Trouble TTC

Lets talk finances...

Assuming this cycle isn't successful, which we're still hoping it will be, I think we'll be moving on to IUI (pending DH's repeat SA). 

We have been extremely lucky thus far, although we have spent a lot of money on copays and deductibles, we have coverage. When we move onto AI, we lose all of it.

I think we can swing one IUI without completely breaking the bank, anticipating a cost of somewhere around $1300 including meds. But if we need multiple IUIs, or even IVF, I'm not sure how on earth we're going to pay for it.

So, seeing as many of you have been OOP from the beginning, how do you do it? We are decidedly middle class, and have a bit of wiggle room in our budget, as I imagine many of us find ourselves. The costs of several IUIs followed by an IVF (or 2) would completely decimate our budget and savings, though.  

So how are you financing your treatments? Credit cards, loans, emptying savings? Using your inheritance? :P Do you have a plan if you get to IVF? 

 My head is still spinning about all of this... 

TTC Since August 2011
Me: Delayed O, slightly low AMH, HSG clear. 
Hypothyroidism since 2000
DH: Borderline Morph, volume

Cycle #1: Clomid + trigger: BFN 
Cycle #2: Clomid + trigger: BFFN 
Cycle #3: Clomid + trigger: BFN 
Cyle #4: Follistim + trigger: BFFN 
Cycle #5: Follistim + trigger: BFN 
Cycle #6: Follistim + trigger + IUI#1: benched for too many follies
Cycle #7: Follis tim + Trigger + IUI#1.1: BFN
Cycle #8 Follistim + Trigger + IUI #2: benched for 30mm cyst
Cycle #9: Follistim + Trigger + IUI #2.1: BFN
IVF#1 w/ICSI December 2013: BFN
IVF#2 late Feb/early March


Re: Lets talk finances...

  • I am lucky that I have coverage for IUI's but we have been saving like crazy the past few months in case we need IVF which we would be completely OOP for.  I made a budget on excel and we have cut waaay back on eating out, unnecessary expenditures and really look at every dollar we spend.  We have been able to save quite a bit this way in anticipation.  And if we don't need IVF we have a cushion for when I am on maternity leave. 

    I hope this helps a little!  It was really shocking to me once I actually put our finances into focus.   You might find if you cut back on a few things you have a lot more available for IF tx. 

    Good luck!


                    image  image image
                      image image

    TTC #1 since November 2011
    Dx: Unexplained Infertility, probable endometriosis
    Feb-April 2013: Femara + TI: BFN
    May - September 2013:  Follistim + Ovidrel + IUI#1-4 = BFN
    IVF # 1 November 2013: transferred 1 perfect blast = BFN
    IVF # 2 April 2014: Endo scrape, transferred 2 blasts = BFP!! (first ever!), CP
    FET #1 June 2014: transferred 2 blasts = BFFN
    New Dx: Repeat Implantation Failure
     IVF # 3 November 2014 = BFP!!  Beta #1 9dp5t 272  Beta # 2 11dp5dt 626
    First US 12/3: 2 gestational sacs!
    *everyone welcome*
  • We are really lucky to have almost no debt, only a small mortgage and DH's car loan (which should be paid off in a few months).  We live really modestly and have been able to afford to pay OOP for our testing/treatment each month without dipping into our savings or putting it on credit.  

    If we move on to IVF, we have enough in savings to pay for one fresh and one frozen cycle, but that would wipe out our safety net.  We would probably refinance our house (we have more than enough equity built up) to pay for IVF, instead of draining our savings.




    TTC #1 since August 2011

    My Blog

    September 2012: Start IF testing

    DH (32): SA is ok, slightly low morph, normal SCSA  Me (32): Slightly low progesterone, hostile CM, carrier for CF, Moderately high NKC, High TNFa, heterozyogous mutated Factor XIII, and +APA

    October 2012-May 2014: 4 failed IUIs, 3 failed IVFs, and 1 failed FETw/donor embryos

    November 2014: IVF w/ICSI #4 Agonist/Antagonist with EPP and Prednisone, Baby Aspirin, Lovenox, and IVIG for immune issues.  Converted to freeze all due to lining issues.  2 blasts frozen on day 6!

    January 2015: FET

    PAIF/SAIF Welcome!

  • We have a savings account for IUIs. We are still at TI so hopefully we can continue to save more if the time comes that we need IUI. We have discussed taking out a loan against H's 401K if we end up need IVF, but that is still something we are deciding. 
     TTC#1 Since April 2011 
    BFP#1 5.23.12 C/P 4w4d 
    BFP #2 10.1.13
    EDD June 10, 2014
  • We luckily had IF coverage until this past January, so we squeezed in a fresh IVF cycle in December after 2 failed IUI's.  I used a medical loan from Springstone to finance the FET that we attempted in March.  We decided that we'd rather pay a bit each month rather than deplete our emergency money.  Our FET was cancelled, so we paid OOP cash for the part of the cycle that we did and have the full FET package balance remaining for our upcoming August attempt.  After that, we may be done or at least on a lengthy break while we figure out how much debt we are really willing to go into to pursue further treatments.  Paying for meds and everything else each cycle has prevented us from saving as regularly as we would like.  Financial infertility is so difficult, too.  Good luck to you as you make these difficult decisions.
    My Blog
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers

    TTC #1 since February 2011
    Me: 29 (3/5/13- high NK cells)  DH: 28 (5/8/12- MFI low morph and motility)
    Cycle #21 (IUI#1), Cycle #22 (HSG 9/21/12) and Cycle #23 (IUI#2)=  image
    Cycle #24- December Snow Bunny IVF #1
    ER 12/6/12 (14R, 11M, 9F), ET 12/9/12 transferred 2 day 3 embies
    Bleeding and low betas=very cautious image C/P 5W3D
    Cycle #26 March Lucky Duck- FET #1
    scheduled 3/20/13- CANCELLED- lining issues
    Cycle #27 May Emerald- FET #1.2
    delayed- Starting Trental for 3 months + natural cycles Cycle #28-30=  image
    Cycle #31 August Shooting Star- FET #1.3 
    transferred 1 hatching blast 8/21/13= imageBetas 8/30 (108) and 9/3 (565)

    U/S 9/19/13- HR is 128!  U/S #2 10/4/13- HR is 174!
    It's a BOY!

  • Ugh. Finances have been rough for us. We had some significant unforeseen circumstances come up that pretty much drained our savings. We are on the upswing now, but are rebuilding our savings, so there is no way in the world we could pay for IVF at anytime in the near future.  

    Luckily, IUI is covered. We pay a $50 copay per office visit, and we pay 50% of the cost of ultrasounds, so each IUI cycle costs around $200. We are on IUI #4 though, and I don't know how many I want to pay for, knowing that success rates are low. I will probably do one more if this doesn't work, and then focus on saving aggressively for IVF. 

    We are also on the waiting list for an IVF clinical study, which would be covered at 100%, minus the meds.  My state also offers IF grants, so we are looking into that. I don't know if this is an option for you, but it might be worth checking to see if there are any grants available in your area, or any clinical studies looking for participants. 

    ** After  2 1/2 years of Unexplained IF, 2 failed medicated cycles, and 4 failed IUI's - our baby girl is coming to us through the miracle of Mini IVF! **

  • We used our HSA account which is why our IUIs have been so spread out. It's 4k a year, so two IUIs a year. For IVF we'd borrow against 401k if needed butI recently got some ccoverage after over three years OPP

    TTC since July 2009. Dx MFI & LPD. 
    IUI#1&2&3 (2011 & 2012) BFN
    IUI#4 1/23/13 on 75iu x9 Follistim = BFP then chem preg m/c (Feb 2013)
    IUI#5 BFN (April 2013)
    IVF w/ICSI Oct. 2, 2012 - 13R, 11M, 7F, 1 frozen blast 4BB grade - - - FET Nov 15, 2013
    BFP! Beta 1:104 @ 10dp6dt, Beta 2:178 @ 12dp6dt,  beta 3:366 @ 14dp6dt
    Saw heartbeat twice before missed M/C at 8w3d on 12/27/13, missing my little angel boy
    JUNE 2014 IVF#2;  5R, 2M, 1F Three day transfer 6/7.  Beta 6/18 - BFN
    Child Free Now?

    My Blog


  • JzylaJzyla
    250 Love Its 100 Comments Second Anniversary First Answer
    Right now, we're paying for treatments and drugs totally out of pocket. The only thing that is covered by healthcare (Canadian) is my ultrasounds, but I understand that puts me in a better place than some, so I'm not complaining. We are using our line of credit occasionally to cover expenses but if IVF becomes our only option, we will have to talk about whether we take out a loan or ask my parents for one. Apparently, my Mom told my sister that she and my dad would pay for IVF without question if we need it. I hope it doesn't come to that, but if it did, DH and I would certainly have to talk about it, because I doubt he'd want to take money from my parents! Right now, I'm taking it day by day. The little bit of money I'm saving is for nursery and baby items (yep, I'm an idealist).
    29 yrs, healthy & TTC since April 2010 
    DH 31yrs & healthy
    *unexplained infertility* 

    Regularly access alternative medicine to supplement a lack of resources in our geographical area.
    • Three rounds of clomid (50mg days 3-7) were useless.
    • IUI#1 w/clomid & HCG in May 2013, BFN.
    • IUI#2 w/clomid & HCG on July 23rd. BFN.
    • IUI #3 in August cancelled last minute, due to lab error.
    • IVF#1 - Started Gonal F stims October 13 2013 for IUI. Over-responded with too many follicles, so converted to IVF. Retrieval October 29th - got 5 eggs, 4 fertilized. Had 2 perfect little embryos transferred on day 3 (Nov. 1). The remaining 2 didn't survive to freeze. Got our BFN on November 13th 2013.
    • IVF#2 - Started stims August 21st. Triggered with Suprefact, started on dostinex due to risk of OHSS. Retrieval September 5th - got 27 eggs! ESet 5day blast on Sept 10. No embryos high enough quality to freeze. BFN came Sept. 22.
    ***Trying to move on TTC naturally for as long as we can 
    before we give up and pursue adoption.***

  • We are covered for the testing by insurance. But once we get to IUI and IVF we will be completely OOP. We are working on saving for those options if, and when we get there. If we have too we will take out a loan on our 401K for IUI but we are years away from affording IVF so I hope we don't get there. We just met with the RE for first time so hopefully we will have other options before going to the more expensive treatments. 
  • jbellejbelle
    Long-Lasting Membership 1000 Comments 250 Love Its Combo Breaker
    image pvf08:

    So how are you financing your treatments? Credit cards, loans, emptying savings? Using your inheritance? :P Do you have a plan if you get to IVF? 

    We're fortunately able to pay OOP for our medicated TI and IUI cycles via savings and income, although we don't have the option to do too many because of my AMA before the RE recommends moving to IVF.

    At this point, we are not planning to move on to IVF, but we also realize planning ahead for how we'll feel is rather impossible. Perhaps we will, but right now, we're leaning toward no, even knowing how unlikely it is that IUI (especially after the first IUI failed) is going to work for us.

    AMA & SAIF. TTC #1 since Oct. 2010. DX: Unexplained. BFP on break after 32 months trying and 2 med cycles. Baby girl born at 40w0d!

    Baby Birthday Ticker Tickerimage


  • Our insurance has covered ultrasounds and visits, but we are OOP for actual procedures and medications. We have been lucky to pay for everything we did for 5 cycles (meds + 2 IUIs) from our HSA and income without touching savings.We are on a break right now from medicated cycles which has helped us save, though I am seeing an acupuncturist.

    We are really hoping it doesn't come down to IVF but it might. If it does, we have some left in our HSA and have been saving up. A few family members have offered to help but H & I are not sure about that just yet. We will see if the time comes.

    The financial aspect certainly doesn't help with the stress of IF, that's for certain. 

  • Our insurance covers some for u/s and blood work but not completely, so I can't complain. For everything else we basically have to save! There are some months where we have enough to go straight into another cycle and other times we are forced to take a month or two off to save for the next round. For IVF, I don't know what we are going to parents have always offered to help and we may buckle down and save for 6 months or so and if we need to put some on a credit card, then that's what we would do!

    It's disgusting that we all have to stress out about how we can afford to have a baby...I hate it.
    Me: 27, DH: 29*** TTC since November 2011 *** Dx with PCOS in September 2012 
    ***September 2012: IUI #1 = BFN*** 
     ***October 2012: IUI #2 = cancelled due to not responding to meds ***
     ***February 2013: IUI #3 - BFN ***
     *** April 2013: Gonal-f, HCG Trigger and TI = BFN*** 
     ***May/June 2013: TAKING A BREAK.***
    ***July 2013: Gonal-f, Trigger and TI = BFN***
    ***August 2013: Gonal-f, Trigger and TI = Cancelled due to over-stimulating***
    ***September/October 2013: Fermara, Gonal-f, Trigger and TI = BFP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Beta #1: 65, Beta #2: 210!!!!!!***

    BabyFruit Ticker
  • pvf08pvf08
    100 Comments Second Anniversary Name Dropper 5 Love Its
    Thank you all for describing your plans, it helps. Here's hoping we win the powerball ASAP. (I'll share if you will... lol)
    TTC Since August 2011
    Me: Delayed O, slightly low AMH, HSG clear. 
    Hypothyroidism since 2000
    DH: Borderline Morph, volume

    Cycle #1: Clomid + trigger: BFN 
    Cycle #2: Clomid + trigger: BFFN 
    Cycle #3: Clomid + trigger: BFN 
    Cyle #4: Follistim + trigger: BFFN 
    Cycle #5: Follistim + trigger: BFN 
    Cycle #6: Follistim + trigger + IUI#1: benched for too many follies
    Cycle #7: Follis tim + Trigger + IUI#1.1: BFN
    Cycle #8 Follistim + Trigger + IUI #2: benched for 30mm cyst
    Cycle #9: Follistim + Trigger + IUI #2.1: BFN
    IVF#1 w/ICSI December 2013: BFN
    IVF#2 late Feb/early March

  • My husband and I are also OOP for everything regarding infertility.  He has an HSA account and we are saving that to pay for our IVF cycle at the end of the month.  He's a CPA so he has a spreadsheet with how much we need to save in order to cover the IVF cycle and his parents have offered us the difference. The only problem is, if the cycle isn't successful (which I am crossing my fingers it is) then we will wait another year and save everything we can.

    I recommend looking for a medical loan, but try to find a company that has lower fees to reduce your overall payback.  If you can, look at taking a home equity loan to cover some of the cost. Also, if you have a car that is almost paid off, you can use that as colladeral and take a low interest 'used' loan against it. We did that last year to get rid of the credit card debt, and we went from paying 28% intereste a month to 1.9% with the car. We will have that paid off next year.  I also know someone who put a full IVF cycle on a credit card and transferred the balance to 0% every 6 months...they ended up paying no interest on 10k and they made sure to pay as much as possible to reduce the amount.

    OOP or insurance covered this is still an added stress...good luck to you!

    TTC 8/1/11 Met with RE: 9/7/12; starting with BW on next CD3 and HSG between CD7-11. Husband has SA 9/21/12; meth with RE 10/11-diagnosed with Male fertility issues 1% chance of getting pregnant naturally, only IVF.  Insurance doesn't cover IVF, took a break from trying until we could save the money.
    June 19-Begin injections for IVF Round 1- only 1 egg dropped, fertilized but did not attach
    August 8-Begin IVF round 2, more aggressive, 10 egges, all 10 fertilized, implanted 1, froze 4
    September 14-got the call that we are expecting!!!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards