February 2013 Moms

Huh?

DD1 has had really dry skin on the back of her hands, like its chapped, So bad it was cracking and scabbing over. This has happened from time to time because she is a thumb sucker at night.

Normally putting aquaphor or Vaseline on it clears it right up. We had been putting these on for over a week and it just kept getting worse. So the other night I put antibiotic ointment on it and viola, it's all better.

Now I'm curious what was causing it?
View Full Size Image
Lilypie - (kxiS)
Lilypie - (BG2d)

Re: Huh?

• Sounds like it could have been fungal. Adults and babies can get that from excessive drool/spit/etc
    photo 974be4a7-562b-438b-968f-2b2b4a7ac553.jpg
  • Antibiotics shouldn't treat fungi.  Perhaps if the problem was just that it was too moist all the time, the moisture-keeping treatments you were using may have only exacerbated the problem.  Perhaps the antibiotic cream dried it out and it wasn't the antibiotic effect at all causing the healing...  Or there might have been aloe or something in the antibiotic cream that soothed.  I wouldn't be convinced it was bacterial unless you had a culture or something.
  • jd614jd614
    250 Answers 100 Comments First Anniversary 5 Love Its
    Could it be eczema ?
  • image brachysira:
    Antibiotics shouldn't treat fungi. nbsp;Perhaps if the problem was just that it was too moist all the time, the moisturekeeping treatments you were using may have only exacerbated the problem. nbsp;Perhaps the antibiotic cream dried it out and it wasn't the antibiotic effect at all causing the healing... nbsp;Or there might have been aloe or something in the antibiotic cream that soothed. nbsp;I wouldn't be convinced it was bacterial unless you had a culture or something.

The thing is that her hands are dry for most of the day aside from playing in her water table in the afternoons and thumb sucking at night. Plus, she's 4, so she's not a slobber monster anymore. Everything but her thumb is dry when she sucks it. So weird?
    View Full Size Image
    Lilypie - (kxiS)
    Lilypie - (BG2d)
  • image jd614:
    Could it be eczema ?

Maybe? Does eczema clear with antibiotic ointment?
    View Full Size Image
    Lilypie - (kxiS)
    Lilypie - (BG2d)
  • image Teacher Clark:
    image jd614:
    Could it be eczema ?

Maybe? Does eczema clear with antibiotic ointment?

DS1 has eczema and it clears up with a steroid cream. I've not ever used antibiotic ointment though. One suggestion....try cerave cream. It's amazing stuff for little mans skin!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • maybe it cleared b/c she doesn't like the taste of the antibiotic cream, therefore stayed away from it with her saliva. Yeast doesn't get better with antibiotic cream in fact yeast gets worse when antibiotics are added to the mix.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • image sararn2004:
    maybe it cleared b/c she doesn't like the taste of the antibiotic cream, therefore stayed away from it with her saliva. Yeast doesn't get better with antibiotic cream in fact yeast gets worse when antibiotics are added to the mix.

But it's on both hands and she doesn't suck both thumbs. Plus, she's 4 and no longer a slobber monster. Her hands don't get wet when she sucks her thumb.
    View Full Size Image
    Lilypie - (kxiS)
    Lilypie - (BG2d)