Babies: 3 - 6 Months

bedtime = naptime

LO goes to sleep pretty easy between 8:30 to 9:30 but usually treats it as naptime and not nighttime.  She wakes after 20 mins or 30 mins and wants to stay up another hour and 1/2.  Not sure what to do.  I tried just staying in her room with lights off but she is fine nursing off and on and just letting me rock or hold her.  How do I break this habit??????
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker

Re: bedtime = naptime

• My son does this if we are out and miss his bedtime, which is a nightmare so it doesn't happen often.  Maybe her bedtime is too late and she's over tired?  Have you tried starting a routine to help signal bedtime?  We start at 7 and do dinner (he sits at the table with us and we feed him beans or carrots while we eat), a warm bath, lotion and pjs, a story, and a bottle.  By then, he usually falls right asleep by 8 or 8:30.  Hope this helps! I know it's tough.  Hang in there!
  • Have you tried starting her day earlier? DS wakes up at 9 am usually so if I had this issue, I would start making him get up at 8. If your LO is getting up later in the morning, you could probably start moving her awake time by 15 minutes each day to see if it helps until you get that hour or so later in the day adjusted (also, make sure she doesn't make up for it during her naps, otherwise it defeats the purpose). 
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • DD used to do this when we tried to put her down that late. Sometimes I was up until 11 trying to rock her back to sleep. We moved bedtime up to 7pm (sometimes 6:30pm if it's been awhile since her last nap) and most of the time she stays asleep now.