Stay at Home Moms

So...let's talk well known true crime cases...

I'm watching a DVRd episode of 48 Hours. I've always been a true crime fan. That makes me sound a little sick, but whatever.

It's about Rev Matt Baker (from Waco). He killed his wife, made it look like a suicide. Anyway. It made me wonder...what famous cases happened in your city? In Cincinnati (original hometown) we had Della Sutorious, Ryan Widmer, Carrie Culberson (although that was way outside the city). Not necessarily famous to you guys...but a big deal there.

What about where you live? 

Mom to Big Sister (2008) , and boy/girl twins (2010) Life is busy!

Re: So...let's talk well known true crime cases...

• KateMWKateMW
    25000 Comments 250 Answers Sixth Anniversary 500 Love Its
    Natalie Holloway is from the exact suburb I live in. In fact, I think she grew up around the corner from us. 

Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • Dahmer and Ed gein he killed people and made furniture drone their skin.
  • Wow to both.

There is a poster on parenting who I'm dying to PM. She posted once about her child going to school with the child of a dad on trial for killing his wife. She made it sound like it was a well known case, and I have been so curious. He was found not guilty, but she (the poster) said many felt he was guilty. Intrigued. 

• image KateMW:
    Natalie Holloway is from the exact suburb I live in. In fact, I think she grew up around the corner from us.nbsp;

This story kills me. I really wish they knew what happened to that poor girl. That guy was so guilty.
    CJ :-)
  • image Tigger & pooh:
    Dahmer and Ed gein he killed people and made furniture drone their skin.

I heard that there is now a Dahmer tour up there???? 

• CnAmomCnAmom
    10000 Comments 250 Answers 500 Love Its Third Anniversary
    Not here, but the first one I thought of for Sacramento was Dorothea Puente.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers, Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • I love true crime stories!  I think New Jersey's most famous is the Lindbergh baby kidnapping...
  • I went to school with a girl who's Dad tried to have his Mom run over! He paid a thug to run her over but she survived. Ugh, so crazy!

There's others from my small town. The place could be a soap opera.
  • Nothing in my immediate area but Martha Moxley murder was in ct. As well as Cheshire home invasion and obv newtown.
  • image cjcouple:
    Nothing in my immediate area but Martha Moxley murder was in ct. As well as Cheshire home invasion and obv newtown.

This, did you see the drowning in E. Hartford yesterday?  OMG, horribly sad : (

Our miracle IVF baby - D 6/09 & J - Surprise! born 9/10!!!
  • image mel72:

image cjcouple:
    Nothing in my immediate area but Martha Moxley murder was in ct. As well as Cheshire home invasion and obv newtown.

This, did you see the drowning in E. Hartford yesterday?  OMG, horribly sad : (

No. Where was it?
  • I just googled. That us terribly sad.
  • The Craigslist Killer's fiance is from my hometown and only a few years younger than me. When that story broke she went to her parents house to regroup and deal with the whole thing and there were news vans hanging out outside their house for at least a week assaulting the family any time an outside door opened. I felt so bad for them.

I'm pretty sure it's the only time my hometown has been in the news. 

image image Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • KateMWKateMW

image cjcouple:
    image KateMW:
    Natalie Holloway is from the exact suburb I live in. In fact, I think she grew up around the corner from us.nbsp;
    This story kills me. I really wish they knew what happened to that poor girl. That guy was so guilty.

He was so guilty, but that whole trip pisses me off...the chaperones really fell down on the job. 

• We had a police officer here in Denton who killed his wife and set it up to look like a suicide. It was actually ruled a suicide or undetermined death... The original ruling has been disputed by the me office and defense attorneys...for years but they ended up reexaming the case and changing it to homocide. They tried him for murder and he was convicted years after the incident. It was a strange case in that the victims mother lived at the residence and continued to live there with the son in law even after the "suicide." There was either a dateline or 48 hours episode about it. My husband works with the convicted man's brother. Bobby Lazano is the man, I think.

Darlie routier is a most famous one from my general area.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Nothing nationally famous around here.  The closest we come is a 1971 disappearance of two teenage girls that I think made Unsolved Mysteries back in the day.  We are most widely know for being the hometown of Chelsea from 16 and pregnant/Teen Mom 2... not a great claim to fame.
    imageimage
  • The mother of a guy I went to high school with paid a guy off to murder her husband. That was all pretty sad. 

Where I live now, there have been a couple college students go missing/get murdered. One of them was another journalism student in the class below mine. They never found her killer, and the news still talks about it all the time. 

"And though she be but little, she is fierce."
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    PitaPata Dog tickers
  • John List (murdered his wife, 3 kids, and his mother and an entire month passed before anyone realized) was in the town next to the one I grew up in.  It was in '71, so before my time, but I've heard a lot about it from my mom and have read a lot about it online.  He was caught after 18 years, after being on America's Most Wanted.

ETA:  Not famous, but when I was in college, a friend of mine was murdered.  He wasn't a close friend, but I worked with him on a big project, and he was one of my roommate's best friends.  His father murdered him and his 14 year old brother in their beds, and then killed himself.

• khill86khill86
    1000 Comments Fourth Anniversary 25 Love Its Name Dropper
    Paul Bernardo/Karla Hamolka lived and killed 2 high school girls about 3 blocks from where I grew up.

Just this month, about 45 minutes from here, a guy was killed after taking 2 men for a test drive in his truck. He had it listed on the internet. Tim Bosma was the man that went missing. They are reinvestigating the main suspect's father's apparent suicide and his missing ex girlfriend.

ETA: clarity
  • amy1007amy1007
    500 Comments Third Anniversary 25 Love Its
    John Wayne Gacy Few towns over
    Drew Peterson next town over. I could've been on the jury!!
    Lane Bryant killings. Never been solved. Few towns over.

Lots more i can't think of. In Chicago burbs.

• I grew up in San Diego. My neighbor murdered Amanda Gaeke. He was convicted.
    two kids
    they rule.
  • ajc0121ajc0121
    1000 Comments Third Anniversary 5 Love Its

Back in 2006 there was a quad murder of two high school boys and two other people in my town. That was pretty big news. They were literally in the wrong place at the wrong time. 

A couple months ago a man murdered his wife execution style in their home. That was in my parents neighborhood.

I know that the first one was national news, not sure of the second. 

• image khill86:
    Paul Bernardo/Karla Hamolka lived and killed 2 high school girls about 3 blocks from where I grew up. Just this month, about 45 minutes from here, a guy was killed after taking 2 men for a test drive in his truck. He had it listed on the internet. Tim Bosma was the man that went missing. They are reinvestigating his father's apparent suicide and his missing ex girlfriend.

OMG! Paul Bernardo and Karla! That was a tough case to read about. I read some of the book, but it was disturbing. 

• khill, looks like you live near me.

When I was in university, I had a roommate whose little sister had been kidnapped and killed. I felt so bad for him.

• image amy1007:
    John Wayne Gacy Few towns over Drew Peterson next town over. I could've been on the jury!! Lane Bryant killings. Never been solved. Few towns over. Lots more i can't think of. In Chicago burbs.

I can't believe the Lane Bryant killings have never been solved. So sad. 

• Nothing interesting has ever happened here.

A few months ago, a lady didn't pay her drug dealer, and he murdered her and gouged her eyes out. It was the talk of the town for a while.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • KateMWKateMW
    image I Heart The 80s:

image amy1007:
    John Wayne Gacy Few towns over Drew Peterson next town over. I could've been on the jury!! Lane Bryant killings. Never been solved. Few towns over. Lots more i can't think of. In Chicago burbs.

As in people were targeting fat people at Lane Bryant? Did anybody talk to KC about this? 

• image KateMW:
    image I Heart The 80s:

image amy1007:

As in people were targeting fat people at Lane Bryant? Did anybody talk to KC about this? 

/dead 

two kids
    they rule.
  • khill86khill86
    1000 Comments Fourth Anniversary 25 Love Its Name Dropper
    image MomIn2013:
    khill, looks like you live near me.When I was in university, I had a roommate whose little sister had been kidnapped and killed. I felt so bad for him.

Cool! There's another mom here that lives close to me. I don't want to say her name in case she doesn't want it all out there. But that's neat!
  • CnAmomCnAmom
    10000 Comments 250 Answers 500 Love Its Third Anniversary
    When we lived in Nevada there was a HUGE story about a college student from out of town who disappeared while staying with a friend. They found her body in a field several months later.

There was a story from my hometown about a guy who murdered his wife and then fled the country. I'm pretty sure both of those made national news.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers, Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers