Natural Birth

S/O water births

If you labor in the tub, and give birth in the tub, it is incredibly highly likely that you will not tear, correct? I mean, women use warm compresses so they don't tear, so wouldn't a warm tub make it even more likely that you will not tear?

If you have had a water birth, did you tear? If you did, what degree was it? 

BFP: February 12 2012
Joseph Scott born October 8
7lb 12oz 20.5"
TTC #2 Since February 2013

Re: S/O water births

• It's not a garentee that you won't tear . Though the water helps to some degree its not as important as giving your body time to stretch properly and perineal massage . I tore with my first water birth mainly because I pushed passed the contractions . I tore pretty bad 3rd degree. With my second I only tore a little bit and even though I was in the tub with my second since I was on my hands and knees and the tub wasn't filled much that part of me was not in the water at the time so the water had nothing to do with it. I highly reccomend laboring on your hands and knees , sitting on a birthing ball or squaring , making sure your up and walking around . Doing any of that will put more pressure on your cervix and can help stretch you better. However nothing is going to prevent it if its going to happen. Btw most people who do tear don't ever feel it so don't be scared .
  • image headgear03:
    It's not a garentee that you won't tear . Though the water helps to some degree its not as important as giving your body time to stretch properly and perineal massage . I tore with my first water birth mainly because I pushed passed the contractions . I tore pretty bad 3rd degree. With my second I only tore a little bit and even though I was in the tub with my second since I was on my hands and knees and the tub wasn't filled much that part of me was not in the water at the time so the water had nothing to do with it. I highly reccomend laboring on your hands and knees , sitting on a birthing ball or squaring , making sure your up and walking around . Doing any of that will put more pressure on your cervix and can help stretch you better. However nothing is going to prevent it if its going to happen. Btw most people who do tear don't ever feel it so don't be scared .

Sorry, I'm not actually pregnant; I'm researching everything for next time (not pregnant yet, but ttc). I actually had an epidural last time (I was coerced into it...long story), and I tore almost 4th degree. I had a vacuum assist though, and I have heard that a vacuum assist can make you tear more (which makes sense), so I don't know if I would have if I hadn't had the vacuum.  

BFP: February 12 2012
    Joseph Scott born October 8
    7lb 12oz 20.5"
    TTC #2 Since February 2013

• I don't know about "incredibly unlikely" but I have been told a waterbirth does decrease the odds. I had a waterbirth and I did not tear at all.
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • My midwife said that it is harder to control in the water because your midwife can't see what is going on as well.  Also can't use the warm compresses, etc to help you.  So water can be more unpredictable.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Tearing has more to do with how you are pushing rather than if you are sitting is water or not. Push with contractions and don't rush it. You have to let the baby's head stretch you. Perineal massage before birth and warm compresses and olive oil during birth will help. When you are pushing, pant like a dog. It sounds weird but it does really help gently stretch you. Right when you feel like you need to stop the push pant a couple times.

baby development
    image image
    Married May 14, 2011 DD born Nov 10, 2012
    On our way to 2u2, due June 22

June '14 April Siggy Cute Animals!

• image ChristyML:
    image headgear03:
    It's not a garentee that you won't tear . Though the water helps to some degree its not as important as giving your body time to stretch properly and perineal massage . I tore with my first water birth mainly because I pushed passed the contractions . I tore pretty bad 3rd degree. With my second I only tore a little bit and even though I was in the tub with my second since I was on my hands and knees and the tub wasn't filled much that part of me was not in the water at the time so the water had nothing to do with it. I highly reccomend laboring on your hands and knees , sitting on a birthing ball or squaring , making sure your up and walking around . Doing any of that will put more pressure on your cervix and can help stretch you better. However nothing is going to prevent it if its going to happen. Btw most people who do tear don't ever feel it so don't be scared .
    Sorry, I'm not actually pregnant; I'm researching everything for next time not pregnant yet, but ttc. I actually had an epidural last time I was coerced into it...long story, and I tore almost 4th degree. I had a vacuum assist though, and I have heard that a vacuum assist can make you tear more which makes sense, so I don't know if I would have if I hadn't had the vacuum. nbsp;[/quote
    So sorry that happens. Yeah more then likely it was the vacume that did the most damage. When your allowed to tear naturally most of the time not always mind you but most of the time the years are smaller and heal better .
  • I pushed for two hours while squatting in the tub and I just had a first degree midline tear that didn't need any stitches. So there's that anecdote.
  • I labored in the tub, but ended up out on the bed to push the baby out - no tearing though :)

Lilypie Second Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers