Two Under 2

Breast feeding

Anyone help talk me off the ledge? I have one that just turned two and one that is two weeks. I am really struggling with breast feeding. Newborn is eating every two hours for half hour to a hour at a time. He is very fussy and I can't get anything done. My poor two year old is suffering as well. How do you handle cooking, cleaning, and keeping big bro/sis happy while you're busy nursing?
Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

Re: Breast feeding

• You have to do whats best for you.. everyones situation is different. For me it hasnt been too bad so far (DS1 is almost 2, DS2 is almost 2 weeks), but DS2 will nurse and then sleep for 2-3 hours, so I have that time to get things done or play with my DS1. Have you tried pumping at all and letting your DH or someone else help with feedings every now and then to give you a little break? Good luck!

BFP 5/21/10, Missed m/c 7/5/10 at 11w3d (baby measured 7wks), D&C 7/7/10

Aug/Sept 2010 - CD3&10 b/w & u/s, genetic testing, SA, HSG, & Lap/Hyst to remove septum

12/09/10 BFP -- 7/05/11 DS born at 33w5d. Came home after 23d in NICU at 37w0d

June 2012 - TTC #2! -- 10/05/12 BFP --  5/23/13 DS2 born at 37w1d! Yay full term!

Surprise BFP 6/25/14 LO#3 due Feb2015!

imageimage
  • I only have one for a few more months, but your newborn sounds like DD when she was a baby. She was happiest in arms or nursing. She also nursed for long stretches. My life saver was the Moby. I have tons of pictures of her in the Moby while I cooked, cleaned, played games with DH, etc. I'm planning on doing the same with DS when he arrives because I cannot imaging caring for 2u2 otherwise.

Do you have a wrap or carrier of some sort that you can try with your newborn?

• ebp913ebp913
    250 Answers 1000 Comments 250 Love Its Fourth Anniversary
    image bookworm982:

I only have one for a few more months, but your newborn sounds like DD when she was a baby. She was happiest in arms or nursing. She also nursed for long stretches. My life saver was the Moby. I have tons of pictures of her in the Moby while I cooked, cleaned, played games with DH, etc. I'm planning on doing the same with DS when he arrives because I cannot imaging caring for 2u2 otherwise.

Do you have a wrap or carrier of some sort that you can try with your newborn?

I agree with the carrier.  That saved me when DS was so fussy for the first 2 months.  I would give nursing a bit longer before you quit.  I felt like things got a lot better at week 6 if you can hold out that long.   

image   image
    We were 2 under 2, now heading to 3 under 3
    Team Green turned Team Pink with #1, Team Green turned Team Blue with #2, Team Green again with #3!
  • It sucks.  I did the bare minimum of cooking and cleaning for the first few months.  DS1 watched more tv than I wanted and got more snacks than I would have liked but it was temporary and way better now.  

Do you have any family help?  If not maybe consider a mother's helper.  Maybe a high school or college student who is on break to come over a few times a week - they can help with cleaning or cooking or they can take your toddler to the park or do crafts and such.  Like if they come over in the morning and help until the toddler goes down for nap time it would make such a difference.

Even if you switch to formula the baby will still need to eat often and you'll still need to hold them (and the bottle) for the next few months.  (plus then you'll have to wash bottles) 

image   image

• QmommyQmommy
    5 Love Its

Another vote for a baby carrier.  Learn to BF in that and your life will become more manageable.  But also give yourself some time to adjust as well as your DS.  Let the dishes sit, laundry remain unfolded.  When you have a moment, things can get done.  It may not be at the pace you would like but you can do it!  

Also, if you are tending to DS and the Bbaby starts fussing, finish with DS then tend to the baby.  A little crying wont hurt the baby. 

Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickersLilypie Pregnancy tickers