Toddlers: 12 - 24 Months
Options

Formula

Anyone still have their LO's on formula? If so, how did you wean or did you go cold turkey?

DS and DD will be 14 months in a little less than a week, and we are still weaning.... (I know I know, kinda late to the game). I just get concerned because DS is a very picky eater and doesn't look like he eats enough to me... DD eats just fine! I'm looking at giving milk in the morning with breakfast or before they eat breakfast-- water or watered down juice during the day, and milk at night after dinner or with dinner... Does that sound right?

Re: Formula

• Options

I never gave formula, but I weaned from bm (I just eliminated one bm feeding every week until I was done). 

Juice has no nutritional value.  Our pedi told us not to give juice until DS is 2.  I didn't give any juice to my older LO until she was 2 1/2.  Even then, she only has juice when she goes to birthday parties.  We don't have juice at home.  It is a treat for her.   

As for milk, my DS drinks 3 1/2 cups a day.  They should be drinking from 14-24 ounces a day at this age.  They shouldn't drink more than 24 ounces because it interferes with the iron intake (if I recall correctly).  Mine drinks one right before breakfast (15 minutes before breakfast), the second with lunch, the third in the afternoon (around 4 pm).  He also drinks 3 ounces right before bedtime.  Thereafter, we brush his 4 little teeth.  So, he drinks about 19 ounces a day, but he really likes milk.  My DD at that age only drank about 15 ounces (with breakfast, lunch and dinner).       

• Options
    I think your plan sounds fine.  DD always got 6 ounce bottles.  When it was time to wean we did one week of 2 ounces milk and 4 ounces formula.  Then we did 4 ounces milk and 2 ounces formula, then we dropped the formula all together.  She did great!  I still warm the milk up a tad just to take the chill off, she doesn't like drinking it straight from the fridge.  She gets a cup of watered down juice after breakfast, milk with her morning and afternoon snacks, and milk right before bed.  She also gets a cup of water that hangs out with her all day so she can drink whenever she's thirsty.  Once we got rid of the formula, we took away all bottles except her bedtime one (it's a vehicle for meds she won't take any other way).  That was cold turkey because she was already doing well with the sippy cup, and she's been great!

Married DH 7/30/11

CSC arrived 5/7/12 

CHC arrived 6/2/14

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Thank you everyone for all of your replies and suggestions. I really appreciate the feedback!! :)
  • Options

We ditched formula at 1 year.  I started with giving him it only in his night time bottle and just whole milk at breakfast and lunch.  Then after a week or so we cut the night time bottle.  I never gave him milk in a bottle either.

We also moved to another country at this time so we kept the night time bottle a little longer to make transition easier. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"