January 2013 Moms

6 months or hitting milestones?

dr's recommend 6 months before solids, but i have a list of milestones he should hit before we give him food as well. he has hit all of the milestones (tongue thrust gone, less drooling which means the swallowing mechanisms are developed, sitting up unassisted, SO interested in foods etc.). i have seen so many of you start solids, and i am so anxious to start too! i hate these "magic ages" for starting things. which are you going with milestones, or 6 months? 

we gave him a green been at dinner to suck on because he grabbed it off my plate and he loved it, i would love to continue introducing. but i am also a preacher for the 6 month rule.. so torn

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: 6 months or hitting milestones?

• I haven't started solids yet, but in my opinion there is no magic age. every child develops at a different rate. If you believe that your son is ready I say go for it but start slow because his gut may not be entirely closed yet
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • DCKateDCKate member
    My DD turned 5mos last week and we started. I think if you're baby is ready, why not? We are doing organic oatmeal and a pure twice a day. So far, sweet potatoes and bananas are winners!
    Our little Samosa arrives in January!
  • Loading the player...
  • I guess I believe you are the mom and you know your baby best. If you feel he is ready then go for it. It's not like he is 6 weeks old....he's over 5 months! GL!

Henry Cavill...You're welcome!

BFP #3: EDD 1/10/13 **DS born 12/30/12!!!**
    BFP #2: MC 7/2/11 @ 12 weeks
    **Missing our February '12 LoveBug**
    BFP #1: MMC discovered on 12/6/10

Anniversary

• I've just been "dabbling" with solids. LO has shown great interest in food and can sit up so I've given him banana mixed with a little formula. He's done fine! I don't think there's anything wrong with just trying it as long as he seems ready.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • ObLaDiObLaDi member
    My DS is just over 5 months and has met all the milestones too. We haven't started solids yet but I'm getting pretty excited to; I just ate my whole breakfast with him lunging for it! Not sure yet whether we'll wind up waiting the whole 6 months.

The main reasons I'm waiting now are because it kind of feels like there's some pomp and circumstance to presenting him with food on his half birthday, even though I know that's silly. I'm also a little sad for our EBF relationship to end, even though I know it won't in reality change very much at all.
  • Milestones. I started at 4.5 months, DD loves green beans as well. She is doing great and still nurses quite a bit. It is your decision.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers

• imageMichieU79:

But, I do think it's a personal decision, just like with everything else in motherhood.  If you feel like your LO is ready, try.  If he isn't ready, I think you'll find out one way or another.  Since you gave him a string bean, are you doing blw?  He probably won't even really Injest any food for a while.  But, if you are doing blw, they do seem to strongly suggest waiting for 6 months from everything I read.

we have gone back and forth on BLW and we are going to do purees to start with. if we are eating and there is something like a green been he can suck on again, we will give it to him because he did pretty well on it. but for the most part we are planning on homemade purees  

• DD has just hit all her milestones and I was going to wait until 6 months but we might start with just a little avocado or banana next week when she's 5.5 months old. 
  • ta78ta78 member

I feel like most babies are closer to 6 months when they hit these milestones and that's where the magic number comes from.

You are only a few weeks away, I would go ahead and start now.  

Q :  06.25.10
    W : 01.11.13

#3 : due 11.02.15

• ==N====N== member

Dd hasnt hit the milestones but we started with some oatmeal a few days ago (a little over 5.5 months) and it really took her starting to eat with a spoon to start hitting the milestones. Shes realized she cant just thrust her tongue out and she is now very interested in what we're eating.

I wanted to wait until 6 months but she's started refusing her bottle at daycare and not eating for about 6 hours while Im gone so I was hoping shed take to the solids so shes not starving every day.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • thanks ladies. we decided to start solids tonight! so happy to be able to pull out the baby bullet finally!! 
  • I went with the milestones and the interest my baby showed in food. We've first introduced banana but LO also loves avocado. I first find it hard to tell which solids were recommended for her and which to avoid, but I found this website https://goodmomming.com/ and it kind of solved my problem. You could use it when your baby is ready.  

• imageKyleedawn08:
    thanks ladies. we decided to start solids tonight! so happy to be able to pull out the baby bullet finally!!nbsp;

Yaaay!
    It's fun to see their little faces when they taste them for the first time
    DD just turned 5 months and we've been slowly doing baby supported sitter foods since 4.5 months
    Out pedi said if you give her a bottle and she seems in satisfied or if she seems peckish to try baby foods
    So if its one of those days we give out to her she's learning still
    It's messy work
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"