Breastfeeding

Pumps and UHC

I know every plan is different, but for those of you who had full coverage through UHC, did you go through one of the DME's? If so, what pump did you end up getting and from where? Did anyone go through your hospital/doctor to get one?

I need a pump for when I return to work, but the only 3 DMEs approved through UHC are EdgePark, Genadyne, and Byram.

EdgePark offers 3 pumps (Playtex, Ameda PY, and Medela Advanced) but they said UHC members aren't offered the Medela (which is what I wanted) and I would have to wait until after the baby was born to order anything, even though my insurance tells me that I can get it at anytime. Genadyne offers about 5 pumps, none of which I've heard of/am interested in. I'm trying to get a list of what Byram offers but no luck getting through yet.

Anyone have any advice or experience going through these DMEs?

**PAIF/SAIF Welcome**
TTC #1 March 2010 - Nov 2012
Me: 29, PCOS (anov), Hashimoto's Disease // DH: 30, normal SA
3 Clomid, 1 Clomid/Menopur, 1 Menopur w/ TI (CX 4x's due to cysts) - All BFN
1 Clomid/Menopur, 2 Menopur, 1 Follistim w/ IUI - All BFN
RPL & Karyotype testing normal

IUI #5 (12/1/12) --> Follistim + 1/3 hCG Trigger = BFP! EDD: 8/23/13
Betas --> 61 (13dpo) // 156 (16 dpo) // 223 (18dpo) // 656 (21 dpo)
U/S --> 5w0d - sac seen // 6w0d - hb detected // 7w0d - hb seen and heard, measuring 6w6d!
8w6d - wiggly baby! // 9w3d - wiggly baby with fingers!

Baby boy born 8/24/13

imageimageimage 

My Blog: Searching for Lucky Socks

Re: Pumps and UHC

• Any reason you're really stuck on Medela? Lots of people use and love the Ameda pump.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickers
      Francesca Pearl is here!             Josephine Hope is almost 3!
  • imageSnoopyLuv:
    Any reason you're really stuck on Medela? Lots of people use and love the Ameda pump.

The PISA is just the one I've seen recommended most and seems easiest for pumping at work. The Ameda is my 2nd choice if all else fails. But EdgePark would still make me wait until after the baby is born, which doesn't make sense to me if my insurance covers it at any time.

**PAIF/SAIF Welcome**

U/S --> 5w0d - sac seen // 6w0d - hb detected // 7w0d - hb seen and heard, measuring 6w6d!

Baby boy born 8/24/13

imageimageimage 

• Loading the player...
  • imagetheresat858:
    Why do you need a pump before the baby is born?If you need one in the first few weeks, it needs to be a hospital grade pump a Symphony or the like.nbsp; The Ameda or Medela younbsp; mention are not designed to bring your milk in/stimulate your supply; they are only designed to pump once a supply is established. nbsp;

This. You don't need a pump for the first couple weeks. If baby is in the NICU, you should use the hospital's pump.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • My insurance bills the DME through UHC, and I received my pump through the hospital; but I did have to pay the money upfront and then was reimbursed through my insurance.  They gave me the option of using several DME companies but they did not offer the Medela PISA, so I opted to go through the hospital (which does not process insurance) ad then waited for my reimbursement.  The whole process took about a month, but I started it in January and got the pump in March (a few weeks before my son was born).

Seriously though, for the first few weeks the baby should only be on the breast to stimulate the milk production.  If that isn't an option look into renting a hospital grade pump while waiting for your insurance to process a pump for you.  GL!

Pregnancy Ticker BabyFetus Ticker BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Anniversary
  • I don't have UHC but I did go through EdgePark and they sent me the Ameda PY.  Like PP said, you won't need this pump before baby is born, or in the first few weeks.  I rented a hospital grade one from the hospital, and then got mine when DD was around 5 weeks I think.  I have been using the Ameda since then (only once a day until I came back to work just last week, now using it 3-4 times a day) and so far have had no problems!

It did take a while to get the pump once I called, so I would recommend calling shortly after you get home from the hospital, so if you do want to pump after the first few weeks you'll have it.  But again, you shouldn't need it for the first 3-4 weeks. (I just waited until she was 3 weeks to even call, so I didn't get it until a few weeks after that)

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker         
  • imagetheresat858:

Why do you need a pump before the baby is born?

If you need one in the first few weeks, it needs to be a hospital grade pump - a Symphony or the like.  The Ameda or Medela you  mention are not designed to bring your milk in/stimulate your supply; they are only designed to pump once a supply is established.  

I didn't know this. I assumed you could use any pump from the get-go, so I thought I'd use the same one from the start. My insurance covers a rental also so that sounds like it's the best option if I need something early on.

I honestly wanted it before the baby just to have one less thing to worry about having to take care of with a newborn. It seems there is/has been a shortage and getting one can be a hassle, something I'd prefer to deal with while I still have a bit of energy and most of my faculties. MH wants to help with feeding so I'll be pumping and BFing from relatively early on if possible. I'm probably being naive about how likely that is though.

Thanks for the info!

**PAIF/SAIF Welcome**

Baby boy born 8/24/13

imageimageimage 

• I have UHC and I got a Medela through Edgepark. They told me when I ordered..after DS was born..that they don't offer medelas to UHC patients so I picked the ameda. A Medela showed up at my door a few days later..oops.

I rented a hospital grade pump for the first two months.
  • "My insurance bills the DME through UHC, and I received my pump through the hospital; but I did have to pay the money upfront and then was reimbursed through my insurance.  They gave me the option of using several DME companies but they did not offer the Medela PISA, so I opted to go through the hospital (which does not process insurance) ad then waited for my reimbursement.  The whole process took about a month, but I started it in January and got the pump in March (a few weeks before my son was born)."

This is how I got mine as well. Via the hospital.

I got mine in advance just in case and it's a good thing because dd went on a nursing strike at day 2 for 3 days before she returned to the breast. So, I pumped every two hours during that strike after I offered dd the breast. I was so glad I had the pump on hand. The strike started on Friday, too, so I would have been screwed trying to rent a pump over the weekend!  I understand wanting to have everything you need. Good luck! 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"