July 2013 Moms

BTDT's......nursery darkness

So my sister got blackout shades in her nursery.  I have kept all the window treatments in the house drawn the last few days because of the heat and I noticed....the nursery really doesn't get that dark during the day.

How dark does it need to be for baby? 

I should have known that if I got to June and was ahead of the curve I'd scope creep my way into a new project :P

2u2 Here we come - Pants' Sidekick Due 20 March 2015!

Re: BTDT's......nursery darkness

• Actually babies should nap in natural light, this helps their bodies set their circadian rythym. Google it. ;o helps body tell the difference between day and night and helps develop routine sleep cycles.
  • babykkbabykk
    250 Answers Sixth Anniversary 1000 Comments 500 Love Its
    With DD I hung a darker color pink curtain which helped when she was about 18 months. We just bought a new house and bought black out blinds for all the bedrooms. I figured we will all sleep better with a little less light coming in. I think as babies, the rooms don't have to be as dark. But when they get older the room definitely needs to be darker!
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• We don't have black out shades.  Li's room doesn't get dark during the day and we haven't had a problem.
    Daisypath Happy Birthday tickersDaisypath Happy Birthday tickersPitaPata Cat tickers

• QmommyQmommy
    5 Love Its
    Yea,  it's not necessary to get blackout blinds.  My nursery stays pretty light during the day and neither of my girls had trouble sleeping.  They also never had mixed up day and night schedules as newborns.  Not sure if that has anything to do with the light in the room though.
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickersLilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Actually I was told with my doctor with DD that since baby's sleep all day and eat all night that its beat to keep shades open so the light can try and help them learn the day and night pattern and get used to it for a better sleep schedule.
  • It can depend on the baby.  My daughter sleeps much better when it's darker, day or night.  It also helps on long summer days when it's still sunny at bedtime and sunrise is earlier in the morning than she would normally wake....especially now that she's 3 and likes to argue about the sun being up when we tell her it's bedtime.
    Me: 38, PCOS/ DH: 37

DD born 12.21.09, conceived w/ injects and IUI

TTC#2 since Nov 2011

BFP 2.6.12 m/c 6w5d | BFP 5.25.12 c/p

-Back to the RE-

3 medicated IUIs, all BFN

-Taking a break from treatment-

BFP 11.20.12 ~ EDD 7.28.13

image image

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

My Chart
  • We got blackout shades because my son has a huge west facing picture window and by the time he was about 3 or 4 months, it was summer and it stays so light so late here in Portland that we really needed to. My son was a phenomenally bad sleeper though.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• I'm using blackout curtains because I think that being able to have the room dark for longer during the night will help. The nursery is on the east side of the house and is super bright as soon as the sun starts coming up.
    J13 September Siggy Challenge: Apples                A15 September Siggy Challenge: Mom stereotypes.
                                                                           Baby wipes can clean anything

image           image

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Never used them. Didn't see a need. DS napped and slept fine without them.
     DS1 8/2011. DS2 8/2013.

• KERJFKERJF
    Sixth Anniversary 1000 Comments 25 Love Its

we have never had blackout curtains/shades.

DD1 does just fine now. She has a roller shade + white curtains - so light still gets through and it doesnt affect nap time. Bed is no issue obviously. 

Nursery will be the same - although that room in general gets much less light. 

imageimage
  • image Abeille:
    It can depend on the baby. nbsp;My daughter sleeps much better when it's darker, day or night. nbsp;It also helps on long summer days when it's still sunny at bedtime and sunrise is earlier in the morning than she would normally wake....especially now that she's 3 and likes to argue about the sun being up when we tell her it's bedtime.

This exactly.
  • Strangely the only blackout shades we have are in our livingroom. We have stained glass in there and they were the only ones we found that actually covered it when closed. Who knows. I can't stand my house being dark though so I definitely won't be getting blackout shades for LO's room.
  • I had blackout/thermal shades for my first LO (different house than now), and I loved them, not just for the light, but also for the thermal part.

My mom is making them again for this time around (for both kids).  I think they're nice to have if you can swing it. The days are long in the summer, and I think it does affect my toddler getting to bed and waking up earlier. It's not a must though... we haven't had them in this house (since he was 9 months old until now, 2.5) and his sleep is pretty good.

imageimage Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • image Audrey1787:
    I'm using blackout curtains because I think that being able to have the room dark for longer during the night will help. The nursery is on the east side of the house and is super bright as soon as the sun starts coming up.

This is what we're doing to. I don't plan to use them during te day, but we live on a very busy corner with bedrooms facing east, so not only do they get bright at the crack of dawn, they don't really get dark unless we use shades, even at night. Yay for living in the city...
  • Wow.  Diverse responses - all of which seem really well reasoned!  I think I'll install em and use em with discretion depending on the particular circumstances.

Thanks ladies!

2u2 Here we come - Pants' Sidekick Due 20 March 2015!

• We don't have room darkening stuff in E or H's rooms. I didn't want E getting use to it being pitch black in order for her to sleep. She will and can sleep in regular daylight.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickersLilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • We've always used them in our house because of the thermal control. Our house is pretty old so it helps with keeping the rooms cooler or warmer. Pottery barn makes great ones. I'll be purchasing mine from them for the nursery.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • image Bkuhman:
    Actually I was told with my doctor with DD that since baby's sleep all day and eat all night that its beat to keep shades open so the light can try and help them learn the day and night pattern and get used to it for a better sleep schedule.

This is what I was told as well. Now that DD is older (and really refuses to nap unless absolutely exhausted) I do have the shades drawn and a blackout shade because she is sensitive to light/sound. When she was younger though (and actually slept lol. I swear my kid was a better sleeper as a newborn) we never had to worry about it.  

imageimage
    imageimage

Lilypie Breastfeeding tickersLilypie Trying to Conceive Event tickers
  • I wouldn't say it is necessary for daytime naps but we use it so she doesn't wake at the butt crack of dawn in the morning.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • We didn't get blackout curtains for DD's room until about this time last year when she was 8 months old. Her room has 4 windows and she was waking up with the birds. We got lighter colored curtains, so the room isn't super dark, but I think they help.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Because of where our baby's room is we have two windows in the nursery, some higher windows above those windows, and then a sliding glass door in a room that's connected to the nursery (no door in between).  It's pretty much impossible to darken that room.  Mostly because we can't put any curtains at all over the higher windows because they have some moisture issues and it would just gather mold.  As it is I'm on a ladder cleaning the window sills to prevent mold, I can't imagine trying to keep up curtains!  So, our kid will just have to learn to sleep during the day.

That being said, I would have done that even if we could black out the windows.  My brother and SIL went crazy to create the perfect "sleeping conditions" for their son.  We're talking no noise, black room, etc.  Now he's 3 and he can't sleep at all unless he's in a silent room with no light.  When they travel they have the hardest time because he doesn't sleep.  Their life also revolves around his nap time because he can't just fall asleep anywhere, they have to take him home to his bedroom so he can actually sleep. 

I vowed to get my kid used to sleeping with a ton of noise and light as soon as possible, even if it means a few sleepless nights for me!  For one, it's super bright where we live year round and our neighbors will be doing construction at least the next 5 months and the nursery windows face their house.  There will be a ton of loud, obnoxious noises and there's really not much we can do about it.  The neighbors are being awesome enough to not start construction until 9AM and swear they will stop at 5PM each day.  I can't expect any more from them.

Georgetown, Grand Cayman | February 2012 | Explorer of the Seas

Surprise BFP November 2012  | Bear Born July 2013

Surprise BFP April 2014  | M/C May 2014 | Totally Planned BFP July 2014 | Due Sometime in March 2015

Pregnancy Ticker

I’m a modern man, a man for the millennium. Digital and smoke free. A diversified multi-cultural, post-modern deconstruction that is anatomically and ecologically incorrect. I’ve been up linked and downloaded, I’ve been inputted and outsourced, I know the upside of downsizing, I know the downside of upgrading. I’m a high-tech low-life. A cutting edge, state-of-the-art bi-coastal multi-tasker and I can give you a gigabyte in a nanosecond! I’m new wave, but I’m old school and my inner child is outward bound. I’m a hot-wired, heat seeking, warm-hearted cool customer, voice activated and bio-degradable. I interface with my database, my database is in cyberspace, so I’m interactive, I’m hyperactive and from time to time I’m radioactive.

• I think blackout curtains are a must. Not so much when they're infants but when they start getting older. DS sleeps in till the 8 o clock hour. When it's summer here it starts getting light super early and I didn't want that to disrupt his schedule since DH and I worked full time. Anyway, I recommend them, if not right away, but eventually.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image