Baby Names

Baby Girl Lillian- NN Lily or Lilly?

Hello Ladies! We are due in late August and planning on naming our little girl Lillian Grace. I wanted to see what people thought in regards to her nickname-if the spelling should be Lily or Lilly? I have been looking all over the web and there are different opinions regarding this. Her formal name will be Lillian but we would like to have NN for her. I really appreciate any help with this. :) 

Re: Baby Girl Lillian- NN Lily or Lilly?

• TiffJ21TiffJ21
    1000 Comments Second Anniversary 5 Love Its
    Love the name Lillian, I like the Lily spelling best for the nn. 
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I like Lily.
     Lilypie - (F3i3)

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Joy2611Joy2611
    10000 Comments 250 Answers 500 Love Its Fifth Anniversary
    It can be whichever you choose! Don't overthink it. Lots of nicknames have additional letters (Kimmie, Maddy) or a different word all together (Betty, Maggie) than the root name. Which do you like better?
    ~ fifteen cycles ~ march 2014: chemical pregnancy ~
    ~ november 2014: diagnosed with Hashimoto's disease, began levothyroxine synthroid (it matters) ~
     image   image    image

"Our greatest weakness lies in giving up.  The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time." - Thomas Edison

• Our friends just had a baby three weeks ago named Lillian, but she goes by the name/spelling Lily. 
  • image Joy2611:
    It can be whichever you choose! Don't overthink it. Lots of nicknames have additional letters (Kimmie, Maddy) or a different word all together (Betty, Maggie) than the root name. Which do you like better?

Agreed.

• Adopted DS #1- '05 
    • Adopted DS #2- '07
    • DS born August 1, 2011
    • DD born August 27, 2013

• I prefer just Lily (not Lillian), but I guess that I would choose Lilly as nickname for Lillian.

I have a new niece and her name is Lily Grace. Very pretty name. :)

Mr. & Mrs. - Est. 10.03.2009

TTC #1 since 06.2011 Me-24 DH-24

12.2011 SA = Normal

06.2012 First visit with OB/GYN

10.2012 Clomid 50mg + TI = BFN

11.2012 Clomid 50mg + TI = BFN

12.2012 Clomid 100mg + TI = BFN

01.2013 First visit with RE

02.2013 Clomid 150mg + TI = BFN

03.2013 Femara 5mg + TI = BFN

05.2013 Femara 5mg + TI = BFN

06.2013 Femara 7.5mg + TI = BFN

*Taking a break*  

• Lillian is one of the top names I'm considering and I love it! Lily or Lilly...it doesn't matter!
    Liliana Seraphina born 9/5/2103

• zitronezitrone
    100 Comments Second Anniversary 25 Love Its
    Is Lillie an option? That's my favourite. Otherwise I would choose Lilly because there are two 'L's in Lillian. :P Don't know why, but missing the one 'L' bothers me.
    "Les grandes personnes ne comprennent jamais rien toutes seules, et c'est fatigant, pour les enfants, de toujours et toujours leur donner des explications."
    ~ Le Petit Prince, Antoine de Saint Exupéry

Love 11.11.09 | Marriage 05.02.15
    Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • We have a Lillian Grace. She goes by Lillian or Lil. On the rare occasion that she is Lilly I do the double L because I always thought that Lilly was the nickname for Lillian and Lily was just the name/flower. Don't know where I learned that though...
  • I would say since Lillian has 2 L's Lilly should too? I don't think it matters too much tho, your personal preference :)
    image image BabyFruit Ticker First Jelly Bean EDD Jan 26 2014 - 1 day before MY birthday!
  • My name is Lillian and I go by Lily, not Lilly.
  • image ChicagoLaura:
    We have a Lillian Grace. She goes by Lillian or Lil. On the rare occasion that she is Lilly I do the double L because I always thought that Lilly was the nickname for Lillian and Lily was just the name/flower. Don't know where I learned that though...

Yes.  For the same reason I like the double Ls, too.  I think the single L is more popular, but I like the double Ls MUCH better.   

DD #1 Eva- born April 10, 2011

DD #2 Violet- born October 4, 2013
  • Wow, This has to be the most popular name of the year.

I would say Lilly. 2 L's looks better.

• My DD's name is Lillian and I love it.  Such a beautiful name.  We went with Lilly for about 1 day in the hospital... then changed nn to Lily as it felt right.  I'm glad we did.  You will never find anything with a name on it that is spelled "Lilly" always "Lily".  

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker 

BFP #1 ~ 1/26/2010 ~ MMC @ 6w6d discovered @ 11w3d ~ D&C 3/16/10
    BFP #2 ~ 4/22/2010 ~ EDD 12/29/2010 ~ Born 12/19/2010 ~ My Rainbow Baby
    BFP #3 ~ 6/10/2012 ~ EDD 2/20/2013 ~ HB 100bpm @ 9w3d ~ M/C 7/11/2012
    BFP #4 ~ 3/16/2013 ~ EDD 11/20/2013 ~ Born 11/17/2013 ~ Rainbow Baby #2
  • My DD is Lily Grace. I didn't do Lillian because it's my grandma's name, and I preferred just Lily.
    Dating: Jul.2003 | Married: Jul.2006
    BFP: Dec.2007 | DD: Aug.2008
    TTC #2: Dec.2011 | Done?: Aug.2013
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards