January 2013 Moms

am I crazy?

I could've sworn that I have read multiple places, including TB and my doc's advice that if you have 1 beer/drink while bf there is NO reason to pump and dump or wait 3 hours to feed.

Am I wrong? I have had 1 beer before here and there and not changed a thing. Hopefully this isn't flame worthy.

Am I the only one? I'm going to a baseball game tomorrow and a fellow bf mama is lecturing me on how I HAVE to pump and dump afterwards. I have not decided if I will have a beer for sure yet but didn't think it was THAT big of a deal!!

Re: am I crazy?

• ecu0505ecu0505
    250 Answers 100 Comments Third Anniversary 5 Love Its
    I would defiantly not pump and dump over one beer! You body will metabolize that fast so it will probably not get to your milk. Just my opinion.

• I live by the rule if I can drive I can nurse. I've had 2 beers and still BFd
  • No reason to pump and dump. I dark beer will help production. I think the rule is to wait about 2 hours per drink before nursing.
  • image shoff_1999:
    No reason to pump and dump. I dark beer will help production. I think the rule is to wait about 2 hours per drink before nursing.

This is what I follow. I heard pumping and dumping is a waste. But if you have one beer wait two hours to nurse.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers

imageimage
  • No need to dump! I have had a glass of wine right after BFing and was fine. As long as your next feeding is 2-3 hours away. Even if it is not that far away, the amount of alcohol from beer or wine that gets in your milk is nothing.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • image this decaf life:
    I live by the rule if I can drive I can nurse. I've had 2 beers and still BFd

This.  

• image martha919:

image this decaf life:
    I live by the rule if I can drive I can nurse. I've had 2 beers and still BFd

This.  

me too. I'll have a beer or two and BF right after. Sometimes I even use the excuse that I'm "helping my supply" (my supply is fine) 

Daisypath - (gXry)
  • My doc told me not to dump unless I'm drunk. So enjoy that cold one mama!
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • It's really not something to worry about.  Think of it this way - most OBGYNs say it's ok to have a drink once and a while when pregnant and that's going directly from your blood into baby's bloodstream. 

Drinking 1-2 regular beers and then breastfeeding is approx. the same amount of alcohol to baby as drinking a non-alcoholic beer while pregnant (<0.05% alcohol).

If you're still concerned about that small an amount, just wait 1-2 hours.  Alcohol metabolizes out of breast milk same as it does out of your blood. 

image  image  image

• Glad you asked this.  I've been drinking a bit of Guiness at night after work for my supply and for relaxation. I pick up DD from daycare, get my comfy clothes on, and have a beer while she nurses.  I've never worried about it beyond that (never pumped)...but it's been nagging at the back of my head that maybe I'm not being mother of the year.  Glad to hear that others think this is not harmful, after all!
  • Thanks ladies! I hate it how 1 person can make you doubt your best judgment.

She kinda p!ssed me off, saying things like well it's up to you....but I wouldn't do it...

I should know better than to listen to her, she's afraid to have a Pepsi!
  • I have a beer or glass of wine or two probably 5 nights a week, never pump and dump and never wait to nurse. I think many people make way too big of an issue out of this.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic 

Pregnancy Ticker
  • My midwife told me to drink a hoppy beer to bring in my milk. European moms drink darks like Guinness daily. You're good. Tell her your boobs are your business.

My little miracle.

Zona's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • image zonagirlie:
    My midwife told me to drink a hoppy beer to bring in my milk. European moms drink darks like Guinness daily. You're good. Tell her your boobs are your business.

Omg!!! Hahaha!!! Sorry, I'm just diggin' the "your boobs are your business" line!!! I HAVE to use this! I'm already getting the "so...how long are you planning on breastfeeding?" Now I have an awesome response!
  • Is it bad that reading these responses makes me really want a cold beer? 

Your not wrong in thinking it's ok to have a beer while BFing. I don't worry about having one beer and nursing right after. I do wait a couple hours after for wine, but like PP said beer is supposed to help your supply. If that other mom wants to pump and dump after one beer, what a waste of milk. I say you have a beer if you want to! 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

BabyFruit Ticker
  • amnat84amnat84
    250 Answers 1000 Comments Fifth Anniversary 250 Love Its

image zonagirlie:
    My midwife told me to drink a hoppy beer to bring in my milk. European moms drink darks like Guinness daily. You're good. Tell her your boobs are your business.

This!  Americans obsess too much about this.  I drink a glass of wine almost daily.  The only time I dumped was one night I felt drunk.   

• I've read that if you are able to drive then you are probably ok to breast feed. I have definitely had a glass of wine here and there and have never "pumped and dumped". 
  • I'm enjoying a glass of wine right now!

I wait 2-4 hours if I drink enough to be buzzed (ie a shot or two of hard liquor). I have a glass of water and wait to feel sober again and we're good. If it's just one beer or one glass of wine you don't need to wait because you're not drinking enough alcohol to get much in your milk. I still wait a bit... 30mins to an hour, but you don't NEED to.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    image       image
  • ObLaDiObLaDi
    2500 Comments Sixth Anniversary 100 Love Its First Answer
    I nurse my son after a few drinks guilt free. I think these stringent rules about alcohol and BF are absolute insanity and not based in any logic or science.
  • A drink here or there is fine. The advice I was told was that if you can drive you can bf. I have a two drink max with bfing personally though.
    image Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• There is no need to pump and dump milk after drinking alcohol, other than for your comfort.  Like the PP said, alcohol metabolizes from breastmilk like it does your blood. Pumping & dumping does not speed the elimination of alcohol from the milk.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards