.m. 5 oz and 2 oz of oatmeal 9 a.m. 5 oz 12 p.m. 5 oz and 2.5 tb of a veggie puree 3 p.m. 5 oz 6-6:30 p.m. 5 oz and 2 oz of oatmeal 9 p.m. 5 oz Then he sleeps till the next morning. On the weekends, DS will usually sleep till 7 or 8 and then our schedule changes a bit.
  • image MichieU79:
    image sbevmc09:

IMO you should feed a baby when they want to be fed.  DS always ate every two hours (that's a pretty typical schedule for a baby).  DD eats about every two hours and is still taking only about 4oz at a time.

Sometimes he will take the same bottle on and off for the entire hour that the formula is good.   I would definately like to stop that, as it's not always possible when we are out to continue to stop and feed him over and over again, ie feeding before a car ride.  

A mom friend told me to try offering the bottle just the once and then waiting 2 hours to feed again...giving him just the one opportunity to eat.  I tried that this weekend and he has increased his average a bit but also woke up twice last night because he didn't get enough during the day.  That is just not a trend I want to continue.  I may try it a it longer to see how he does and if he adjusts his eating a bit.   

Yeah... I think if my LO were snacking like that at this point I would probably try to stretch out the feedings a bit.  Are you sure you're interpreting his cues properly?  Maybe you're offering the bottle before he's really hungry?  At the same time, we certainly have times where I offer, DD takes a little, then wants more later.  It happens  :)  But if it's a regular thing I would say that at this point they're definitely capable to do more than snacking.  If he's used to it I'm sure it will be a little bit of an adjustment for him.  I wouldn't do anything crazy, but just make sure he's hungry before offering and just kind of keep time in mind while still letting him lead as much as possible.  That's what I would do anyway.  

GL! 

imagephoto 64bf363d-3af0-4dcc-b880-c06326daa418_zps78d8d389.jpg
    *My Blog*

photo 0cc607b9-4233-4842-8175-d093f8f92ca8_zps7cc00875.jpg
    10/50 Read

my read shelf:
    Stephanie's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • ta78ta78
    250 Answers 1000 Comments Fourth Anniversary 25 Love Its

If he's just snacking then I would try to wait a little longer before offering him the bottle.

DD has a 6oz bottle every 3-4 hours. She has started waking again once a night to eat, so I think I am going to try and up the oz because we have the opposite problem and she doesn't want anything to do with the bottle at times more than 4 hours. I think we will also start solids in the next couple weeks.

Assuming your son is more in a habit of snacking and not needing to eat so often, I would work on spacing out feedings and offer a bit more. I would rather wake up once a night and get our day feedings sorted out than spend an hour feeding only to feed him again an hour later. Try as many other methods if he is fussy and seems to want to eat, obviously if he is really hungry feed him.

That is just my opinion. You will know what is best for your baby. They are all different.

Quinton  06.25.10
    Wren  01.13.11

photo qw_zpsd8c3bb1b.jpg

.blog.
  • DD eats 6 ounces every 4 hours. I don't make her follow a set schedule, I basically feed based on her cues.
    TTC since 7/2010. BFP #1 10/7/2010. M/C 11/3/2010.
    PCOS diagnosed 10/2011. BFP #2 4/29/2012 after 3 rounds of Clomid. 1/8/13- our little miracle is here!

imageimage

• Thank you for your input ladies!  Since Saturday I have been trying to stretch his feeding to 2 hours and have eliminated (most) of the snacking.  It seems like its working.  Now I just need to follow his hunger cues to see if I can get him to last a little longer.  If that happens I will increase his bottle amount and maybe this will work out!  He is already up to 21.5 oz for the day (at 4pm) with two bottles left before bedtime.  That is amazing for him.  He usually averages 23-27 ounces a day.  

Fingers crossed!!  Maybe something will come of this.

• Have you tried baby food yet?
    Mine takes 5 to 8 ounces at a time and eats about every 4 hours until night time
    Then she sleeps 8 to 5 or 9 to 6
  • ta78ta78
    250 Answers 1000 Comments Fourth Anniversary 25 Love Its
    image MichieU79:

Thank you for your input ladies!  Since Saturday I have been trying to stretch his feeding to 2 hours and have eliminated (most) of the snacking.  It seems like its working.  Now I just need to follow his hunger cues to see if I can get him to last a little longer.  If that happens I will increase his bottle amount and maybe this will work out!  He is already up to 21.5 oz for the day (at 4pm) with two bottles left before bedtime.  That is amazing for him.  He usually averages 23-27 ounces a day.  

I'm sure it may be different for different babies.. but our pedi said we should be at 32oz a day right now.

Quinton  06.25.10
    Wren  01.13.11

photo qw_zpsd8c3bb1b.jpg

.blog.
  • image ta78:
    image MichieU79:

Thank you for your input ladies!  Since Saturday I have been trying to stretch his feeding to 2 hours and have eliminated (most) of the snacking.  It seems like its working.  Now I just need to follow his hunger cues to see if I can get him to last a little longer.  If that happens I will increase his bottle amount and maybe this will work out!  He is already up to 21.5 oz for the day (at 4pm) with two bottles left before bedtime.  That is amazing for him.  He usually averages 23-27 ounces a day.  

I'm sure it may be different for different babies.. but our pedi said we should be at 32oz a day right now.

I always thought it was low too but he is 17lbs as of his 5 month check up and at the 65% for weight.  The doc said he is doing great.   

• image MonicaClaire13:
    Have you tried baby food yet? Mine takes 5 to 8 ounces at a time and eats about every 4 hours until night time Then she sleeps 8 to 5 or 9 to 6

I am so excited for him to try food.  However, we have decided to try baby led weaning.  Because of this, Jack should be 6 months and be able to sit unassisted to reduce the risk of choking.  Can't believe that will be coming soon! Time is really flying.   

• I think it's just something they grow into. Blair ate about every 2 hours and just very recently has been going longer. Give it some time.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • DD used to eat every two hours but as she's gotten older she can go longer.  She is now 5 months and takes 6 oz every 3.5-4 hours.  She isn't even starving at that point.  She is in the 90 th percentile for weight so I guess it's working for her haha.  She almost always drinks the whole 6oz.  I'd say try going a little longer and see how he responds. 
  • For us it's 7oz bottles pretty much every 3-4 hours during the day starting around 9.30-10am, then one around 1pm, 5ish pm and 8.30pm and then she sleeps from 9pm to 9.30ish am

Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers Anniversary