Two Under 2

Travel gear for 2 under 2

My husband and I are taking our two boys, 21 months and 3 months, to Florida in July for two weeks. What baby gear can we leave home and what must we have? We have a minivan, but with the carseats and 3 adults going, we are concerned about space. We use so many baby things every day that every item seems necessary. Also, my youngest will be turning 5 months during the trip. Will that be too soon for him to be upright in a stroller? We have a double stroller, but our other option is to bring the Chicco stroller for the Keyfit carseat and an umbrella stroller.

Re: Travel gear for 2 under 2

• QmommyQmommy
    5 Love Its

1) travel crib for one or both. Or RnP for baby

2)  baby carrier

3) toys (playmat for baby or floor blanket with mirror, balls, other small toys, and books)

4) double stroller should be fine 

Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickersLilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • We just got back from the beach with our 19 and 2 month old.

I brought the whale bath tub and I'm really glad I did. It's bulky and not fun packing, but it's part of our bed routine and I hate dealing with sponge baths.

Bouncy seat. It sucks not having somewhere to put LO down for a few minutes.

Lots and lots of toys for DS1.

At 5 months I would think that's plenty big enough for a stroller. I brought my sling but he's still pretty little and likes napping on the to in it.

• Obviously some place to sleep for both. When we traveled with our girls at 20 months and 7 weeks we had DD1 in the pack and play and DD2 in the rock and play. Make sure you have all the stuff you need for their regular bedtime routine.

A few toys for each, and a blanket you can toss on the floor for the baby. I

Double stroller should be fine. I think around 5 months is when we started putting the girls in the actual stroller seat instead of car seat. 

I'd also consider a small travel booster seat for your oldest. I know some toddlers are fine in an adult size chair to eat, but I find it's a lot less mess and stress if we have a booster.

Mama to two sweet girls
    DD1 Feb 2010
    DD2 Sept 2011

Pregnancy Ticker
  • You don't say whether you are going to a resort or just staying in a house etc, if  it is a resort, call and ask as many places have some equipment available for you to use.

If not, I would agree with pp's about what you need, when it comes to baths, you can get blow up ones from Walmart for about $10 which save on tons of space, I used ours with DS at about 6 months with no issue, and we were able to take it with us on holiday when he was 9 months easily.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Diagnosed with Anti little c antibodies. DS1 had severe Anaemia and Jaundice. 10 days in the NICU, 1 exchange transfusion and 4 blood transfusions. DS2 had severe Anaemia 7 days in the NICU and 1 exchange transfusion. Both are now happy and healthy. Antibody Sensitisation Information 

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

• We went to the beach last summer when DD was 2 and DS was 5.5 months. We took:

Aerobed for DD to sleep on (she was in a twin bed already at home)

Rock-n-play for DS to sleep in

Bouncy chair (really nice to have somewhere to put the baby down)

Rented a double jogger stroller (is renting some gear an option for you??)  We have a van too and just couldnt fit our huge double stroller along with everything else b/c we took a ton of beach gear with us.  Most vacation destinations have rental agencies with cribs and strollers and all sorts of stuff available.

Umbrella stroller so we'd have a backup in case we split up the 2 kids, DS was able to sit up well enough in it at that age

2 Booster seats for eating in

Rented an exersaucer, this was definitely nice to have, but we could have done without it

Ergo carrier, I don't think we used it though, it was too hot outside to wear a baby

Inflatable duck tub, this was nice b/c our bathroom only had a shower.

Toys, books, beach toys, beach cabanna, etc.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • LC122LC122
    1000 Comments 500 Love Its Name Dropper First Anniversary
    image NNGnome:

You don't say whether you are going to a resort or just staying in a house etc, if  it is a resort, call and ask as many places have some equipment available for you to use.

If not, I would agree with pp's about what you need, when it comes to baths, you can get blow up ones from Walmart for about $10 which save on tons of space, I used ours with DS at about 6 months with no issue, and we were able to take it with us on holiday when he was 9 months easily.

Just a warning about renting stuff. Some friends of mine rented a very nice/expensive cottage for a beach week and were told it had a pack and play. It did, but it smelled of smoke so horribly that they couldn't use it. 

I can't imagine under what circumstances a pack and play would/should/could ever smell like smoke, but it did and it was awful. I mostly know this story because I was going to the beach a few days later and they asked me to stop by their house and get their pack and play to bring to them.