February 2013 Moms

EBF baby won't take bottle

So I'm having a crazy time trying to get DS to take a bottle of pumped milk.  I've tried 4 different bottle types, fresh, refrigerated,  and frozen bm.  I've tried dream feeds, me giving the bottle, DH giving the bottle with me out of the house, different times of day.  I work pt and take DS with me, but I'm getting back to teaching my dance classes and have to leave him at home at various times.

Any advice or suggestions?  I'm really at a loss here. 

Surprise!  BFP 12/1/13...EDD 7/29/14
Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Maternity tickers

M/C 6/17/07
M/C 10/31/11

Re: EBF baby won't take bottle

• I know every baby is different and what works for one won't necesarily work for another, but here's what works for my DS.

We use 8 oz Avent natural bottles with the slowest flow newborn nipple [even though he is 3.5 months]. My DH usually feeds him while I pump on the opposite couch, he usually takes 4 oz at a time once a day [he gets it straight from the tap the rest of the time until I go back to work, boo!]. DH usually burps him once or twice while feeding and switches which side DS is on after each burp. I have personally only given him a bottle while he was in the car seat while DH was driving, seemed to actually put him at a good angle for taking the bottle. The milk in the bottle is usually what I have pumped from the day before which was refrigerated, all we do is put in a mug of warm water to take the chill out but it is not really ever back to room temperature.

One tip I have is that we usually don't keep the nipple in the fridge and don't put that on until it's actually time to eat because we found that he did not like drinking from a chilly nipple [and who would? haha]
  • Luke takes a bottle best while in the carseat too. We also use the Avent bottles with newborn nipples. He took a bottle fine for a while but now he only takes it in the carseat lol he also only takes it warm.
  • I've heard many moms say that the bottle needs to be significantly hotter than they expected. I know this was true for DD2.
    View Full Size Image
    Lilypie - (kxiS)
    Lilypie - (BG2d)
  • image Teacher Clark:
    I've heard many moms say that the bottle needs to be significantly hotter than they expected. I know this was true for DD2.

Yep that is true for us too!
  • JRomeHJRomeH
    Ninth Anniversary 250 Answers 2500 Comments 100 Love Its
    Thank you all...I'll try everything.  We have Avent classic bottles, Avent natual bottles, Dr. Browns, and Playtex.  Nothing seems to work, but I'll keep trying!

M/C 6/17/07
    M/C 10/31/11
  • My DD only likes the Medela bottles. Sometimes she just doesn't eat when I'm gone and eats a lot more when I get back. If she's hungry enough, she will eat.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • aml519aml519
    Tenth Anniversary
    We've had good luck with the Tommee Tippee bottles. The LC suggested facing the baby out when giving the bottle.
    BabyFruit Ticker

my read shelf:
    Amanda's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • Tommee Tippee look like boobs :)

We are so thankful that our second daughter, Lillian Elizabeth "Lily", was born healthy and happy on February 11, 2013.  We love her to pieces.  

We lost our first daughter, Hannah Grace on May 4, 2011.  She was buried on May 14 during a beautiful service at my home church. We are grateful that if she could not be here with us, that she is healed and whole with the Lord. We look forward to the day when we will get to meet her. We love her so much.

• I'm mobile so I can't see how old your LO is, but they make sippy cups for 4 month olds. We are thinking of trying this, since DS has refused our attempts at introducing the bottle so far.

I like cookies.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • JRomeHJRomeH
    Ninth Anniversary 250 Answers 2500 Comments 100 Love Its

image eriannc22:
    I'm mobile so I can't see how old your LO is, but they make sippy cups for 4 month olds. We are thinking of trying this, since DS has refused our attempts at introducing the bottle so far.

Any specific brand? 

M/C 6/17/07
    M/C 10/31/11
  • SagenSagen
    2500 Comments 500 Love Its First Anniversary Name Dropper
    All my babies would not take a bottle, we just went straight to sippy. They don't make the sippy we used anymore which is unfortunate. If you can find a good sippy I would go with that, the upside of no bottles, is no weaning from them!

Mom to 4 cute kids! 9 yo girl 7 yo boy 5 yo boy and new baby boy!
  • image JRomeH:

image eriannc22:
    I'm mobile so I can't see how old your LO is, but they make sippy cups for 4 month olds. We are thinking of trying this, since DS has refused our attempts at introducing the bottle so far.

Any specific brand? 

I don't remember what brand I saw, just that it was labeled 4 months. Some of them say 6 months or more.

I like cookies.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker