Baby Names

Is this real life? (Unbelievable request)

I cannot believe someone had the gall to even THINK this thought. WTF is wrong with people? Swistle is WAY nicer in her response than I ever would have been. 

http://www.swistle.com/babynames/2013/05/11/naming-issue-should-she-ask-the-other-family-to-change-their-daughters-nickname-so-its-not-the-same-as-her-daughters-name/#comments

I have a naming issue. It?s not a baby-naming issue, since the baby girl in question has now grown to school age. My daughter?s name is Eve. One of the reasons I chose it is because it?s so short you can?t make a nickname from it! Also I did think it would be unusual. I understand that it has gone up the baby-name charts in recent years (rats!) but it isn?t popular in our area, thank goodness. So I was surprised when she started school recently to discover a classmate, named Evangeline, who goes by Eve as well. They use their last name initials to get around it and it doesn?t seem to bother them; they are pals. I?m the one that?s bothered! I wish Evangeline?s family would pick another nickname for their daughter so it?s easier to tell them apart. I believe that going by the full name is off the table, but they have lots of other choices! We have run into confusion a couple of times with classmates/parents of classmates getting the girls confused. Nothing fatal, but still! I would hate for my girl to have her feelings hurt because of it.

Would it be wrong of me to approach the other parents and ask them to consider picking another nickname for their girl? Am I being too uptight? Is it not my problem? It?s probably not my problem. It isn?t going to go away though ? the girls are in an enriched program and are likely to continue in the same class until they are teenagers.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Always missing our first son Caleb, born at 19w3d on 4.12.10.

Re: Is this real life? (Unbelievable request)

• Dafuq is a swistle?

Anyway-- this woman is completly over the top nuts.  I am going to chose to believe this is MUD.

Married 11/23/07 BFP 1- EDD 2/09/11 Missed MC DX @11 weeks D&C- 7/25/10 BFP 2- EDD 12/22/11 Natural MC @ 5w 2d BFP 3- EDD 1/25/12 DD Josephine born 1/16/12

• I can't believe people think this way, that's so crazy.
  • lol forever. I can just imagine being those other parents in the most awkward conversation ever.

That said, I've had good luck dividing up nickname territory IRL ? three of the four women in my class at grad school have the same name and we collectively decided that we should each claim a share of the nn territory at the outset of our program. It worked well for us, but, of course, it was a mutual agreement, not a freakout like this.

• She is hilarious. I would love to talk to her about her "issue."

LMAO!

If I were Evangeline/Eve's mother and this woman came up to me and said what she wrote above, I would laugh hysterically in her face...walk away...laugh some more...and probably fall to the ground in a fit of tears and laughter.

Silly nutjob woman. Poor daughter.
    • • •
    milo '06 | fiona '09 | ian '12 | carys '13
    "Dreams are true while they last, and do we not live in dreams?" Alfred Tennyson
    ssa list | name nerds real top 7000 boys & girls | why spelling matters
    TB FAQ Section
    • • •
  • ZimgerZimger
    5000 Comments 250 Answers 250 Love Its Second Anniversary

I...I don't even know what to say. If someone came up and made such a ridiculous request I just don't know what I would do...

What a weirdo.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • image Zimger:

I...I don't even know what to say. If someone came up and made such a ridiculous request I just don't know what I would do...

What a weirdo.

this!   I would love for a mom to come up to me and ask me to change my child's nickname.   Good luck with that.

April siggy challenge...Teen crush

• image Helenahhandbasket:

Dafuq is a swistle?

Anyway-- this woman is completly over the top nuts.  I am going to chose to believe this is MUD.

Don't know where the name comes from, but the Swistle baby name blog is a fun read (don't always agree with the suggestions, but always interesting).

Always missing our first son Caleb, born at 19w3d on 4.12.10.

Dafuq is a swistle?

I don't know... she spent an awful lot of energy trying to explain/justify herself, I think she's for real.  What a fruit loop. 

• No. Way.

I would say that it's unbelievable, but I absolutely believe that people out there really are this ridiculous.

Waiting on your BFP is like Charlie checking for his Golden Ticket

(Kudos to HisGirlFriday929 for finding this gif for me)

VOTE on my Name List

• I like how she just casually dropped in the non-relevant fact that her daughter's in the enriched program. 

• "One of the reasons I chose it is because it?s so short you can?t make a nickname from it!"

Also, not all nicknames are shorter than the original.   Eve could be nn'd as Evie.

Waiting on your BFP is like Charlie checking for his Golden Ticket

(Kudos to HisGirlFriday929 for finding this gif for me)

VOTE on my Name List

• image Meggiemuggins:
    I like how she just casually dropped in the non-relevant fact that her daughter's in the enriched program. 

LOL, I noticed that too. The mom sounds like a special snowflake all around.

Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMug Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMug

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • image caramia582:
    image Helenahhandbasket:

Dafuq is a swistle?

I don't know... she spent an awful lot of energy trying to explain/justify herself, I think she's for real.  What a fruit loop. 

I think you are probably right. 

Married 11/23/07 BFP 1- EDD 2/09/11 Missed MC DX @11 weeks D&C- 7/25/10 BFP 2- EDD 12/22/11 Natural MC @ 5w 2d BFP 3- EDD 1/25/12 DD Josephine born 1/16/12

• CRAZY!  The woman needs a straitjacket.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • image mj.reilly:
    She is hilarious. I would love to talk to her about her "issue."

LMAO!

If I were Evangeline/Eve's mother and this woman came up to me and said what she wrote above, I would laugh hysterically in her face...walk away...laugh some more...and probably fall to the ground in a fit of tears and laughter.

Silly nutjob woman. Poor daughter.
    Ha! All of this! Except, I would somehow manage, between the peals of laughter, to tell this woman to F Off.

4/12/10 - Began TTC 8/2012 - IFV #1 - 18 follicles retrieved, 11 usable, 10 fertilized, 9 continued to grow, 2 tranferred, BFN :( 9/2012 to 10/2012- Treated for uterine infection 11/12/12 - Began IVF #2 12/19/12 - 2 embryos tranferred 12/24/12 - Tested Christmas Eve morning - first ever BFP!!! with a due date of 9/6 :) 12/28/12 - Beta #1 - 193 12/31/12 - Beta #2 - 624 1/7/13 - Beta #3 - 7544 1/14/13 - Beta #4 - 31,067 1/16/13 - IT'S TWINS!!!! Two healthy heartbeats! 8/22/13 9:51 and 9:52pm- Our precious Ashley and Kayla arrived in perfect health.  (Ashley - 6lbs 0oz, 18.5 inches.  Kayla - 5lbs 2oz, 17 inches.)

photo TwinsTriplets.jpg

Lilypie - (TZV1)image

• That's extremely unreasonable for the mom's to talk about this but if the girls were bothered by it and decided to talk than that's fine. I went to school with two Gabriella's LN began with L, both NN'd Gabby. It was really confusing for them so one decided to stick with Gabby and the other did Ella, they decided together though, not their moms!
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • CoIvieCoIvie
    250 Answers 500 Comments 250 Love Its Name Dropper
    Lol. "Wow" is all I can say to that. I can't believe that was even a thought in someone's brain
  • Holy entitlement! I can totally see someone wanting to do that, though. Heaven forbid your special snowflake have to share a name with someone else!

Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Dafuq is a swistle?

I sure hope so!

• Ha! Thanks for the laugh! I can only imagine my response if this nutjob asked me this IRL. She is certifiable. 

Anniversary

• Whoa. That is one crazy mama. I can't even imagine.

• Lol wow.  I grew up one of several Katy/Katies... in fact, though there were several of us, we all had last initials that at least one other had, so we couldn't even just be Katy (Last Initial).

But... ohmygod!  I survived.  

By the way, OP, I LOVE that you named your daughter Carys.  One of my favorites and definitely on the list for a girl! 

Met my soul mate October 2011 ~ Married August 2012

BFP September 2013 ~ Our baby boy is due May 2014

• Special.

imageimageimage

Trying to get knocked up since June 2012 ~ Dx: PCOS

BFP 7.24.13 ~ EDD 4.2.14 ~ m/c  9.16.13 @ 11w4d

TTGP 2013 Best Blog ~ Keep On, Charting On

• Oh man, this one made me laugh for awhile. If anyone ever approached me for a reason like this I honestly don't think I could keep a straight face. Lots of people in the world have the same name/nn and have survived. 

Daisypath Anniversary tickersimage