May 2013 Moms

4th degree tear

For those of you who have had one...I'm frustrated with and still trying to figure out the healing process. I'm 6 days pp and the surgeon told me I'd be lots more mobile at 7 to 10 days. The only big improvement I've noticed is that getting up and down from sitting or laying is easier. I can't imagine walking down the street. Just simple stuff around the house is exhausting!

Am I expecting too much too soon? Who else has btdt?

Re: 4th degree tear

• I didn't have a 4th degree tear, but I had a 2 nd degree tear and a very large hematoma. My stitches were also ripped open when the hematoma was evacuated so I have had a very rough and slow recovery.

I started feeling a lot better between 2 and 3 weeks PP. I started being able to walk again and it stopped hurting so much. I am now 6 weeks PP and I still get sore and hurt when I run or walk too much but I feel much much better. 

Give your body time to recover, it has been through a lot. I basically stayed in bed for two weeks. Also my OB told me to take warm baths with nothing added (because I had open wounds) to help the healing and it definitely did!  

DS1: 4/15/2011
    Dx: ASD, SPD and receptive and expressive speech delay at 21 months
    BFP #2: CP 5/2012
    DS2: 4/24/2013
    BFP #4: Miscarriage at 5 weeks 7/2014
  • I had a 4th degree tear with my first and I was able to walk better after one week. Getting up from lying down was the hardest part for me. I hope you heal quickly!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFetus Ticker
  • I had a 4th degree tear with my first pregnancy and this one (my 3rd).  The first two weeks were rough, really rough.  I am now 3 weeks pp and feeling ok now, even took the other kids to the zoo the other day.  It is hard, but hang in there for a little while longer. 
  • I had a 3rd-4th degree tear and I'm almost 6 weeks PP.  I still have quite a bit of pain and rely on Motrin everyday.  Walking became easier around 3 weeks.  My doctor said I'm fully healed from the outside but I'm likely still healing around the internal stitches and I also had some trauma to they urethra.  She said it could be another 2-4 weeks before I no longer have pain/soreness.  Good luck with your recovery!
    ***Lauren*** Married my Love 07.12.08 - Baby #1 (Girl)-Cystic Hygroma & Turner's Syndrome-D&C at 13 weeks 03.29.12
  • Thanks so much for your replies.  I think maybe I am just expecting too much too soon.  I have tried to spend much more of today in bed.  I am also trying to rely on just using Motrin, as I would rather avoid taking percoset while breastfeeding.  Plus I took just one in the hospital and felt super loopy.

• I have a second degree tear and two internal tears and I am still really uncomfortable almost two weeks postpartum however I am able to move around pretty well. Usually the pain increases the more I sit since it puts pressure on the area.
  • image JohnsonShmonson:
    I had a 4th degree tear with my first and I was able to walk better after one week. Getting up from lying down was the hardest part for me. I hope you heal quickly!

Same here... I took lots of Motrin for at least two weeks PP with my first.
  • I had a second degree tear but had stitches redone at 7 and 14 days pp. lucky me, i know. I'm 5 weeks out and while i feel good most of the time it's still tender if i overdo it and sitting on the floor is still uncomfy. I say give it more time, take it way easy and keep popping motrin. Motrin and ice packs were helpful to me.

Two little miracles made possible by the gift of life - Be an organ donor - Always thankful 

• manzdamanzda
    Third Anniversary 100 Comments 5 Love Its
    I have a 3rd degree tear and felt terrible the first week. However, at about 8 days postpartum I felt a million times better, pretty much out of no where.
  • I had a third degree tear and it took about four weeks to start feeling a lot better, still had discomfort when sitting down and getting up.  I am six weeks out now and feel so much better.  I very rarely have any discomfort finally!  Hang in there!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Sorry you're going through this.  With my first I had a 3 rd degree tear and took ibuprofen every day for a month!  It took about 6 weeks for me to feel normal again.  Hope you have a speedy recovery!
  • Thanks for posting. I have a 3rd degree and 3 weeks pp I am still taking ibuprofen and acetaminophen, but moving around is easier. Good to know I'm not the only one.
    Baby girl born 5/20/13. Figuring it out as we go. :)