February 2013 Moms

Anyone want a sleep coaching buddy?

We're rapidly flying toward that six month mark when some kind of sleep coaching becomes recommended/necessary/probablygonnahavetohappen and I was wondering if people wanted to buddy up or group up and maybe do check-in type things together.  When I sleep trained DS1 I would have loved to have someone else to check in with, be held accountable to, and just commiserate with.  If, say, a bunch of girls are going to do Ferber (or a modified version thereof), it couldn't hurt to start at around the same time and do daily check-in posts.  Personally, I'm going to do the Sleep Lady Shuffle at 6 months so I'm reading the book now and getting us gently heading in that direction.  If anyone else wants to join me, I'd love to share in the misery--er--fun.

**ETA: please don't turn this into a sleep training vs not sleep training feud post.  Everyone is going to do what they feel is right for their kid, and that is perfectly wonderful, I only meant that if two or three or more girls are doing the same or similar program, it might be beneficial to work together. 

Missed m/c discovered 3/15/12 at 8w2d: "Henry."
imageimage

Jack 04/29/10 dairy, peanut and seasonal allergies; Sensory Processing Disorder, Autism
Rhys 01/25/13 Peanut and tree nut allergy, MSPI
Lilypie - (cF7R) Lilypie - (Phka)

Re: Anyone want a sleep coaching buddy?

• I did sleep lady with DS1 around 14 months to remove him from my bed and it worked well.  I might try with newbie for naps because this sleeping ON me thing is getting really old really quickly.

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • image pitterpatter129:

I did sleep lady with DS1 around 14 months to remove him from my bed and it worked well.  I might try with newbie for naps because this sleeping ON me thing is getting really old really quickly.

I'm glad to hear a success story!! 

imageimage

Jack 04/29/10 dairy, peanut and seasonal allergies; Sensory Processing Disorder, Autism

• While I have already (yes, early I know) implemented DS using Ferber, I would be happy to help anyone who decides to go that route or to just answer any questions people may have about it. 
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I don't know what my plan is yet, since DD sleeps great with her paci, swaddled and I have NO IDEA what will happen when she is unswaddled and pulls her paci out over and over but depending on when that happens, I will probably need some kind of moral support.

DD1 didn't like the paci so I don't even know how this is supposed to work. Do we have to wean her off the paci? I don't want to read alllllllllllllllllllll the books again. Sigh.

• I think we will most likely be doing the Ferber method around 5 months. We want to get that settled before we start night weaning because I read sleep training should be done first? If anyone has any thoughts to night weaning I would love to hear them.
  • I know nothing about sleep coaching but based on what I have read, I think I would like to try the sleep lady shuffle when the time  comes. My LO was late so I am a bit behind most ladies on this board because she is only 3 months  but I think a check in would be very helpful for me personally.
     Image and video hosting by TinyPic      image
    View Full Size Image

• I'm also going to be implementing ferber in a few weeks at 5 months. The rocking to sleep is getti g exhausting and her naps are beyond crappy so I personally can't wait!

Rosebean, can you tell me about your experience? How much crying in each night? How did middle of the night wake ups go? And any success with naps, how did you go about them?
    BabyName Ticker BabyFetus Ticker
  • I think it sounds like a great idea but I guess I'm unsure right now if I need to sleep train. This may sound like a stupid question, but is sleep training more for getting them to go to bed on their own, or is it for STTN?

View Full Size Image    View Full Size Image

• In my opinion it's mainly for them to go to sleep on their own. At this age they're still pretty young to not need at least one MOTN feeding, however I'd sure as hell like to just feed my nugget and put her back in the crib at 3am to fall asleep on her own.
    BabyName Ticker BabyFetus Ticker
  • image Drea926:
    I think it sounds like a great idea but I guess I'm unsure right now if I need to sleep train. This may sound like a stupid question, but is sleep training more for getting them to go to bed on their own, or is it for STTN?

My DS needs to learn to put himself back to sleep when he stirs 

imageimage

• We are doing a modified form of CIO with DD.

It's called Sleeping through the Night by Jodi Mindell. I believe she does work for the National Sleep Foundation.

Here's a link to more info on her if anyone's interested
    http://www.apa.org/monitor/feb04/sleep.aspx

If anyone wants to talk about the book or needs support with this method let me know.
    Lilypie - (KNqh)
  • image littlebean4:
    I'm also going to be implementing ferber in a few weeks at 5 months. The rocking to sleep is getti g exhausting and her naps are beyond crappy so I personally can't wait! Rosebean, can you tell me about your experience? How much crying in each night? How did middle of the night wake ups go? And any success with naps, how did you go about them?

his first night he cried for 1hour and 25 minutes. The next day his naps instantly improved. He would fall asleep after the first check interval. The second night took him 25 minutes. The third took 30 seconds. I was so amazed. 

Since then, our crappy napper who would fight and cry going to nap will fall asleep in his crib for 30 minute naps (before we're 20 minutes being held) and will now have one mid day nap that lasts for 1 to 2 hours. We never had those before. When he wakes up, he isn't grumpy any more and wants to spend more time playing instead of fussing. He also goes to sleep in his swing now without any fussing whatsoever. Big time improvement. I am very glad we did it. He was so ready for it. Bed times are simpler and he actually sleeps in his crib until 8:30 am, when before we would have to pull him into out bed for those last few hours.

We still do MOTN feedings, but once in a while he will sleep 10 to almost 12 hours through.  

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I would love advice on whether I need to sleep train DS. He rarely cries at bed time so going in and out as I believe Ferber suggests isn't an issue. However he wakes up once for MOTN feeding and his naps are terrible. Would Ferber method help him STTN and nap better? 
  • I'm definitely in! I've been reading Sleep Easy Solution but am open to other methods!
  • Oh, I'd love to do this when we start sleep training!  For a long time, I was really resistant to the idea of any sort of training - - but this past week, I've nearly fallen asleep at the wheel twice, plus I was so exhausted while sweeping the house that I lost my balance just walking past our TV cabinet, fell, and bruised him left side really badly.  Clearly, I'm sleep deprived and it's now jeopardizing my safety and the safety of others :(  

I figure if I'm going to do this, I might as well go all-in and do Ferber :)  I would love to start at 5 months exactly (first week of July) but we're going to be traveling mid-July through August 1st, and friends have told me it's almost not worth it if we're going to be away from home and throwing DS totally off with a change of environment.  I welcome any thoughts on this.

But - come August, I'm IN!

DS born February 5, 2013

Need tips for surviving cat allergies? Check out my bio! :)

• image ATLdesi:

Oh, I'd love to do this when we start sleep training!  For a long time, I was really resistant to the idea of any sort of training - - but this past week, I've nearly fallen asleep at the wheel twice, plus I was so exhausted while sweeping the house that I lost my balance just walking past our TV cabinet, fell, and bruised him left side really badly.  Clearly, I'm sleep deprived and it's now jeopardizing my safety and the safety of others :(  

Honestly, this is one of the reasons why we had to start. I ran a red light after three days of no sleep and almost hit another car on my way home from work. We didn't want to start early, but we had to because we all were so sleep deprived. 

EDITED TO ADD: I'm not saying you should start early. This is just the reason we did. 

Lilypie - (KNqh)
  • image RiverSong82:
    image ATLdesi:

Oh, I'd love to do this when we start sleep training!  For a long time, I was really resistant to the idea of any sort of training - - but this past week, I've nearly fallen asleep at the wheel twice, plus I was so exhausted while sweeping the house that I lost my balance just walking past our TV cabinet, fell, and bruised him left side really badly.  Clearly, I'm sleep deprived and it's now jeopardizing my safety and the safety of others :(  

Honestly, this is one of the reasons why we had to start. I ran a red light after three days of no sleep and almost hit another car on my way home from work. We didn't want to start early, but we had to because we all were so sleep deprived. 

EDITED TO ADD: I'm not saying you should start early. This is just the reason we did. 

Totally understand what you're saying, RiverSong82.  Honestly, I might be inclined to start early, except that we leave on Monday for a 2 week trip for my sister's wedding.  We'll be staying at my parents' house, along with (no joke) seven relatives from abroad, my sister and her BFF.  The sleeping arrangements are going to be ridiculous, and I kind of feel like there's no point to starting this when we are all going to be sleeping on top of each other anyway!  But yes - I feel you.  The sleep deprivation is now doing scary things to us all!  Let's all work hard on staying safe :)

DS born February 5, 2013

Need tips for surviving cat allergies? Check out my bio! :)

• image ATLdesi:
    image RiverSong82:
    image ATLdesi:

Totally understand what you're saying, RiverSong82.  Honestly, I might be inclined to start early, except that we leave on Monday for a 2 week trip for my sister's wedding.  We'll be staying at my parents' house, along with (no joke) seven relatives from abroad, my sister and her BFF.  The sleeping arrangements are going to be ridiculous, and I kind of feel like there's no point to starting this when we are all going to be sleeping on top of each other anyway!  But yes - I feel you.  The sleep deprivation is now doing scary things to us all!  Let's all work hard on staying safe :)

You totally need to do what's right for you. I think you're smart to wait since your schedule will be so hectic. With the method we use there is a routine that needs to be followed because the whole idea is based on consistency.
    Lilypie - (KNqh)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards