February 2012 Moms

Help me understand...

I'm being serious here.

A lot of people seem to have an issue with induction, but isn't is the same principle as a RCS?  I haven't heard anyone say that their RCS was at 40+ weeks so why is an induction at 40+ weeks so much worse?

And inducing early, like at 38 weeks, isn't that the same as scheduling a RCS at 38 weeks?  Same result, just different approach.

I honestly don't get it.  I understand that inductions involve different medications to get the process going and can end up with a CS but why do we get all bent out of shape about a CS resulting from an induction as opposed to one that was scheduled?

Lilypie - (JrNi)

Lilypie - (y35Q)

Re: Help me understand...

• RCS as in repeat c-section, right?

There are risks involved with vbacs. Some hosptial's don't allow vbacs. Having an induction when it isn't medically necessary  is what typically results in a c-section. A lot of  women have inductions because they're 40 weeks and just ready to have the baby(they're uncomfortable and just want to get it over it). Being induced for a reason other than it being medically necessary is what people get worked up about. I don't care one way or the other, it's your body, baby, and your choice. I don't understand getting worked up over it. I try and inform my friends when they talk about inductions and that's about all I can do.

imageimage

BFP #1 July 4, 2011 Baby girl born Feb 22, 2012!!
    BFP #2 December 17, 2012 MMC January 24, 2013
    BFP #3 April 7, 2013 Baby girl born December 11, 2013!!
    Amelia has Hypoplastic Left Heart Syndrome. She has had 3 open heart surgeries, 1 g-tube surgery, and one tracheostomy. She is the strongest, most precious little fighter. 
    You can follow her at. Www.ameliafaithsheart.blogspot.com
  • It's not the timing or the procedure, it's the reason. If there is a medical reason your baby needs to be born early, then by all means get it here any way you can. But if you're scheduling the baby's birth out of convenience [either yours or someone else's], then yeah, I don't care if you're induced or have a C section, I reserve the right to side eye.
  • Loading the player...
  • klutzy - that is so funny to hear.  I know so many RCS moms who have it scheduled for 38 weeks (and a few days sometimes) because the doctor didn't want her to go into labor.  I guess that is why I was confused.  I didn't understand why a CS was ok at 38 weeks but induction before 40 was bad.

Thanks!

Lilypie - (JrNi)

Lilypie - (y35Q)

• imageklutzygrl26:

I could go on and on about this, but I'll try and make it brief.

1) Without a medical indication, NO ONE should be getting a repeat c-section

I cannot stand this. I haven't settled on the idea of a rcs just yet, but who are you to judge whether or not I should or shouldn't have one. The hospital that I am delivering at just recently changed their policy to allow vbacs. If they were to change it back before I deliver, I would have a rcs. I know someone personally who had uterine rupture while attempting a vbac.  I think it's incredibly judgmental to say that no one should have a RCS.

imageimage

BFP #1 July 4, 2011 Baby girl born Feb 22, 2012!!
    BFP #2 December 17, 2012 MMC January 24, 2013
    BFP #3 April 7, 2013 Baby girl born December 11, 2013!!
    Amelia has Hypoplastic Left Heart Syndrome. She has had 3 open heart surgeries, 1 g-tube surgery, and one tracheostomy. She is the strongest, most precious little fighter. 
    You can follow her at. Www.ameliafaithsheart.blogspot.com
  • I object to both.  I went over 40 weeks with all three kids and delivered all vaginally, all three with induction assistance (even when my body tries to labor it sucks at it...even with my water breaking and 48 hours of ctx I had to have pitocin).  If I had a dollar for every time people asked me if I was going to schedule it so it would be "done" I would be loaded.  I just don't get the people who shave two weeks off a ~40 week process and think that's an acceptable risk for a miniscule convenienve trade off.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I have a cervical septum that prevents vaginal delivery. DD is (and will be) my only child. My c/s was scheduled for 39w1d. I was allowed to choose any day I wanted - once I reached 39w and up to my EDD. They wouldn't do anything prior to 39w or later than my EDD because they didn't want to risk me going into labor, and my doctor was only available on Monday or Wednesday - so I chose Monday.

As it turned out, I started having contractions early in the morning on the day of my scheduled c/s, so I picked the right day after all. They told me that they would have seen me later that day if I hadn't been scheduled.

I would absolutely schedule a repeat c/s if we had another baby. It's medically necessary for me. However, when not medically necessary, I don't think inductions/elective c-sections are a good idea - especially prior to 39 weeks, and I'm surprised there are doctors who are willing to do that.

A+S | Met 8/24/06 | Married 9/27/08
    Started TTC 12/2008 | dx PCOS 5/2009
    6 failed clomid/femara/TI cycles, 1 failed clomid/ovidrel/IUI cycle
    Successful Cycle: 5/12/11 - 1000mg Metformin + 100mg Clomid(late response) + TI = BFP

2/13/12 - We proudly welcomed our daughter, Hadley Teresa!
    Lots of Luck to all of 3T/IF

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

www.MyVacationCountdown.com Ticker

• Klutzy I have a personal question if you don't mind answering:

I was induced at 41w- first birth and I had zero dialation/effacement. (sp?) Could I have done anything to help this? I exercised throughout my entire pregnancy up until my induction date, so I don't know why my cervix did not progress. When I was induced, they started me with a pill to dilate, then the balloon (which my H said was huge!), and then pitocin. Austin could not tolerate it, I only got to 6cm in 12 hours, and I had a c/s. What could I have done? Anything? I honestly don't have regrets and I was disappointed but I went into birth knowing anything is possible.  I will most likely have a RCS for our (God-willing) 2nd and 3rd children because a uterine rupture scares the hell out of me.  

BFP 2/14/11 MC 2/28/11 BFP #2- 6/12/11- Austin born 2/22/12 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I look at this a couple different ways.  One, 40 weeks does not mean 40 weeks for every woman.  Some people ovulate really early and some really late so your body may not go into labor at exactly 40 weeks and your baby may not be ready if you ovulated really late.  Also, it is a fact that you have a greater chance at a CS when your labor is induced rather it be 37 weeks or 40 weeks so why take the chance if you don't have to?  Therefore, I don't think you should rush  and be induced at exactly at 40 weeks because you aren't giving your body time to do it's job.  But, if you choose to do so I don't think it's the end of the world, just not what I would choose.  

I know some doctor's schedule c-sections prior to 40 weeks because they can't risk the mom going into labor when they know they will have to deliver via CS due to position or the mother's uterus, etc.  I had a cs after going into labor at exactly 40 weeks, I also have a really narrow pelvis that is genetic in all my female family members who have all had cs but I still attempted a vaginal birth.  Next time I may still try my luck with a VBAC; if I opt for a RCS I would hope to schedule it at 40 weeks, 3 days if I don't go into labor on my own before that.  If I know my exact conception date like my last pregnancy I may schedule it at 40 weeks exactly because I will be comfortable in knowing that my LO is fully cooked.

Hope this all made sense.  I keep coming back to my post between working. 

Anniversary Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • imageklutzygrl26:
    imageJeanine88:

Klutzy I have a personal question if you don't mind answering:

I was induced at 41w- first birth and I had zero dialation/effacement. (sp?) Could I have done anything to help this? I exercised throughout my entire pregnancy up until my induction date, so I don't know why my cervix did not progress. When I was induced, they started me with a pill to dilate, then the balloon (which my H said was huge!), and then pitocin. Austin could not tolerate it, I only got to 6cm in 12 hours, and I had a c/s. What could I have done? Anything? I honestly don't have regrets and I was disappointed but I went into birth knowing anything is possible.  I will most likely have a RCS for our (God-willing) 2nd and 3rd children because a uterine rupture scares the hell out of me.  

Jeanine- I honestly don't think there is anything you could have done.  Some of the main modifiable risk factors for c/s are  morbid obesity and excessive weight gain during pregnancy, but I'm doubting this was an issue if you were exercising the entire time.  It's hard to say whether or not you would have had a successful vaginal delivery if your baby could have tolerated it.  Did you get to 6cm and then stop dilating or did they have to deliver you because Austin's heart tracing was concerning?  Since your physcian/midwife used cervical ripening agents (I'm thinking it was cytotec and a foleybulb) before using pitocin there's really nothing else from a medical standpoint that could have been done.

Thanks- I did put on a lot of weight- I really don't know how because I ate healthy and worked out, but I did exceed the recommendations, unfortunately.  We got to 6cm and then it stopped progressing- they tried to see if I would progress on my own any further and and gave me 2-3 hours I believe but I did not. I am ok with it- Austin was born healthy and has actually never even had a fever up until this point in his life, we were able to BF and I fortunately lost all of my weight and then some. I get a little sensitive when people bash c/s because I feel like I couldn't have avoided it, but it's ok. Thank you for your opinion- I have always been curious if there was anything else I could have done.  All that matters is he came and was/is healthy!  

BFP 2/14/11 MC 2/28/11 BFP #2- 6/12/11- Austin born 2/22/12 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"