November 2013 Moms

Eczema/psoriasis

Ever since I was little I had eczema. At some point I also got diagnosed with psoriasis. I've tried everything, I mean everything! The only thing that has worked consistently is clobetasol propionate strong topical steroid. I used it almost daily before finding out I was pregnant found out at 7weeks. I've tried completely stopping but my skin flared up soooo much. I've been using it sparingly a few times a week. My OB pretty much said I can use a very small amt without giving me exact amts. I'm wondering if anyone else has a similar condition or know anyone using clobetasol or used while pregnant. I'm so scared I'm hurting my baby :

Re: Eczema/psoriasis

• I don't have eczema but right before I got pregnant I had a crazy contact dermatitis flare requiring both systemic and topical steroids. It still flares and I try to use topicals once every couple days and only to the absolute worst spots. And lots of Benadryl.
    -Jenn Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I have eczema and have been too scared to use anything. I've been using olive oil right when I get out of the shower, plus aveeno eczema lotion, and my dry patches are pretty minimal.
  • I have psoriasis and about the only thing that helps me is A&D ointment.  I think it's probably safe in pregnancy, but you should ask your ob to be sure.  
  • cagoldicagoldi
    250 Answers 500 Love Its 1000 Comments Second Anniversary

Neither eczema or psoriasis but I have a skin condition called Keratosis Pilaris.  I haven't been to a dermatologist because it only affects the back of my arms and it is not that bad, but sometimes gets extremely itchy. I found a lotion that really helps called Amlactin. It is reasonably priced, I think $17 for a rather large bottle. It has improved a lot since using this.

I would think it could help with your eczema but as far as the psoriasis, I wonder if the Alpha Hydroxy Acids would hurt if you had an open lesion area? My guess is it would sting. I have a friend that has psoriasis and she swears that taking capsules of shark cartilage has really helped; I think she said they have a topical delivery of it also. But, I can see how people would have ethical issues with this poduct and I very much doubt it is something you can use while pregnant.

Sorry you're dealing with those. Hope you find a good, safe alternative soon.

N13 April Siggy Challenge - Teen Celebrity Crush

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• ktedmonktedmon
    100 Comments 5 Love Its
    I have psoriasis on my elbows, knees and scalp. I don't really need anything for my elbows or knees as it is ok for now, but for my scalp, I have tried everything on the market including dousing my hair/scalp in olive oil for weeks and it still didn't help. I happen to stumble on dremarest. It is sold as a shampoo and another form, but the shampoo helps a lot and once in awhile, I have t use scalpacin to calm the itching. I've been dealing with it for years. I went to a dermatologist and my regular doctor and they all said I would grow out of it. I am 35, been dealing with it for at least 15 years and I don't think it's ever going away. I didn't think to ask my OB about the dermarest for my scalp, but I think it should be ok. Give it a try. Good luck. I know how frustrating it can be.
  • I had eczema as a child on the palms of my hands, well a few weeks ago, it came back.  It itches like crazy in the mornings and at night.  I put some witch hazel on it this morning, just to try and it seemed to really calm the itching down a ton!  might be worth a shot to try!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I cannot get my ticker to work to save my life

I'm due Nov 22nd

• LolaskyLolasky
    100 Love Its 100 Comments Name Dropper
    Thanks for all the suggestions ladies. I've tried most of the products you've mentioned. Unfortunately the only thing that has worked for me is this topical steroid. I really hope it's not hurting my baby. I will continue to use it minimally throughout.
  • image ktedmon:
    I have psoriasis on my elbows, knees and scalp. I don't really need anything for my elbows or knees as it is ok for now, but for my scalp, I have tried everything on the market including dousing my hair/scalp in olive oil for weeks and it still didn't help. I happen to stumble on dremarest. It is sold as a shampoo and another form, but the shampoo helps a lot and once in awhile, I have t use scalpacin to calm the itching. I've been dealing with it for years. I went to a dermatologist and my regular doctor and they all said I would grow out of it. I am 35, been dealing with it for at least 15 years and I don't think it's ever going away. I didn't think to ask my OB about the dermarest for my scalp, but I think it should be ok. Give it a try. Good luck. I know how frustrating it can be.

I'm amazed that your doctors say you'll outgrow it. Psoriasis is a genetic condition. I have it and it gets worse with stress and dry air like when we run the heater during the winter time.

I also find that nothing helps except prescriptions of steroid oils and/or Humira. Humira is so unsafe for baby though, that they actually recommend being off it for 3 months before even trying to get pregnant.

I would say that you should definitely see a dermatologist after you deliver about it. There are options for treatment. But as my derm told me, none of them is perfect, and it will come back. :
  • image Lolasky:
    Thanks for all the suggestions ladies. I've tried most of the products you've mentioned. Unfortunately the only thing that has worked for me is this topical steroid. I really hope it's not hurting my baby. I will continue to use it minimally throughout.

I feel like I am an expert on this.  I have lived with eczema since I was about 5, and poor DS has it WAY worse than me.  His triggers are food related (and a severe allergy to dogs).  Try keeping a food journal and see if you can pinpoint something that makes it flare.  His are corn products and citric acid.  I recommend taking a probiotic every day, and even after the baby is born (esp if you plan on BF).  It can drastically reduce the chance of your LO having eczema.  I found "Dr. Teal's Milk and Honey Bath" at WalMart.  It's about $5.  Soaking in a bubble bath of that stuff has made a world of difference in DS's skin.  I HIGHLY advise against ANY lotions.  They ALL have alcohol in it, which will dry out your skin even more.  Just get a tub of vaseline.

IAmPregnant Ticker
  • I have psoriasis everywhere (not a lot, but spread out over my body) and I use clobatasol too. I actually called my dermatologist to talk about it and she said mine is only on about 1% of my body and it takes using something on 20% of your body for it to enter your blood stream, so I am okay. Of course I checked with my OB and she said it was okay to use. Luckily it's summertime and the sun helps my skin, so in a few weeks I will not have anything left to medicate, but if you haven't yet, call your dermatologist and your OB. I also tried aloe for a while and that helped it, too, if you can't use the clobatasol.
  • I was just at my Dermotologist yesterday as I have many skin problems. Try soaking in WHOLE MILK. I know it sound funny but I now use it as a face soak and in 2 days the burning and redness has gone away. I put a handful of ice cubes in a bowl, a cup or 2 of whole milk then soak a soft washcloth in the milk until saturated the lay the cloth across the area. Repeat for 5 to 10 min then rinse. All natural, no chemicals!!!
  • image mrussin84:
    I was just at my Dermotologist yesterday as I have many skin problems. Try soaking in WHOLE MILK. I know it sound funny but I now use it as a face soak and in 2 days the burning and redness has gone away. I put a handful of ice cubes in a bowl, a cup or 2 of whole milk then soak a soft washcloth in the milk until saturated the lay the cloth across the area. Repeat for 5 to 10 min then rinse. All natural, no chemicals!!!

5 to 10 min...