Parenting

Palmetto Bugs- AGHHHHHHHH!!

Or big azz cockroaches!!  We have seen two in our house this week!  One alive, one dead. 

I will sleep with my eyes open tonight.

I am terrified of these monsters.

Anyone else share my fear or issue with some being found inside?!?!

Misery loves company! 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Palmetto Bugs- AGHHHHHHHH!!

• We didn't have them as big in NM, but we had cockroaches.  They were rarely in the house but when I would find one I'd freak out and call the bug guy the next day.  They live in the ground and crawl out at night so they'd be all over our patio at night and we'd find dead ones out there in the morning.  Some were an inch long!  Blech.  I'd much rather find spiders in my house than roaches.  
    I give up trying to get a ticker.  I have a DD that is 2.5 years old and is awesome.  Maybe I'll add a quote to distinguish myself.  Hmmm.  How about...

"It is more fun to talk with someone who doesn't use long, difficult words but rather short, easy words like "What about lunch?" - A.A. Milne, Winnie-the-Pooh
  • YES OMG.

I've seen two in my house this week, it's definitely because it's been so dry--they come in looking for water (they're also called "water bugs" around here).  I tell myself that they aren't the "gross" kind of roach and aren't a reflection of the cleanliness of my house, but they still skeeve the bejeesus out of me.

I can't crush them.  I can't stand the crunch sound. The best I can do is put a water glass over them so they slowly suffocate and then make MH clean up their bodies.

• Loading the player...
  • There aren't words for the depth of my hatred for these bugs.

// I love you too. //

• imagemorgann2010:
    Just burn your house down, it's too late. I drive though a swarm of cicadas last week, at least 200 of them. There were guts all over my windshield. I don't plan on leaving my house for any reason this year.

// I love you too. //

• We recently sprayed and apparently a handful of roaches were just lurking around.  They were all poisoned and crawled out into the open to die as punishment for us spraying.  I swept five up last week.  GROSS.

// I love you too. //

• I feel your pain lady!  I'm more scared of cockroaches than any other bug.  In fact, I'm not scared of any other bug.  Not even spiders.  We see them in our house as well.  Especially this time of year.  I'm with ScoutKate, I can not squish them.  It grosses me out.  I'll spray them with bug spray, wait for them to die and then use the broom and dust pan to sweep them up. 
     Lilypie - (gu1R)
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

• At least in NM, cockroaches crawl in under the doors and the baby ones come in under the foundation of the house.  So if you just spray around the outside of the foundation and just at the bases of the doors into the house, it keeps them out. We do find a lot of dead ones on the sidewalks and patio after spraying though.  We spray 2x per year.  Spring and Fall.  I don't spray inside the house.
    I give up trying to get a ticker.  I have a DD that is 2.5 years old and is awesome.  Maybe I'll add a quote to distinguish myself.  Hmmm.  How about...

"It is more fun to talk with someone who doesn't use long, difficult words but rather short, easy words like "What about lunch?" - A.A. Milne, Winnie-the-Pooh
  • My DH is off tomorrow and I'm making him go on an extermination mission.  I want him to buy Ortho Max for the outside, Borax for the inside, clean out the cutters and bomb under our crawl space.  I'm serious, I can't handle these fluckers!

I may have to get drunk tonight to go to sleep- My DH will be working into the wee hours of the am.  

Oh the misery!!  

• I'm in middle Georgia, and we have Wolf Spiders. Dear lord. These things are HUGE, and will seriously charge at you! One chased me down the hall the other day, and I swear I could hear him yelling something about Sparta, and dining in hell. I took a picture of one once, and my flash reflected its eyes... It grossed me out so bad that I could see little demon spider eyes looking into my camera.

::shudder::
  • I'm not happy about sharing this, but here goes. Last night I glanced at the baby monitor and saw a roach/palmetto bug crawling on my sons bed. He is sleeping, so I quietly go in his room, take his blanket (where the bug was) & as I am walking out of his room, it jumped onto my arm. I screamed so loud, woke him up, and sent my husband into a panic. I literally thought I was going to die. I HATE THOSE THINGS
  • imageTabbiC:
    I'm in middle Georgia, and we have Wolf Spiders. Dear lord. These things are HUGE, and will seriously charge at you! One chased me down the hall the other day, and I swear I could hear him yelling something about Sparta, and dining in hell. I took a picture of one once, and my flash reflected its eyes... It grossed me out so bad that I could see little demon spider eyes looking into my camera. ::shudder::

// I love you too. //

• imageiheartsippycups:
    I'm not happy about sharing this, but here goes. Last night I glanced at the baby monitor and saw a roach/palmetto bug crawling on my sons bed. He is sleeping, so I quietly go in his room, take his blanket (where the bug was) & as I am walking out of his room, it jumped onto my arm. I screamed so loud, woke him up, and sent my husband into a panic. I literally thought I was going to die. I HATE THOSE THINGS

O' holy hell!!!!!!!!!!! 

• imagektshoff:

imageiheartsippycups:
    I'm not happy about sharing this, but here goes. Last night I glanced at the baby monitor and saw a roach/palmetto bug crawling on my sons bed. He is sleeping, so I quietly go in his room, take his blanket (where the bug was) & as I am walking out of his room, it jumped onto my arm. I screamed so loud, woke him up, and sent my husband into a panic. I literally thought I was going to die. I HATE THOSE THINGS

O' holy hell!!!!!!!!!!! 

I CANNOT EVEN.

When I was 12 or so I woke up in the middle of the night to a roach crawling on my face.  I swiped it off and it went flying across the room and landed in my rubbish bin.  I laid awake for probably an hour after that, just wishing I could bleach my face and listening to the stupid thing rustling around in the papers in the bin.

// I love you too. //

• imageNativeFloridian:
    imagektshoff:

imageiheartsippycups:

O' holy hell!!!!!!!!!!! 

I CANNOT EVEN.

When I was 12 or so I woke up in the middle of the night to a roach crawling on my face.  I swiped it off and it went flying across the room and landed in my rubbish bin.  I laid awake for probably an hour after that, just wishing I could bleach my face and listening to the stupid thing rustling around in the papers in the bin.

Dear, god!!!!

Yep, totally getting wasted tonight and just pass out.  

• imageTabbiC:
    I'm in middle Georgia, and we have Wolf Spiders. Dear lord. These things are HUGE, and will seriously charge at you! One chased me down the hall the other day, and I swear I could hear him yelling something about Sparta, and dining in hell. I took a picture of one once, and my flash reflected its eyes... It grossed me out so bad that I could see little demon spider eyes looking into my camera. ::shudder::

Oh yeah, I saw one of those for the first time last week.  DH had to tell me what kind of spider it was.  It was pretty big.

Lilypie - (gu1R)

• Since dd has been born, so 12 days, I've stepped on 2 effing roaches barefoot in my house. Makes me standby and want to burn the house down. We have had roaches for 4 years, yes, 4 effing years. We've had pros come and still do but every day I find at least one dead if not more. I hate hate it. It's due to our nasty neighbors too, they are hoarders for real and have tons on their lawn. It's awesome... Not. We're trying to sell and get away. I'm a neat OCD clean freak and I've cried many times over these bastard5
  • imageNativeFloridian:
    imagektshoff:

imageiheartsippycups:

O' holy hell!!!!!!!!!!! 

I CANNOT EVEN.

When I was around 7 or 8 I woke up and one was on the end of my nose!! Holy s'hit!
     Lilypie - (gu1R)

• This thread is giving me the creepy crawlies!

We are just finishing up June bug season here. I was pumping gas at the gas station last night and one flew at me and I screamed and ran inside the store before I had finished. I was too embarrassed to go back out and continue pumping so I just paid for my 18 dollars of gas [quarter tank for my mini van] and left.

image"

My 4 Angel Babies.....
    MC#1- 12/2008, MC#2- 05/2009, MC#3 07/2009, MC#4 11/2009

Training to become an IBCLC. BF Questions? Just ask!

• We live up on the hill, just moved in and we have house centipedes. Fluck my life. I have so much anxiety over them, I neve knew they existed. A couple weeks ago I walked into the bathroom at 3 am and saw some right in front of my toe and ran and turned the light on and it was a 6 inch long house centipede! I freaked and my husband woke up and thought I was exaggerating then came to kill it and he kept jumping away and it took like 5 squashes for it to die. Our normal size ones are about 2 inches. We see a couple a week, but we are making progress on caulking above and below all the baseboards and we haven't seen any in a week! Yay!

We are learning that living on the hill comes with creatures! DH opened the front door and a big wolf spider jumped inside! We out a glass over it and funnily enough while we were bending down looking at it our Orkin guy showed up.
  • Why did I come in here? Why? Why? Now I'm rehashing my own experiences with wolf spiders. Three times I have had to call my dad to come kill spiders in my house b/c DH was away for work. 100% true. I cannot deal and start to hyperventilate. And here's proof of how big and scary they are: My dad was in Vietnam, and even HE is afraid of the size of those mofos.
  • I am in TX for the week and I look everywhere for roaches.  I lift up my bed covers before I get in, I inspect the walls before I use the bathroom - I'm paranoid.  It goes back to childhood for me - I absolutely hate those disgusting things.  And I will not kill them.  Found a small one this morning and I vacuumed it up.  GAH!

• I'm going to add this my list of why I love Portland.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • This thread is making me so itchyyyyyyy...I HATE roaches.

To add to the fun.... Take a look at these charming creatures called Palo Verde beetles I had to grow up with (In Tucson AZ):

https://thedragonflywoman.com/2011/07/18/palo-verde-beetles/

And they fly too. 

I was quite excited to get AWAY from these things when I moved to So. CA

Worst story was when I was about 10, a whole bunch (practically a swarm) of these things were flying past and pummeled me as I desperately tried running for my life... bumping into me, the loud hum of hell surrounding me like a bunch of B-52s or something..... *shudddddder*

They are also known to be pretty daring... my friend and I were in the pool when we were teenagers and one literally let itself fall (or jumped more like) INTO the pool and started swimming towards us.

Hell to the no. 

Cat leg goes crazy and beats itself in the face

image  image
  • imageiheartsippycups:

OMFG Indifferent 

• imagekrptcmschfmkr128:

Morgan, where are you? We haven't had any cicadas yet *crosses fingers*

We've got the stink bug infestation. Not nearly as big as palmettos or cicadas, but OMG they get everywhere.

Not to butt in, but I'm near you, over in York County. My understanding is that they are not going to affect PA counties west of the Susquehanna, just to the east. I've read conflicting reports though. Either way, we don't have any right now, but I know they've been reported in other parts of the state! Maybe you're just far enough west to avoid them! 

• imageNativeFloridian:

imageTabbiC:
    I'm in middle Georgia, and we have Wolf Spiders. Dear lord. These things are HUGE, and will seriously charge at you! One chased me down the hall the other day, and I swear I could hear him yelling something about Sparta, and dining in hell. I took a picture of one once, and my flash reflected its eyes... It grossed me out so bad that I could see little demon spider eyes looking into my camera.

Aaaaand I peed.
  • imagemorgann2010:

imageTabbiC:
    I'm in middle Georgia, and we have Wolf Spiders. Dear lord. These things are HUGE, and will seriously charge at you! One chased me down the hall the other day, and I swear I could hear him yelling something about Sparta, and dining in hell. I took a picture of one once, and my flash reflected its eyes... It grossed me out so bad that I could see little demon spider eyes looking into my camera.

The only time I've ever seen a wolf spider, it chased me. I probably outran Usain Bolt and the whole time I was just thinking, "dear, sweet baby Jesus. Please don't let this be how I die."

You aren't kidding. I grabbed the closest thing to me [a place mat. Seemed like a good idea] and chucked it at it. Then I legitimately called my dad and had him come kill it since DH was at work. My parents live across from us.

The best time EVAR was mid fight with DH, and I go storming down the hall trying to be all bad asss, and the biggest one I ever saw jumped out from my guest room, throwing a shoe at me. True story. I told DH to kill the tarantula, and then told him we are moving!!
  • That one vignette in Stephen King's "Creepshow" ruined me forever. If I die of heart failure, it will likely be when I turn on the light in the bathroom first thing in the morning and see a roach.
    "To me, you are perfect."

• Also:  camel crickets.  They are truly of the devil.  I woke up with one in my bed once.
  • It's threads like this one that squish (SWIDT?) any desire to move to a warmer climate. Suddenly huge mosquitos and freezing temperatures don't seem so bad. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"