3rd Trimester

nook vs other organic mattress

I love the Nook Pebble mattress but its a bit pricey. I'm wondering about other organic mattresses: If you need to put a plastic waterproof liner on it, doesn't that defeat the purpose of buying organic? Nook looks like the only mattress you lay the baby directly on, but seems like changing that out in the middle of the night after they poop would be annoying. What is the best eco-friendly solution here? 

thanks for help! 

Re: nook vs other organic mattress

• I have no clue someone gave me a arms reach sleeper and that's what I plan on using until baby is bigger and outgrows it then I will figure out where to let baby sleep
  • jefkjefk
    250 Answers 250 Love Its 500 Comments Name Dropper

We have the Summer Infant Ultimate Crib Sheet.  It comes in an regular cotton and organic cotton option.  It's a soft top with an absorbent layer and a vinyl backing, and it snaps to the crib rails.  You lay it directly on top of the mattress so when the baby has a blow-out diaper in the middle of the night, you just unsnap it, toss it in the wash, and put on a new one (we got two of them).  I'm a FTM and the baby's not even here yet so I can't personally vouch for it, but one of my friends has a couple of these sheets and she said she can't live without them.  

That being said, you can get the organic cotton one but it's still got a vinyl backing - which I suppose defeats the purpose of being "green."  But it's better than scrubbing poop off a mattress in the middle of the night!

• QmommyQmommy
    5 Love Its
    The mattress protector is there for the ease of changing sheets in the middle of the night.  My mattress protector is not plastic.
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickersLilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • We went with the Naturepedic Lightweight Organic Cotton Classic. I'm not sure about the price compared to the Nook Pebble since we didn't look at those. I wouldn't say ours was inexpensive.

Jasper 

• mjostamjosta
    First Anniversary First Comment
    do you use any plastic on it?
  • mjostamjosta
    First Anniversary First Comment
    which mattress protector do you use? 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards