Natural Birth

Undecided

Hi ladies this is my first time over here and I am a FTM so I was hoping maybe I could get a couple answers from those more experienced than me. I am very interested in being in the whirl pool for a least some of the labor has anyone done this and what was your experience? Also I will be delivering in a hospital if I choose natural birth what should I be prepared for with a hospital setting?
Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Re: Undecided

• I don't know if I was in a whirl pool but I laboured in a tub of sorts, and I LOVED the effect of the warm water.

I'm in NZ and our hospitals are very natural birth friendly, I understand hospitals really vary in the US. So it would be a good idea to find out what the policies are of your hospital in regards to things like, will they allow intermittant fetal monitoring? Are you required to get an IV? Will they allow you to move around as much as you want while labouring?

Having an idea of how natural birth friendly your OB is probably a good starting point, and you might also want to consider post birth choices like delayed cord clamping, skin to skin and BF. delaying the first bath, vaccines and eye ointment etc etc. 

Elizabeth 3yrs old Jane 1yr old

• There are some great books you should check out like: Ina May's Guide to Childbirth by Ina May Gaskin. There are some great lists of questions towards the back that you should ask you ob.

I would also take a natural birth class. I loved Hypnobabies and personally would never consider another but I have friends who swear by the Bradley Method. You just have to do your research and find what works best for you.

To answer your original question I did labor in the tub for about 3 hours. I was in there during my transition phase and I loved it. By "loved it" I mean it felt good, I could relax and sleep a bit between waves (contractions) and being able to float and relax every muscle in my body really allowed my body to work as it needed to without me impeding the process.

baby development
    image image
    Married May 14, 2011 DD born Nov 10, 2012
    On our way to 2u2, due June 22

June '14 April Siggy Cute Animals!

• Thank you both! I really appreciate the input! 
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Kate Louise, I am in nz too! Where abouts are you?