November 2013 Moms

el yunque rainforest

I know when i posted about babymoons a few weeks past, a number of you had been to PR. Just wondering if you thought hiking the big tree trail in the rainforest would be okay for me to do or if I should hang back.

Ive talked to my OB about it and as for the physical aspect I should be fine. I was just curious about the safety of the trail. Slippery, steep, etc? Trip advisor gives mixed reviews.

Re: el yunque rainforest

• I went there once. It's not bad but yes very slippery and alot of walking. But it was an awesome experience . Good luck
  • I hiked El Yunque about a year and a half ago for my honeymoon. I think I recall it being about 3 miles or so? There were a few fairly steep sections, but nothing too strenuous...then again, I wasn't pregnant at the time!..It wasn't slippery at the time because it hadn't rained recently..You can't really count on it being slippery or not though, since as a rain forest, it can rain at any moment..I'd say if your doctor okay'ed you, you'll be fine.
    N13 August Siggy Challenge:
    The epic Orange County "ugly" cry…performed by Lauren Conrad

• Great, thanks for the replies, how about the biolumenescent bay? Anyone have exoerience with that?
  • Went to the bioluminescent bay in April. Though I had no physical issues with the kayaking/pregnancy, I thought the experience was way over priced. The kayaking itself only became somewhat strenuous on the way back from the bay. You kayak for about 1520 minutes one way through the mangrove canal and we were against the current coming back. I'm pretty physical normally, so the effort wasn't a big deal, just the disappointment. Have fun!!
  • I went to El Yunque in October it was beautiful but the trail to waterfalls is quite crazy, I had trouble doing it (I'm very petite) I couldn't imagine trying it pregnant. However, definitely try to make it out there when you're not pregnant. DH is Puerto Rican and PR was gorgeous, I can't wait to go back.
    BLAD reppin'

• image lnreynol:
    I know when i posted about babymoons a few weeks past, a number of you had been to PR. Just wondering if you thought hiking the big tree trail in the rainforest would be okay for me to do or if I should hang back.

Ive talked to my OB about it and as for the physical aspect I should be fine. I was just curious about the safety of the trail. Slippery, steep, etc? Trip advisor gives mixed reviews.
  • I've done both. Neither was strenuous. The trail can be slippery. Just watch your feet and ask your partner to help you if it looks sketchy. Also put your stronger partner in the back of the kayak since he/she will do the harder work during the trip. The bioluminescence bay is an amazing experience. Just be sure to bring a change of clothes to both excursions. Have fun.
  • We went there on our honeymoon 13 years ago and I don't remember it being bad--just beautiful!  have fun if you go!!!  have you looked into Rio Camuy?  That was my favorite part of PR.
    So happy to be expecting #7!