Cloth Diapering

Preparing prefolds

I'm sure this has been asked a bunch, for which I apologize, but I tried to google it and got so many conflicting answers that I wanted real life input. I have 36 unbleached prefolds that need to be prepped. I read that boiling them can help save time, but I don't really want to take 3 hours to boil 6 at a time for 30 minutes. Have any of you boiled for less time, like 10 minutes? Do you recommend using Dawn when you boil, or is it unnecessary? When I do put them in the wash, can I run a short cycle to save energy, or does it need to be a normal one? And will boiling them be as effective as washing them 5 times? I really just can't imagine washing them that many times before they've even been used. Thanks! 
imageimageimageimage

Re: Preparing prefolds

• When I prepped my prefolds, I didn't go the boiling route. I considered it but didn't think I had a large enough pot to do so and thought washing would just be easier.

I washed and dried them once a night during the week until they'd been washed and dried 56 times.

I know it seems like a lot of unnecessary washing before they've even been used, but I find that my prepping wash method works great for me while I get everything prepped before the babies come. It's one one load a night for a few nights.
    Began TTC #1 in January 2011
    Confirmation and Removal of Endo - March 2012
    +#1 on 4/1/12 - m/c @ ~8w 5d
    +#2 Tx cycle 4 - 5 mg Letrozole + 75iu Follsitim & Ovidrel w/ IUI on 11/13/12 - EDD 7/23/13 
    7 week u/s revealed THREE babies, all with heartbeats.  153bpm, 148bpm, and 136bpm
    9 week u/s revealed loss of Baby B.  A and C are growing on track.  A measuring 9w1d with 172bpm and C measuring 9w0d with 179 bpm.  
    Elective sex determination u/s on 2/8 revealed... boy AND girl!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker 
  • You could boil them for a shorter period of time, about 10 minutes. I've prepped mine both with and without Dawn, and I don't find it makes a big difference.

Our answered prayer, Emilie Helen

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Diagnosed with PCOS March '10 - Started 1000mg of Metformin
    After 3 unsuccessful Clomid cycles, Provera+FSH+IUI+Progesterone=BFP!
    My Blog
    My Chart

• If i'm remembering correctly I boiled mine for ten or fifteen minutes each, then washed once and threw them in the dryer.

imageimage
    imageimage
  • image Into+the+Kitty:

If i'm remembering correctly I boiled mine for ten or fifteen minutes each, then washed once and threw them in the dryer.

This is what I did (15 minute boil), except I ran two cycles in the washer & dryer, since I noticed some of the natural oils in the water after the first initial agitation.

• image megemoney:
    When I prepped my prefolds, I didn't go the boiling route. I considered it but didn't think I had a large enough pot to do so and thought washing would just be easier. I washed and dried them once a night during the week until they'd been washed and dried 56 times. I know it seems like a lot of unnecessary washing before they've even been used, but I find that my prepping wash method works great for me while I get everything prepped before the babies come. It's one one load a night for a few nights.

I'm guessing you mean 5-6 times?  56 would be a lot, I'd need to start prepping my prefolds now!  

• image NatesCupcake47:

image megemoney:
    When I prepped my prefolds, I didn't go the boiling route. I considered it but didn't think I had a large enough pot to do so and thought washing would just be easier. I washed and dried them once a night during the week until they'd been washed and dried 56 times. I know it seems like a lot of unnecessary washing before they've even been used, but I find that my prepping wash method works great for me while I get everything prepped before the babies come. It's one one load a night for a few nights.

I'm guessing you mean 5-6 times?  56 would be a lot, I'd need to start prepping my prefolds now!  

If she was on mobile, the bump removes the hyphen, so I am certain she means 5-6x. :)

My unbleached organic toddler prefolds took FOREVER to prep. But the bleached ones which I have in the infant sizes were ready in 3-4 washes on at least warm, and a dry in between. I only used detergent the first time. Dawn is a good option - it would break down any repelling materials. 

I haven't done boiling myself. 

My third child and second VBAC baby!
    First VBAC birth story - a 2 hr homebirth
    Second VBAC birth story
    - unattended hospital water birth
  • Thank you all for the replies! I think I will give the boiling and one wash cycle a try tomorrow and if they're not ready I'll just keep washing them until they are. 
    imageimageimageimage
  • I prepped my first 6 the normal way....Bummis premie size and used those while using sposies to test out cd with this LO. Then I bought 6 Osocozy ones with white stitching around them and just washed them with the first 6 until ready....then Ibought some with the yellow stitching around and did the same thing. When I bought the second batch with yellow stitching, I boiled them for a bit and then washed with my next load of dirty diapers.