February 2013 Moms

2 plus moms

We are going to the zoo next weekend with DHs cousin and fiance. The zoo is a couple hrs away. We aren't sure if we will spend the night in a hotel or come back home that day.

DH brought up the idea of leaving DD with a grandma since she's little and wouldn't know any better. But I don't know I think I would feel bad leaving her behind even though I know she wouldn't know any better and would probably have more fun with grandma than a busy zoo lol. I guess I just feel like its a family trip and she should come too.

Anyways what would you moms of 2 or more do? Or what have you done?

ETA: We have an 18 month old son who will be going with too.
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: 2 plus moms

• I could see both sides. I mean, on the one hand I consider a zoo an activity for kids, so I would find it a little strange to leave your daughter at home. On the other hand, she's too little to even appreciate it, and you would have to deal with things like the long drive (no fun with a baby), possibly hot weather (don't know where you live), and trying to figure out things like naps, diaper changes, overnight options while on the road (I always find those things a pain, anyway). So I guess what I would say is -- I dunno. :-) I would probably choose to leave LO with grandma and then do something else with DH!!! Then again, I'm not much of a fan of the zoo and only go because of DD1.

BFP1: DD1 born April 2011 at 34w1d via unplanned c/s due to HELLP, DVT 1 week PP
    BFP2: 3/18/12, blighted ovum, natural m/c @ 7w4d
    BFP3: DD2 born Feb 2013 at 38w4d via unplanned RCS due to uterine dehiscence

• imagekelly321:
    I could see both sides. I mean, on the one hand I consider a zoo an activity for kids, so I would find it a little strange to leave your daughter at home. On the other hand, she's too little to even appreciate it, and you would have to deal with things like the long drive no fun with a baby, possibly hot weather don't know where you live, and trying to figure out things like naps, diaper changes, overnight options while on the road I always find those things a pain, anyway. So I guess what I would say is I dunno. : I would probably choose to leave LO with grandma and then do something else with DH!!! Then again, I'm not much of a fan of the zoo and only go because of DD1.

Oh I should of mentioned we have an 18 month old son so we are going for him. And of course I love the zoo too lol! So that's why I'm not sure what to do with DD. Would it make it more fun for him if she stayed with grandma? I don't know either lol!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • It would totally depend on feeding.  I take mine, but I'm breastfeeding.  So...wherever I go baby comes too.  I'm not pumping unless baby absolutely cannot go (like to work.)  If I was formula feeding, it would probably be easier to leave baby with gma.  LO can stay on schedule and nap peacefully that way and older kiddo can have fun with both parents.  ETA:  I wouldn't leave the baby overnight either, but some people do, so it would depend on if you are comfortable with that too.

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • imagejas9210:
    imagekelly321:
    I could see both sides. I mean, on the one hand I consider a zoo an activity for kids, so I would find it a little strange to leave your daughter at home. On the other hand, she's too little to even appreciate it, and you would have to deal with things like the long drive no fun with a baby, possibly hot weather don't know where you live, and trying to figure out things like naps, diaper changes, overnight options while on the road I always find those things a pain, anyway. So I guess what I would say is I dunno. : I would probably choose to leave LO with grandma and then do something else with DH!!! Then again, I'm not much of a fan of the zoo and only go because of DD1.
    Oh I should of mentioned we have an 18 month old son so we are going for him. And of course I love the zoo too lol! So that's why I'm not sure what to do with DD. Would it make it more fun for him if she stayed with grandma? I don't know either lol!

Oops, I didn't notice that in your siggy before I hit reply. Then I get why you're going. :-) I would probably leave LO with grandma in that case - easier to handle 1 kid at the zoo than 2. With only 1, you and your DH can take turns with him while the other gets a bit of a break.

BFP1: DD1 born April 2011 at 34w1d via unplanned c/s due to HELLP, DVT 1 week PP
    BFP2: 3/18/12, blighted ovum, natural m/c @ 7w4d
    BFP3: DD2 born Feb 2013 at 38w4d via unplanned RCS due to uterine dehiscence

• I have gone several times to the zoo with my two kids since our son was born. We have a membership to the local zoo.

The baby has been fine! I, too, enjoy the family time. I have our double stroller, but I always pack the ergo. I have used both equally for him. When he is in the ergo, he just tends to fall asleep anyway. FWIW, our oldest is 22 months, and sometimes one of us is actually holding her because that way it's easier to talk to her and look at the animals with her. So there are times when neither child is in the stroller, but it is still handy for snacks, drinks, diapers, camera, etc.

I think we've spent about 4hrs there max. That was plenty for our oldest.....and she always falls asleep as soon as we are in the car going back home.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker
  • I started out thinking, leave baby with grandma, that this would be more fun for everyone. But pp made me rethink that. We recently went 5 hours away for a wedding and went to the aquarium while away. Not only was Ds fantastic in the car, he loved the aquarium. He was really fussy when we got there but he got really happy when I adjusted his seat so he could see. And dd was so excited to show things to him.
  • I'd say definitely take her.....you sound like you want her to be part of the trip and might not be able to fully enjoy the zoo if you are wondering how she is or wishing you had brought her. I agree with a previous poster.....I think she would enjoy going because she would be with you guys and have lots to look at.  I think she would definitely benefit from going and you will probably have the best time as a family. :)
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic 
    "You know you're in love when you can't fall asleep because reality is finally better than your dreams." - Dr. Seuss
                         Mom to 3 wonderful boys( 6, 4, 20 months), and one little lady ( born 2/17).
  •  while my DD#2 is little (3 months) I think it would be easier to leave her home. We don't have anyone to watch her though so she comes with us and I am constantly making sure the sun isn't getting her or getting too hot.
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker
  • The zoo we go to is a couple hours away and I just make a day trip out of it.  No need for a hotel.  And I've taken three kids by myself without a problem, so I would think you and your DH could handle the baby there.  I would bring the baby and skip the hotel.

• I would take the baby and skip the hotel. I take my three to the zoo on my own..we go about every other week. It's only an hour away for us, though.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • DD has been to both local zoos + the aquarium already. :)  But I went to hang out with people and she pretty much goes where I go even though she's primarily bottlefed.  I spend enough time away from her at work that I hate giving up much time with her when I'm off!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I took both girls to the zoo on Mother's Day.  DD#2 hung out in the Moby and just napped and snuggled with me.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"