Babies on the Brain

do you wash your car?

Do you all wash your cars? Like, by hand? With soap and bucket and hose? DH made us all wash the cars yesterday. Shirya asked why. My response: I have no clue. DH got mad and said it was an activity to do as a family, to get outside, and to have a sense of pride. Umm. I get the first two by doing PLENTY of other things. And I have no sense of pride from having washed the car. Am I defective? Or is this just a man thing?

FTR: My mom's comment when I told her was... you know you can go to the car wash and pay $13 and have it done, right. I agree with my mom.

imageimage
AngelSmitty: This reminds me of something my college Human Sexuality professor used to say in class.  "Sex is between the legs.  Gender is between the ears."

Re: do you wash your car?

• My parents used to make my brother and I wash their cars as a chore during the summer. I remember hating it because my older brother would usually just sit there with the hose and yell at me to do everything. I did not get pride from washing the car.

Since I have had my own car, I can honestly say I've never hand washed it and usually go to the car wash. It's way easier and I find it oddly fun Big Smile

imageimage

• Hell no. I go to the car wash where teen boys do it for me. I pay $15 and tip $5. They detail the car after driving it through automatic wash. 

H and I once tried to wash the car like that. It ended in a soapy water fight.  

• DH does. I usually don't. If it's left to me I go to the car wash. 
     TTC#1 Since April 2011 
    BFP#1 5.23.12 C/P 4w4d 
    BFP #2 10.1.13
    EDD June 10, 2014
    imageimageimage
  • When I used to tune cars, I washed/waxed them by hand and took a lot of pride in it. I did a much better job than the car wash ever did. Now I drive a mom-mobile and I don't care as much what it looks like.
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • We don't have a driveway and I know there are regulations against the water run off. When I get it washed,!i get the Wednesday special at the local shop. 13 including tip for a vacuum, wash and dry.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

View Full Size Image

• Nope.  My sister and I did sometimes when we were kids but that was mostly so we could spray each other with hoses.  They usually looked awful and my parents would have them rewashed.
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Occasionally, I wash my car by hand. I have a brush that connects to the hose and dispenses soap. Sometimes, I drive through the car wash. I always clean the inside myself (condition the leather, dash, wash the floor mats, etc...). Any body with a vacuum can have at my floors. 
    Baby boy H is here! Born 2/1/2014 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Mysterious_wife: "And for the love of all things that sparkle, remove your last name" on BOTB.
  • do I wash my car by hand? hahahaha....I don't even wash my dishes by hand! (unless stuff is really stuck on there, not that i'm opposed to it, i just love technology) yea, i use the car wash...
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • When I was little it was great fun, so I see DH point. Now that I'm a grown up and don't have kids, I pay someone.
    First comes Love Nov 11,  2003, Then Marriage: Aug. 23, 2006. Baby??? TTC since May 2010. Started seeking additional medical intervention (again) Summer 2013, finally appointment is booked!
    Formerly buttercupaug 06 - and I was almost silver :(
    PAIF/SAIF/PGAL/PAL ALL WELCOME!
    Aug 16, 2013 - SA done - All good strong numbers
    Apr 3, 2014 - Consult with OBGYN to get my testing started.
    Mar 6, 2014 - Surprise BFP!!!! EDD Nov 9th. Consult with OBGYN changed to prenatal meet and greet!!
    imageimageimage

BabyFruit Ticker
  • I disagree.  You must feel some pride in having a clean car, otherwise why would you bother to wash it at all?

I stopped washing my car when I moved into a city.  Unless I drive down a muddy dirt road, I don't think my car gets dirty enough in the city to warrant washing it (by hand or otherwise).

• haha it's a man thing for sure.

DH washed mine yesterday... spent 2 hours doing everything from wheels to waxing. He says I don't take good care of it. My thing with cars is that I don't have a car to be flashy and no one ever rides with me. I need it to safely get me from point A to point B without any major explosions. Mechanically I always make sure the oil is changed, get regular check ups, etc. but I don't really care if the paint job lasts for 20 years.

but, I am still so thankful he loves taking care of things like this. I do really appreciate the effort even if I would have preferred those two hours to have been spent steam cleaning the carpets or building these shelves I have been begging him to build. Oh well! 

• image MandJS:
    Do you all wash your cars? Like, by hand? With soap and bucket and hose? DH made us all wash the cars yesterday. Shirya asked why. My response: I have no clue. DH got mad and said it was an activity to do as a family, to get outside, and to have a sense of pride. Umm. I get the first two by doing PLENTY of other things. And I have no sense of pride from having washed the car. Am I defective? Or is this just a man thing? FTR: My mom's comment when I told her was... you know you can go to the car wash and pay 13 and have it done, right. I agree with my mom.

::lurking from TTGP::

Holy cow it costs you that much to wash your car?? The supreme wash where I live is 8! I go the standard route and do the 5 wash. This isn't the cheapo places either; I go to the best one in town! "Location location location" I guess?
  • We take our cars to the car wash... Except for mine because it's parked outside so it would be a waste, I just wait for rain.
    Daisypath Happy Birthday tickersDaisypath Happy Birthday tickersPitaPata Cat tickers

• image Clarinet35:
    image MandJS:
    Do you all wash your cars? Like, by hand? With soap and bucket and hose? DH made us all wash the cars yesterday. Shirya asked why. My response: I have no clue. DH got mad and said it was an activity to do as a family, to get outside, and to have a sense of pride. Umm. I get the first two by doing PLENTY of other things. And I have no sense of pride from having washed the car. Am I defective? Or is this just a man thing? FTR: My mom's comment when I told her was... you know you can go to the car wash and pay 13 and have it done, right. I agree with my mom.
    ::lurking from TTGP:: Holy cow it costs you that much to wash your car?? The supreme wash where I live is 8! I go the standard route and do the 5 wash. This isn't the cheapo places either; I go to the best one in town! "Location location location" I guess?

I think the $13 place also does the inside? I don't really know. I don't fully understand the need to wash a car EVER. It rains. The car will get cleaned off. NBD. It's a CAR. 

imageimage
    AngelSmitty: This reminds me of something my college Human Sexuality professor used to say in class.  "Sex is between the legs.  Gender is between the ears."