April 2013 Moms

Thin Skin: TMI

Ok this might be a little TMI, but it's bothering me so I had to post.  Since about week 3 I thought I had a yeast infection - I had an infection after the c-section and was on IV antibiotics so thought that a bad yeast infection was totally plausible.  I was treated for it twice with diflucan (once when I asked the nurse to call it in for me and once when I called and said it wasn't going away and they had me come in - found a tiny amount of yeast).  So here it is WEEKS later and I still have this thing going on. Since the yeast infection has been ruled out,  I've been back to the Dr. for it 2 additional times and each time, they say, "you know, when you're breastfeeding, your skin becomes thin and very sensitive around the vagina".  One of the times she had me apply a&d ointment, and not wash with soap, and another time they told me to use some hydrocorisone ointment on it.  It still persists, it's like all the skin around my vagina is really red and irritated and it hurts and feels JUST like a yeast infection.  Is anyone else experiencing this?  It's so annoying because I'm constantly looking at it in the mirror to see if any of the ointment combos has worked.  My husband and I would kind of like to get back into the swing of things and maybe have sex since it's been oh, at least 4 months!!!!  The little guy is 8 weeks and we have not done anything yet!!! This mystery condition is killing me and I can't get any releif.  I just can't imagine breastfeeding is causing this, and that there's no solution....

Re: Thin Skin: TMI

• Kate_CKate_C
    Eighth Anniversary 2500 Comments 250 Answers 500 Love Its
    I've noticed a similar issue recently. The skin is dry, red, burning and tender. But no discharge or anything suggestive of an infection. I figured this is probably an unpleasant preview of menopause, although I haven't talked to my OB's office about it yet. I had nothing like this with my last pregnancy. I think my hormones are overall much different this time. Have you tried anything like the moisturizing stuff they sell for menopausal women? I was going to ask my dr about those.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • image Kate_C:
    I've noticed a similar issue recently. The skin is dry, red, burning and tender. But no discharge or anything suggestive of an infection. I figured this is probably an unpleasant preview of menopause, although I haven't talked to my OB's office about it yet. I had nothing like this with my last pregnancy. I think my hormones are overall much different this time. Have you tried anything like the moisturizing stuff they sell for menopausal women? I was going to ask my dr about those.

The nurse practitioner did mention that this happens w menopause and said maybe estrogen cream could help but I didn't hear this again. I'm 35, pre menopause already? Or just PP hormones mimicking menopause?
  • Kate_CKate_C
    Eighth Anniversary 2500 Comments 250 Answers 500 Love Its
    I think it's just low estrogen related to EBF, not peri menopause. Should improve after a few months when hormones stabilize or when you wean.
  • Similar scenario here, dr had me use the cream for athletes food for any external areas sure enough it has helped significantly.
    Together happily for 7 years, Married March 2012--Buckle up! BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards