June 2013 Moms

My achy breaky NIPS!

So, as of yesterday Ive been pretty much feeding on demand and exclusively breast feeding [except for the 20cc i put in a bottle with his vitamins twice a day]
My nips hurt!! I make sure that he latches correctly and has more than just the nip in his mouth. Its usually just the initial sucks that really hurt and then as he gets in his groove theyre fine.
I use my pinky to break his seal if i need to take him off of my boob for any reason.
I just took him off of my left boob and one if the little bumps on the tip of my nipple is red. Like blood red. Not just sore red.
Is this normal? Is it just because my boobs arent use to it? Ive pumped for a month but his suction seems a lot stronger than my pumps! Plus, hes on my boobs more often than id usually pump.
Any words of wisdom?
Also, do you know if a baby gets more milk out of a boob than a pump does or less?
Pregnancy Ticker

Re: My achy breaky NIPS!

• Sorry I dont have advice for you but had to say you totally made a child hood favorute song come back to.mind for me. Now im singing it and its made my day... mobile smile....

DD1 5/16/2006 8lbs 3oz 21" (2 days late, 36.5 hour labor)
    M/C 12/08/09 6w5d
    DS1 6/27/2013 7lbs 9oz 19.5" (1 day late, 17.5 hour labor)
    M/C 12/18/13 6w1d Twins
    BFP#5 4/6/13 EDD 12/16/2014

BabyFruit Ticker
  • I switched to exclusively pumping after 1 month with my son. I was in a lot of pain nursing and my lactation consultant would always tell me that nursing should not be painful. My son had a high palate so it made for a difficult nursing relationship. I got tons of milk using my pump. I never had to supplement formula and I pumped for 16 months. Of course at 12 months I introduced milk and then he would only take breast milk a few times a day. Apparently a baby is more efficient at getting the milk out compared to a pump. Pumping exclusively doesn't come without pain either. I would get raw nipples at times and I got a milk blister on my nipple. It sounds like maybe your nipple is just irritated from a bad initial latch or something. A milk blister tends to be white and its right on the tip of the nipple. You can always ice your nipples if you are in pain. You can also use nipple cream if you don't use it already. I know that they say to put breast milk on your nipples to help them heal but that never cut it for me. I eventually started using Bella b nipple
    Nurture butter. It really soothed the irritation. Good luck and I hope that your pain goes away soon.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Baby is more efficient than any pump will ever be, barring certain medical issues.

The initial pain and the bleeding is normal. Either put some lanolin on your nipples or let some milk or colostrum air dry before covering them again. Make sure you're changing out your breast pads too so your nipples stay dry.
    Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I'm only on day 3 of breastfeeding, but my girl has a really strong latch and a great suck as well. And it hurts! Like you said, for the first minute or less it really stings and then it goes away. The LC said my nipple pain should go away in 7 to 10 days. I'm using lanolin and I just picked up some breast ice packs that are currently in the freezer.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • DS is one month today, and the first two weeks or so of nursing was horribly painful my whole body would cringe and tense up when I would start to feed him. He has a good latch so I think it is just the initial irritation of our bodies getting used to it it's been a lot better the last few weeks!

He's my fairytale, a dream when I'm not sleeping.

<a href="http://s279.photobucket.com/albums/kk121/behapybride/?action=view
  • We had a rough start even tho DD2 lathes like a champ. She had one night of lazy cluster feeds in the hospital that left me with big bloody blisters on the edges of my nips so we had to use a shield for a few days. Luckily I healed up good and we are still at it. I found both times it was painful in the beginning and it went away with time but I had those first suck cringes too!! Ouch!

Lilypie First Birthday tickersLilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • it'll get better!! mine hurt for the first few days, then my right boob was totally fine and the left still hurt.  Now, after 12 days, my left boob is finally comfortable although I still get the initial few seconds of ouch at the beginning.  The LCs told me it's normal for one side to be easier than the other and they checked LO for tongue tied since my nipples did bleed the first couple of days.  They decided she didn't need a clip and said they would reconsider if the breastfeeding didn't feel better by our 2 week pediatrician appointment.  Hope it feels better soon for you!!   

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • image nykkolhooks:
    I'm only on day 3 of breastfeeding, but my girl has a really strong latch and a great suck as well. And it hurts! Like you said, for the first minute or less it really stings and then it goes away. The LC said my nipple pain should go away in 7 to 10 days. I'm using lanolin and I just picked up some breast ice packs that are currently in the freezer.

Ooo breast ice packs!? I will have to look into these!
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • image riansmommie:
    Sorry I dont have advice for you but had to say you totally made a child hood favorute song come back to.mind for me. Now im singing it and its made my day... mobile smile....

: D
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • image ilovemarfa:
    I switched to exclusively pumping after 1 month with my son. I was in a lot of pain nursing and my lactation consultant would always tell me that nursing should not be painful. My son had a high palate so it made for a difficult nursing relationship. I got tons of milk using my pump. I never had to supplement formula and I pumped for 16 months. Of course at 12 months I introduced milk and then he would only take breast milk a few times a day. Apparently a baby is more efficient at getting the milk out compared to a pump. Pumping exclusively doesn't come without pain either. I would get raw nipples at times and I got a milk blister on my nipple. It sounds like maybe your nipple is just irritated from a bad initial latch or something. A milk blister tends to be white and its right on the tip of the nipple. You can always ice your nipples if you are in pain. You can also use nipple cream if you don't use it already. I know that they say to put breast milk on your nipples to help them heal but that never cut it for me. I eventually started using Bella b nipple
    Nurture butter. It really soothed the irritation. Good luck and I hope that your pain goes away soon.

I have the lanolin cream. Maybe i can try other options. Thanks!
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • image emolm:
    Baby is more efficient than any pump will ever be, barring certain medical issues.

The initial pain and the bleeding is normal. Either put some lanolin on your nipples or let some milk or colostrum air dry before covering them again. Make sure you're changing out your breast pads too so your nipples stay dry.

O gosh bleeding! I think i came close this last time.
    : /
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • image rosewatermegs:
    We had a rough start even tho DD2 lathes like a champ. She had one night of lazy cluster feeds in the hospital that left me with big bloody blisters on the edges of my nips so we had to use a shield for a few days. Luckily I healed up good and we are still at it. I found both times it was painful in the beginning and it went away with time but I had those first suck cringes too!! Ouch!

I thought about looking into the shields. Im pretty sure that ive got the blister thing going on. They go away quickly though.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • image behapy2day:
    DS is one month today, and the first two weeks or so of nursing was horribly painful my whole body would cringe and tense up when I would start to feed him. He has a good latch so I think it is just the initial irritation of our bodies getting used to it it's been a lot better the last few weeks!

Ive def got that whole body cringe thing going on. I hope they feel better soon. : [
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • image KHadden26:
    it'll get better!! mine hurt for the first few days, then my right boob was totally fine and the left still hurt. nbsp;Now, after 12 days, my left boob is finally comfortable although I still get the initial few seconds of ouch at the beginning. nbsp;The LCs told me it's normal for one side to be easier than the other and they checked LO for tongue tied since my nipples did bleed the first couple of days. nbsp;They decided she didn't need a clip and said they would reconsider if the breastfeeding didn't feel better by our 2 week pediatrician appointment. nbsp;Hope it feels better soon for you!! nbsp;nbsp;

All of the double digit talk scares me! I hope my boobs can handle 12 days! Lol theyre on fire! I cant wait for the relief phase.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Kellymom.com is a great resource for bf-ing questions/concerns. I have a milk blister right now (which looks like a white spot) and it is super painful to nurse :( I bf my son for over a year so I hope things get easier here (and I know logically they will) but it is really hard right now. I don't have a pump or formula so I'm feeding only bm on demand and my nips are really taking a beating.

Loss #1 2008, Loss #2 2010, Loss #3 2011, Loss #4 2012, Loss #5 2012

~DS Born! 2009~
    ~DD Born! 2013~

• image Manderlin923:
    Kellymom.com is a great resource for bfing questions/concerns. I have a milk blister right now which looks like a white spot and it is super painful to nurse : I bf my son for over a year so I hope things get easier here and I know logically they will but it is really hard right now. I don't have a pump or formula so I'm feeding only bm on demand and my nips are really taking a beating. nbsp;

Its definitely hard to fight through the pain. I cringe when he opens his mouth to latch. It feels like someone cut me with a razor blade. I ended up just giving him some BM in a bottle bc my boobs needed a break. Next meal will be from the boob!
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • I'll try to link, but mobile. Try Jack Newman's Nipple Cream. It's precription, but did wonders for me last time. The lanolin did nothing. I had a crack on one nipple that took a little while to heal, but things got much better after the first week or so. Hang in there, you can do it!! Make sure your DH is being encouraging and supportive about BFing and find a good LC. Even when things are going well, I still found I needed the encouragement.

http://www.breastfeedinginc.ca/content.php?pagename=docCP

• I didn't read all of the other responses so sorry if this is repetitive. I have abrasions on mine from bad latches the first few tries. My LC said nipple cream after each feed is good, but if you can hand express a little of your breast milk and rub it on the spot it will heal faster. It's a pain to nurse on.
    BabyFetus Ticker IAmPregnant Ticker
  • image Western Diva:
    I'll try to link, but mobile. Try Jack Newman's Nipple Cream. It's precription, but did wonders for me last time. The lanolin did nothing. I had a crack on one nipple that took a little while to heal, but things got much better after the first week or so. Hang in there, you can do it!! Make sure your DH is being encouraging and supportive about BFing and find a good LC. Even when things are going well, I still found I needed the encouragement.

http://www.breastfeedinginc.ca/content.php?pagename=docCP

Thank you!
    Hubby has been very supportive thank God!
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • image courty625:
    I didn't read all of the other responses so sorry if this is repetitive. I have abrasions on mine from bad latches the first few tries. My LC said nipple cream after each feed is good, but if you can hand express a little of your breast milk and rub it on the spot it will heal faster. It's a pain to nurse on.

I was using breast milk after every pump but ive slacked after breast feeding bc there wasnt any there. I use lanolin but not as much as i probably should. Hand expressing some milk out is a great idea! I have to be more strict about it now.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • I can totally relate.  My right nipple is cracked and it's incredibly painful.  I've been using lanolin and nipple butter by Earth Mama Angel Baby.  I also read that you can soak your nipple in salt water for a couple of minutes and then let them air dry.  I've been walking around the house with my boobs hanging out because letting them get exposed to air is supposed to help.  I have had to pump a few times on the right and feed from the left because the pain is so bad.  Our pedi's office has a BF group that meets once a month and luckily it's on Thursday.  They will have a LC there and I'm hoping she can help us figure out how to improve things.
    Married 05.24.08
    Missed m/c discovered 07.25.12 (EDD 03.01.13)- Forever in our hearts
    Amelia Catherine was born on May 30, 2013
    Lilypie - (cFu9)
  • I may call one of the ladies that taught at our hospital classes. One was a member of LLL and the other is in charge of free breast feeding classes at the hospital. They should be able to help.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • I am terrified to BF this time (DD1 was exclusively FF) and this thread is not helping me!!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • image kristinrae914:
    I am terrified to BF this time DD1 was exclusively FF and this thread is not helping me!!

Sorryyyyyy!!
    Definitely give it a go! If the pain becomes way way too much you can always pump or do the formula thing. As long as we remember that the baby wont starve we will be ok!!
    ; ]
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Your title made me laugh!  I know sometimes it can take a little bit of time for your nipples to get used to the feeding, especially as often as we feed newborns. Have you tried lanolin and cold/warm packs to help with soothing the redness?  That helped me when I first started nursing and pumping. I switched from breastfeeding to exclusive pumping with DD because of shallow nipple issues and a DD with a high palette. So, for me, pumping actually retrieved more milk than nursing.  But as far as the average latch vs the average pump I would think they would be equivalent as long as you were feeding long enough to get the hind milk.  I'd say give it a couple more weeks. If you're still having soreness, and redness, issues perhaps visit a LC and have her look at your latching process.  Good luck and great job!  
  • Right there with ya! Cracked and sore! DS sucks so hard the LC called him Hoover! It has only been 12 days but it is getting better each day. We can all have a big group hug!!!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • clizhclizh
    2500 Comments Third Anniversary 25 Love Its Name Dropper
    Yes baby is MUCH more efficient at getting milk out then a pump.

First off, I call COMPLETE bullshit on the whole "if it hurts you aren't doing it right". M always had a great latch, no tongue tie, no thrush but that was normal for me, my nipples were destroyed for the first two months. I have extremely sensitive skin and my LC said that she sees problems like I had commonly In women with sensitive or very fair skin. I'm talking deep, full, bleeding cracks... But I also remember before and after the cracking I would have those blood red bumps too. Generally it will hurt at first until the milk comes and acts as a lubricant. Eventually though it shouldn't hurt anymore, your nips just need to adjust "toughen" up. You can also talk to your OB or LC about thrush, that's a possibility but it will also show with either white spots or sores in baby's mouth I'm not positive which one.

Eta: it's also VERY important to let your nips air dry in between feeds, so they can heal. I HIGHLY recommend the Medela Soft Shells for sore nipples, they are 20 at BRU and literally saved me.
    Proud babywearing, breastfeeding, vaccinating SAHM of 2U2!
    imageLilypie - (qCSN)Lilypie - (5rzN)imageDaisypath Anniversary tickers

• image WhitWed:
    Your title made me laugh! nbsp;I know sometimes it can take a little bit of time for your nipples to get used to the feeding, especially as often as we feed newborns. Have you tried lanolin and cold/warm packs to help with soothing the redness? nbsp;That helped me when I first started nursing and pumping. I switched from breastfeeding to exclusive pumping with DD because of shallow nipple issues and a DD with a high palette. So, for me, pumping actually retrieved more milk than nursing. nbsp;But as far as the average latch vs the average pump I would think they would be equivalent as long as you were feeding long enough to get the hind milk. nbsp;I'd say give it a couple more weeks. If you're still having soreness, and redness, issues perhaps visit a LC and have her look at your latching process. nbsp;Good luck and great job! nbsp;

I have to try some cool packs.
    Thank you!
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • image bride05Jules:
    Right there with ya! Cracked and sore! DS sucks so hard the LC called him Hoover! It has only been 12 days but it is getting better each day. We can all have a big group hug!!!

The group hug would probably hurt our boobays!! Lol
    : P
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • image clizh:
    Yes baby is MUCH more efficient at getting milk out then a pump.

First off, I call COMPLETE bullshit on the whole "if it hurts you aren't doing it right". M always had a great latch, no tongue tie, no thrush but that was normal for me, my nipples were destroyed for the first two months. I have extremely sensitive skin and my LC said that she sees problems like I had commonly In women with sensitive or very fair skin. I'm talking deep, full, bleeding cracks... But I also remember before and after the cracking I would have those blood red bumps too. Generally it will hurt at first until the milk comes and acts as a lubricant. Eventually though it shouldn't hurt anymore, your nips just need to adjust "toughen" up. You can also talk to your OB or LC about thrush, that's a possibility but it will also show with either white spots or sores in baby's mouth I'm not positive which one.

Eta: it's also VERY important to let your nips air dry in between feeds, so they can heal. I HIGHLY recommend the Medela Soft Shells for sore nipples, they are 20 at BRU and literally saved me.

The baby had thrush prior to me making him latch on. I wanted to wait until it was cleared up. He had it in the nicu so they gave me meds for it. I read online that we can pass it back and forth so i waited.
    I will check out those soft shells. Id totally spend 20 bucks for some relief. Heck, id spend more!! ; D
    Pregnancy Ticker