May 2013 Moms

Ungrateful Vent

It's so nice that people are giving us gifts for our baby.

BUT. . .

People ask where we are registered.  We tell them. They look at the registry and determine that those gifts are boring.  So they buy cute outfits instead.

I love cute outfits.  But LOs spit up on themselves all the time.  And we still have a lot of practical items on our registry.  And all the cute outfits in the world don't help us when we have to buy things like diapers, crib sheets, carseats, etc. ourselves.

I know that baby clothes are much more fun to shop for than blah necessities like baby bottles.  But it still makes me crazy.

I am venting here rather than venting to a live person who will tell me that I am terrible to my face.  Instead, internet strangers can tell me I am terrible.

I will also just add that from now on, I will ALWAYS give someone a registry gift or gift card first!

There. I'm done.

J and E born May 1, 2013

Little Lady due May 15, 2015

Re: Ungrateful Vent

• Vent away! Yes they are gifts but if you're in need of practical stuff I can understand the momentary frustration. We have gone every day to buy more stuff like diapers and cream and nipple shields etc that i wish it would just show up at our door sometimes!
    image imageimage

• It's frustrating yes.  But most people want to buy something cute, not practical.  Especially once the baby is here.  It's also annoying when people ask specifically about the registry or you know they know about it and then pick out a different item. Like buying a different swing than you picked out because its cheaper or something.

But at the same time, why don't you have carseats already?  How did you leave the hospital?  Also, the necessities are things you should have planned and budgeted for.

• image Beachy730:

It's frustrating yes.  But most people want to buy something cute, not practical.  Especially once the baby is here.  It's also annoying when people ask specifically about the registry or you know they know about it and then pick out a different item. Like buying a different swing than you picked out because its cheaper or something.

But at the same time, why don't you have carseats already?  How did you leave the hospital?  Also, the necessities are things you should have planned and budgeted for.

You're right-- we did try to plan and budget for them, but it's still so much more expensive then we thought.  We have the infant car seats already, so we did leave the hospital. 

J and E born May 1, 2013

Little Lady due May 15, 2015

• We went from team green to team pink. We didn't get a lot of clothes at my shower for that reason. As cute. As the clothes we're getting now are, I wish someone would have a little size imagination. I have about a billion cute three month outfits, that she'll only fit in for such a short time. I know it's my job to clothe my child and DH is equally guilty of buying cute stuff but its frustrating.

Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • I know it is hard to deal with. I had the same problem and we ended up with so many clothes that we didn't know what to do with. We actually looked at the tags and tried to think of where our friends shop and returned the ones we were not so crazy about and purchased diapers, etc. I know that probably makes us look bad but when you have three draws full of size 0 to 3 months I really don't think we could have kept everything especially since his mother keeps bringing more and more. My DH told his mom to please stop giving us clothes because its going to be us putting it on her taking a picture and putting it in a bin for storage. He tried to tell her what we need but she does what she wants.
    On the other hand, my girlfriend just had her daughter and she is very straight forward so when someone asked her where she was registered she would say to some ppl "we didn't register anywhere because diapers, wet ones things like that are extremely helpful." It was odd because ppl actually got her what she asked for. I could never do anything like that. I find it rude.
  • HZ2012HZ2012
    500 Comments 100 Love Its Second Anniversary Name Dropper
    Agreed! While its nice of people to send anything, no matter what it is, baby's need a ton of supplies so I can appreciate where you're coming from!

• delinodelino
    5000 Comments 100 Love Its Third Anniversary Name Dropper
    I hear ya. We have received lots if clothes. Lots that are not my taste at all and lots that we just don't need. I was diligent about being reasonable and returning what we don't need or want and getting necessities. Before LO was born I went to BrU and did a mass return of unneeded items and got almost everything that remained on my registry except for a couple of larger items like the convertible carseat that we don't need yet. I would suggest returning as much as possible.
    3 ectopic pregnancies (EDD's 1/30/12-tube removed, 6/2/12-methotrexate and 10/2/12-methotrexate)
    IVF and Natural FET resulted in BFN's and a hole in our wallets
    Natural BFP #4 on 9/7/12 gave us our miracle on 5/18/13
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • A gift is a gift and if you don't like it then try to return it. People give what they want go give and aren't trying to be annoying. It's you responsibility to buy what you need for your baby no one else's.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Congrats to my buddies Shazzie and Madeline10L on their little ladies!
  • You can return clothing to most retailers without a receipt for store credit, you should do that and use the credit to purchase those items you still need... just make sure you send thank you cards first before you forget who got you what!
       July 2015 December Siggy Challenge
    photo giphy_zpsmy1nv29z.gif <leader of the pack small photo leaderofthepacksmall_zps19d110a4.jpg photo r0614p_zpsojhlssmw.gif AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

BabyFetus Ticker
  • MrsRKJMrsRKJ
    1000 Comments 100 Love Its Second Anniversary First Answer
    I hear where you are coming from.  I'm getting lots of outfits from friends and family which is great, I'm very appreciative for their generosity.  HOWEVER, they are buying 9 month and 12 month stuff which is HUGE.  My DS was a preemie, and is currently 9 lbs at almost 12 weeks.  He will not fit into that stuff anytime soon.  Most of the stuff we had before he was born (because he was measuring in the 95th percentile!) is 6-9-12 month stuff (most of this was from my SIL and my nephews).  We had no newborn stuff for him to fit in, so I had to go out and buy a ton of newborn stuff so he'd have something to wear.  If the person gave a gift receipt, everything went back in exchange for newborn size (I got the same outfit, just a different size).
    Welcomed our baby boy Henry on March 15, 2013 (7 weeks early!)

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

TTA until 2014

• Agreed. A gift is a gift. Return it if you don't like it. 
    Big Sister
    Baby Boy
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Once we had Abbie and announced that green was pink, we received calls about registry too but ended up getting all pink outfits instead of anything on our registry. Outfits are definitely useful for our little girl, but we didn't register for clothes. And pink is definitely not her color. She's a purple girl like her momma... We just continue to add them to our take back bags. No one will know if she never wore them or not and we can choose bottles or diapers or even clothes that we like...
  • I understand where your coming from on the clothes. I have so much 0 to 3 months its crazy, literally. DD is 3 weeks and not wore the same thing more than 2 times, and some stuff doesn't fit. The stuff I could return I did, and got a huge gift card and bought some of the boring practical things that I still needed. Most stores will let you return things for credit or exchange the size.

• I told my family like mom, grandma, and aunts to get us diapers and wipes and useful stuff. They did everyone else gave us that or gift cards because we lied and said we were team green. Since she's been born my SO mom has bought nothing but 0 to 3 month up to 6 month clothes. She also gets mad when I don't dress her in those outfits everyday. They're huge on my DD I really wish she would just help and get stuff we need but whatever. It is annoying though.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards