October 2013 Moms

Getting a second opinion on A/S

Had first anatomy scan on 5/25 and was feeling good about baby until doc appointment yesterday. Doc said that baby has what appear to be cysts on baby's brain and enlarged kidneys. He said that the cysts might just be developing tissue and asked if I would agree to a second opinion with a high-risk doctor who also is a pediatrician. We agreed so we have another anatomy scan next Tuesday along with genetic counseling.

 He kept telling me not to worry about it and that sometimes it's nothing and goes away on it's own. Of course, I'm a worrywart and keep thinking about it.

 Anyone else have an experience like this?

T&P are much appreciated. 

Rachel (23) and Ben (25)
Anniversary
Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
Check out my blog.
Follow Me on Pinterest
BFP #3: 2/14/13 EDD:10/16/2013 (Please stick little one)

Re: Getting a second opinion on A/S

  • Also, we are refusing to do genetic testing because we are not terminating, ever!
    Rachel (23) and Ben (25)
    Anniversary
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
    Check out my blog.
    Follow Me on Pinterest
    BFP #3: 2/14/13 EDD:10/16/2013 (Please stick little one)
  • i am sorry T&Ps
        
    imageimageimageimage
                                    July Siggy Challenge - Babies are not dogs
                        
                        photo 5db4fbba-a339-45f0-a043-514ced06f072_zps089c5e8c.jpg

  • I'm sorry u have to go through this. FYI genetic testing doesn't mean u have to terminate. People like to be informed ahead of time to prepare for children with special needs.
                                                    July Siggy Challenge: Babies aren't dogs
                                                        image
                                                     imageimage
                                        Lilypie - (JNST)image
                                         Lilypie - (i6OZ)
  • image hollandpandas:
    Also, we are refusing to do genetic testing because we are not terminating, ever!

    Even if you're not going to terminate, knowing what complications baby may have can help prepare you and the Dr's for the road ahead, and the best treatment strategy.  Just something to think about.

    I hope that everything is fine, however, and baby is growing and developing just as it should be.

    BFP 11/2/10! First Dr's appt 11/30/10, shows Blighted Ovum measuring~ 5.9w @ 7w5d Natural Miscarraige 12/10/10 TTA unitl Feb, waiting BARE minimum before hopping back in the saddle So ready to try again, but I will never forget my first baby. BFP#2 02/06/11!!!! *stick baby, stick!* Team Green turn Team PINK 10/09/11 BFP #3 02/23/13...SURPRISE! Lilypie Pregnancy tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • hendy02hendy02
    Sixth Anniversary 500 Comments 25 Love Its Name Dropper
    member
    image bkeane619:
    I'm sorry u have to go through this. FYI genetic testing doesn't mean u have to terminate. People like to be informed ahead of time to prepare for children with special needs.


    This. There is nothing wrong with being prepared.

    image Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

    BabyFruit Ticker

  • image bkeane619:
    I'm sorry u have to go through this. FYI genetic testing doesn't mean u have to terminate. People like to be informed ahead of time to prepare for children with special needs.

    I didn't mean to suggest that everyone who gets testing terminates. I've had bad experiences with doctor's saying that I still have time to make that decision and it irks me.


    Rachel (23) and Ben (25)
    Anniversary
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
    Check out my blog.
    Follow Me on Pinterest
    BFP #3: 2/14/13 EDD:10/16/2013 (Please stick little one)
  • I have had genetic testing done (maternit21) and all was negative.  NT scan was perfect.  All blood work looks great.  Everything is on par and measuring right on track, but at my AS was told my daughter does not have a nasal bone.  Was then told the options to terminate and the abortion laws.  Made me so angry.  And the dr did not even have my Maternit21 results and once he received them in mid-appointment, he dropped the nasal bone issue and pointed out what he thought might be a nasal bone.  He pushed the possibility of down syndrome so much without having all of my tests.  He pushed for an amnio.  Then he dropped it altogether. So frustrating.

    I understand the worry and the wait.  I have another scan on 6/13.  I am glad your doctor has tried to ease your concerns.  The other good thing is the specialist usually has better equipment where they can see more clearly in the ultrasound images. 

    Prayers that everything is fine with your little one. 

    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • image bkeane619:
    I'm sorry u have to go through this. FYI genetic testing doesn't mean u have to terminate. People like to be informed ahead of time to prepare for children with special needs.


    Agreed, I think knowledge is power in preparing to give your child the best life possible
    imageimage

  • Scary!  We had our AS yesterday and were told the baby had a calcium deposit on her heart, so that was really scary, too.  :(  Ts & Ps your way, hang in there!
    DD #1 Eva- born April 10, 2011

    DD #2 Violet- born October 4, 2013
  • I recently had a similar experience. My baby has the choroid plexus cyst as well. It usually means nothing but we did the Harmony test still awaiting results and we have a level 2 u/a this coming Friday. It is really hard not to freak and trust me I totally have been. But luckily odds are in our favors. Still Thoughts and prayers for you and hoping that all works out!!

    Btw, DS 1 had a calcium deposit on his heart too and he is a super healthy 2 year old!! Just thought that mag help :
Sign In or Register to comment.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards