October 2012 Moms

Sense of self-preservation

Do your babies try to stop themselves when they're falling over, move away from edges of beds, or put their arms out?

I know it usually develops by 10 months and was wondering how other daredevils are faring.

X currently has no sense of self-preservation when it comes to tumbles.

Alexander
Melanie

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

Re: Sense of self-preservation

• Nope, face first all the way. And reaching off the edge for things that are waaaay out of her reach.

But luckily there also aren't really tears after a face plant yet, either.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic  Displaying photo.JPG Displaying photo.JPG
                                                       TTC since Feb 2010
                              BFP #1- 7.03.10 Missed MC, d&c 8.9.10 (10 wks)
                              BFP #2- 12.16.10 Natural MC 12.25.10 (6 wks)
                              BFP #3- 2.19.12 Welcome baby girl! (Oct 26, 2012)
                              BFP #4- 1.11.14  Due in September- 2 under 2
                Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • She'll put her arm back if she starts to fall backwards while sitting but thats it.
    MurphyBearsMom Blog
    Born: October 9th, 2012
    Baby Girl, Audrey Elena

• DD still isn't sitting up by herself very well.  She launches herself back and will hit her head.  Sometimes if I'm not quick enough she'll hit her head on the floor, but she just keeps doing it.  I don't want to let her fall, but if I always catch her I think she won't learn.  It's frustrating.

My future's so bright I've got third degree burns

• image mbm1983:
    She'll put her arm back if she starts to fall backwards while sitting but thats it.

Yep same here. A couple times it seemed she was more aware of herself falling but not really. 

• He will slip and arm back to keep from falling backward from a sitting position but face plants if he falls forward.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • He falls on his butt most of the time. Like if he's standing up and wants a toy, he'll sit to grab it if it's out of reach. But he aims for egdes.
  • Dorothy can catch herself now. She also twists to fall on her bottom. She used to hit her head like 100 times per day. I'm so glad she has learned how to fall. She still hits her head at time of course, but I'm glad she doesn't look like a boxer like she used to. 

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Nothing yet. He'll fall backwards when sitting every now and again. He fell in the dirt in our garage yesterday right smack on his face. He cried for a min then was fine. I hate seeing him do it, but I know he needs to fall to learn not to do it.

Cooper Thomas | 08.02.12 at 31w2d | 3lb 9oz
    TTC #2 since 11.02.13

image image image image

TTPG April Siggy Challenge: Superheros

image image
  • DS doesn't have this yet either. He hits his head on everything. Also if he is sitting he will often face plant when reaching for toys. Most of the time it doesn't bother him, but every now and then he does his awful pain cry.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • image WanderingStars23:
    Nope, face first all the way. And reaching off the edge for things that are waaaay out of her reach.

But luckily there also aren't really tears after a face plant yet, either.

Z is still in this stage....
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Oct Angel Babies
  • LorMorLorMor
    500 Love Its 1000 Comments Second Anniversary Name Dropper

She fell off the bed the other day, and then after that would make her way to the edge of the bed, peer over and say uh oh. 

But I think she's forgotten that now, because she tried to gallop off the bed again today.