May 2013 Moms

I can't

I saw this on TV, it was girls saying things that they just can't deal with in people. Here are mine

I can't handle the fact that there were multiple newborns without hats at the pediatrician office. It was 70 degrees outside, and the Dr. had the AC on Arctic blast. Youcould see their little lips quivering.

also I can't deal with all the formula shaming mayor Bloomberg has infected NYC with. When I told the nurse I couldn't pump just yet, and would be leaving DH with formula bottles my first week of work, you would have thought I told her I was giving the baby cocaine. I was raised on formula, and I'm still breathing.

Last but not least, people who expect me to visit them. I just pushed someone out of me. This someone has a weak immune system, and eats every two hours, sorry if I missed that lunch date.

Ah that felt good

Sorry for typos I'm mobile bumping

Re: I can't

• I havent had a hat on dd since her first few days...same weather here.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • No hats here either.
    BabyName Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • image mommatotwo2:
    I havent had a hat on dd since her first few days...same weather here.

it was freezing in that office. I was cold.
    I'm the type to anticipate those things, in my experience doctor's offices are usually cold. It wasn't bad outside though.

• I don't even have hats that fit DS.

It can't be any worse than stripping them down to their diaper throughout their whole appt.

Maybe I'm wrong though. The hat might really offset the need for their clothes.
    BabyName Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • image caymarks:
    I don't even have hats that fit DS.

It can't be any worse than stripping them down to their diaper throughout their whole appt.

Maybe I'm wrong though. The hat might really offset the need for their clothes.

Eh well maybe it's a me thing. If nobody else seems to find anything wrong with it. It's something I've always thought about though.

• I've never thought to put a hat on DS since we came home. If it was Jan sure. But not in June. They told us in the hospital to dress baby similar to how we dress. And I'm not wearing a hat.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers image image image
  • kmcd23kmcd23
    Eighth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Love Its Combo Breaker
    The What to Expect 1st year book says no hats indoors. I was doing hats at first because my mom admonished me about it. Not anymore though.
  • image kmcd23:
    The What to Expect 1st year book says no hats indoors. I was doing hats at first because my mom admonished me about it. Not anymore though.

Yes i was raised to put a hat on a newborn. My mom would kill me if she thought is left home without one. So, maybe it's generational.

• Our pedi told us hat was optional. We put one on him at night when its cooler.
    image imageimage

• image MomlovesEloise:
    Wow. Aren't you a peach.
    This.  Here I sit with my third spring/summer baby and I have the audacity to only put hats on because they're cute and go with a particular outfit.  Worst. Mother. Ever.  Good thing my older two survived my horrific parenting.  
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I have a bunch of hats for LO. He wore one in the hospital and one on the drive home. The rest have sat in the drawer. I bring a blanket to the Dr. office on the suggestion of one of the nurses in the hospital... but no hat.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • image nonniedee:
    image kmcd23:

Yes i was raised to put a hat on a newborn. My mom would kill me if she thought is left home without one. So, maybe it's generational.
    I noticed that when my mom was here. She wanted him in footie pajamas, swaddled, and a blanket at night. I had to explain to her that being too hot increases the risk of SIDS. And still many nights I find him sweaty wearing a onesie and a light muslin swaddle.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers image image image
  • LN1024LN1024
    250 Answers 1000 Comments Fifth Anniversary 250 Love Its

This whole post is insane. M wears a hat when I think it looks cute and matches his outfit. It's 90 here and I would never consider a hat for the cold. I do pack a light Aden & Anais blanket, but that's it. 

At night he sleeps in a swaddle.  

• nola78nola78
    5000 Comments 25 Love Its Second Anniversary First Answer
    Really?  Hats in the summer?  Um, no.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    BFP #1: 1/10/12; EDD: 9/20/12, born too early on 5/7/12 (20w4d) due to IC/PTL/chorioamnionitis.
    BFP #2: 8/30/12; EDD: 5/9/13, emergency cerclage placed at 22w5d, dx cardiomyopathy, strict bed rest for 14 weeks. DD born at 39 weeks.

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    All ALs always welcome
  • Hats or no hats aside, I like your other two gripes!!
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • image hogrefea:
    image MomlovesEloise:
    Wow. Aren't you a peach.
    This.  Here I sit with my third spring/summer baby and I have the audacity to only put hats on because they're cute and go with a particular outfit.  Worst. Mother. Ever.  Good thing my older two survived my horrific parenting.  

This is my 2nd warm weather baby and I had a January baby. This LO only wore a hat for about 24 hours in the hospital. It wouldn't stay on his head so I took it off. I have about 56 in the drawer in his room never used. I use a receiving blanket over him in the carseat but other than that nothing. So far all of my kids are perfectly happy and healthy.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• With regard to going back to work and pumping, of course it's fine to use formula if you don't have any milk already pumped.  I pumped after going back to work full-time with my first, and I think it's really important to start pumping at work from day one if that is what you want to do.  Otherwise, you'll end up really engorged and your milk will dry up during the day if you go multiple days without pumping.  It's important to get into the routine right away, so your co-workers and boss know this is something you'll need to do every day around the same time.  Personally, I'd send the milk I pumped on the first day with your LO on the second day, along with formula in case you didn't pump enough.  It really makes it easier to send fresh milk, so I'd send it in the next day versus freezing for later on.
    href="http://www.weddingcountdown.com/" rel="nofollow">

AMA: 43 DH: 49 DD: 07/09/98 - 15 years
    DS: 11/09/00 - 13 years
    Surprise DD#2: 4/30/13
  • My baby is a preemie so my pedi told me to keep a hat on her at all times, otherwise she gets super cold because she is so little. Also I live in Florida where it's a sauna outside but still have to keep her bundled and hat on until she gains weight.. So you never know. Don't judge someone by their beliefs
  • LN1024LN1024
    250 Answers 1000 Comments Fifth Anniversary 250 Love Its

image shannon8632:
    My baby is a preemie so my pedi told me to keep a hat on her at all times, otherwise she gets super cold because she is so little. Also I live in Florida where it's a sauna outside but still have to keep her bundled and hat on until she gains weight.. So you never know. Don't judge someone by their beliefs

Um, if anyone was doing the judging it was the OP, because all the rest of us horrible mothers do not have our babies in hats. We merely disagreed with her judgement.  

• image LN1024:

image shannon8632:
    My baby is a preemie so my pedi told me to keep a hat on her at all times, otherwise she gets super cold because she is so little. Also I live in Florida where it's a sauna outside but still have to keep her bundled and hat on until she gains weight.. So you never know. Don't judge someone by their beliefs

Um, if anyone was doing the judging it was the OP, because all the rest of us horrible mothers do not have our babies in hats. We merely disagreed with her judgement.  

in my family it's common to put a hat on babies, or at least pack one just in case. In the same vein I pack long sleeves or extra blankets. I already said i thought this was a common belief, but hey different folks different strokes. As far as her being born during warm weather, on the day I came home from the hospital it was 50 degrees and pouring down rain. The point is you never know, so be prepared.

• image surpriseaddition:
    With regard to going back to work and pumping, of course it's fine to use formula if you don't have any milk already pumped.nbsp; I pumped after going back to work fulltime with my first, and I think it's really important to start pumping at work from day one if that is what you want to do.nbsp; Otherwise, you'll end up really engorged and your milk will dry up during the day if you gonbsp;multiple days without pumping.nbsp; It's important to get into the routine right away, so your coworkers and boss know thisnbsp;is somethingnbsp;you'll need to do every day around the same time.nbsp; Personally, I'd send the milk I pumped on the first day with your LO on the second day, along with formula in case you didn't pump enough.nbsp; It really makes it easier to send fresh milk, so I'd send it in the next day versus freezing for later on.

It's my intention to pump, but I've been having a hard time of it. I was telling the pedi that if all else failed I would use formula. She acted as if I'd blasphemed. Hopefully, I get the hang of it soon.

• image nonniedee:
    image surpriseaddition:
    With regard to going back to work and pumping, of course it's fine to use formula if you don't have any milk already pumped.nbsp; I pumped after going back to work fulltime with my first, and I think it's really important to start pumping at work from day one if that is what you want to do.nbsp; Otherwise, you'll end up really engorged and your milk will dry up during the day if you gonbsp;multiple days without pumping.nbsp; It's important to get into the routine right away, so your coworkers and boss know thisnbsp;is somethingnbsp;you'll need to do every day around the same time.nbsp; Personally, I'd send the milk I pumped on the first day with your LO on the second day, along with formula in case you didn't pump enough.nbsp; It really makes it easier to send fresh milk, so I'd send it in the next day versus freezing for later on.
    It's my intention to pump, but I've been having a hard time of it. I was telling the pedi that if all else failed I would use formula. She acted as if I'd blasphemed. Hopefully, I get the hang of it soon.
    Lots of women do both BF and FF...too bad she acted that way. I'd take the pump and at least give it a try the first day - especially if you're working a typical 8-10 hour workday. If you're nursing all day now, you'll really get engorged and very uncomfortable when you miss those feedings. Even if the pumping hasn't worked so far, if you've been nursing exclusively up to this point you may have nothing left to pump right now and that is why it isn't working. But, when you miss multiple feeds (like during a workday) you're boobs will feel like they're going to burst, and you'll probably be very successful with the pump! I know from experience....serious pain when you miss more than one feeding! If you don't want to pump at work, I'd wean yourself off of the mid-day feedings by skipping one mid-day feeding at a time and replacing with formula. That way it won't be such a shock to your system when you're working full days. GL!
    href="http://www.weddingcountdown.com/" rel="nofollow">

AMA: 43 DH: 49 DD: 07/09/98 - 15 years
    DS: 11/09/00 - 13 years
    Surprise DD#2: 4/30/13
  • image surpriseaddition:
    image nonniedee:
    image surpriseaddition:

Lots of women do both BF and FF...too bad she acted that way. I'd take the pump and at least give it a try the first day - especially if you're working a typical 8-10 hour workday. If you're nursing all day now, you'll really get engorged and very uncomfortable when you miss those feedings. Even if the pumping hasn't worked so far, if you've been nursing exclusively up to this point you may have nothing left to pump right now and that is why it isn't working. But, when you miss multiple feeds (like during a workday) you're boobs will feel like they're going to burst, and you'll probably be very successful with the pump! I know from experience....serious pain when you miss more than one feeding! If you don't want to pump at work, I'd wean yourself off of the mid-day feedings by skipping one mid-day feeding at a time and replacing with formula. That way it won't be such a shock to your system when you're working full days. GL!

Thanks so much for the advice. I'm gonna try it the way you said it. I definitely want to at least give it a try.

• I liked your last iCant...lol, I'm a single ftm and no family help...people amaze me with their expectations for me to have a 24hr life outside of my room let alone my house! Even my mother who I stopped speaking to halfway thru my pregnancy because she locked me out of her house in the dead of winter had the nerve to tell me she scheduled time off of work to "help" me with my baby so I could "recover" um not sure how she plans to "help" when DD needs to nurse every two hours...that is unless she has a supply of breastmilk that I don't know about...#iCant