Babies: 9 - 12 Months

Thoughts on pacifiers, lovies, soothers...

Our 9 month old usually falls asleep with a pacifier. Now that she's more mobile we removed the mesh bumper from the crib and the pacifiers tend to end up way underneath it. I'm looking for a way to keep them where she and I can reach them, and I was considering a little blanket/lovey type thing.

She's also going through a tough teething stage so I thought it might be extra comforting to her if it was chewy. She's been difficult to get to sleep lately with the teething discomfort and separation anxiety so I'll try anything to comfort her... And I thought 9 months would be a fun age :/

I just don't want her to end up being that kid who took her blankie to prek or pitches a fit if she's without her paci. What's the consensus around here on lovies, or soothers, or whatever they're called? I need some advice from other mommas who've been there.
BabyFetus Ticker
Jessica's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
9/50

Re: Thoughts on pacifiers, lovies, soothers...

• DS never took a pacifier and hasn't used a lovey or anything. He also hated being swaddled. Maybe he's weird haha. I hear the sooner you break the pacifier habit the better. I saw a kid who was atleast 3 or 4 years old at the zoo today and he was walking around sucking on a pacifier. I definitely side eyed.
  • RiasRias
    Sixth Anniversary 100 Comments
    My DD takes one sometimes to sleep and if she wakes up in the middle of the night I put it in and she falls asleep. I don't want her getting too used to it. In fact for the past two nights I've been making her fall asleep without it. I want to stop the whole paci thing before she gets too attached.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • My kid is 21 months.  He has two lovies that he's attached to.  And he still has a pacifier.  But both are only for when he's in his crib and sleeping.  He doesn't ask for them aside from then.  So I'm really not concerned about him wanting to take them to kindergarten.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Taking away the paci isn't even on my radar yet.  DS1 had it until 2.5 but it was only used in the bed and on long car trips (we regularly traveled 9+ hours when he was that young).  He has no teeth issues and he gave it up on his own with no fight at all.  

image   image

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • DS (almost 4) had a paci for sleeping as a baby.  He gave it up easily around 18 months, when he started finding stuffed animals he liked to cuddle.  He has a special lovey that sometimes goes to school for nap time, but for the most part stays at home.  A lot of his friends at school bring their lovies. 

DD loves her pacis.  They are only for sleeping.  I would hope she can ditch them before she is 2, but I really don't stress about this type of stuff.

DS born 8/8/09 and DD born 6/12/12.
  • We only give DD her paci for sleeping, and she's already started to give it up a bit on her own. She also has a lovey...also only for sleeping. I wouldn't worry about it too much.
  • Ds doesn't have a lovey yet, but he does use a pacifier while sleeping. He uses it to start the night, but when it falls out, he doesn't seem to care; and he uses it for naps. I'm not willing to part with it just yet! Ds' pedi said that it was perfectly fine to use the pacifier for sleeping only up to 2 years old.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • My personal opinion is that if the WHO recommends breastfeeding until 2 then developmentally sucking is appropriate until then.

DD just turned a year and still uses a pacifier. This week I stopped having it clipped to her during the day, and only offer it if she needs comfort, in the car and at nap and bed times. SHe has always used it to fall asleep at night, but has never needed it to fall back asleep on her own in her crib.

My plan is to have her completely off using it by around 18months -2. I don't plan to replace it with anything just wean her off it's use. I know I can't control her choosing a lovey/comfort item to replace her pacifier, but I don't want to encourage her to be too attached to any object. In fact,  I rotate which blanket, stuffed animal or small toy is in her crib every few days.

• Thanks for the replies. I guess I won't worry too much about her having a pacifier or lovey yet... as long as she's happy we're all happy!
    Divefrog that's a great idea to rotate the toys. I don't want dd getting too attached to one particular object either.
    BabyFetus Ticker
    Jessica's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    9/50
  • image MooOink:
    DS never took a pacifier and hasn't used a lovey or anything. He also hated being swaddled. Maybe he's weird haha. I hear the sooner you break the pacifier habit the better. I saw a kid who was atleast 3 or 4 years old at the zoo today and he was walking around sucking on a pacifier. I definitely side eyed.

This for me too.  Neither of mine take a pacifier.  DS used to but one day just decided he didn't want it anymore.  That was around 5 months.

image Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image image image image
  • If your LO already uses a paci at night and is losing it in the crib, you can use a paci attached. You know, the thing that attaches to clothing and hooks on the paci. I clip DD's on her under her armpit so it doesn't bother her when she sleeps. Yeah sure, people might not want to do this because it's a choking hazard and what not, but it's never been a problem for us and I wad up a lot of clothing on her sleep sack so it's nice and tight. This way she can't lose it.
  • image Latham12:
    If your LO already uses a paci at night and is losing it in the crib, you can use a paci attached. You know, the thing that attaches to clothing and hooks on the paci. I clip DD's on her under her armpit so it doesn't bother her when she sleeps. Yeah sure, people might not want to do this because it's a choking hazard and what not, but it's never been a problem for us and I wad up a lot of clothing on her sleep sack so it's nice and tight. This way she can't lose it.

We use the paci clip too. We're not getting rid of the paci yet. Our goal is to be done with it by the time he is 2. DD never took a paci so this is new to me. 

DS has 2 loveys (they are the same so we can wash one). Why don't you want your LO to be attached to a lovey? It is comforting to them. DD has a blankie that she loves and used to need to bring everywhere, but she has outgrown the need to do that. She uses it for sleep times or when she is upset. You never had a special teddy bear or something growing up? I don't see the problem with having a lovey for as long as your LO is attached to it.  

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickers