Babies: 6 - 9 Months

does your baby still wear mittens?

i thought i could stop putting mittens on my daughter when she stopped clawing at her face, but when she gets sleepy, she starts scratching her ears and the back of her neck! i thought it was because it was dry so would put lotion on the areas all the time, but it seems like she always scratches it any way. so, now i had to resort to putting mittens on her at night when she sleeps! anyone else have these problems?
Daisypath Anniversary tickers Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image

Re: does your baby still wear mittens?

• PaulaCTPaulaCT
    100 Comments Second Anniversary 5 Love Its
    DS clawed at his face/ears for a long time when he was tired, well past the age when you normally put mittens on a baby.  He will still occasionally do this when he is really sick.  That being said, we never used mittens after he was a few weeks old.  He started thumb sucking at 6 weeks, which was how he soothed himself, and then as he grew older and discovered his hands more and more, I figured it was better to let him explore and live with a few scratches.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • DD never really wore mittens. She occasionally scratches herself, but I just try to keep her nails short and her skin moisturized. I'm pretty sure she would yank mittens right off though.

• My LO stopped wearing them when her sleepers stopped having flip over cuffs (2 months) because she would yank off any mitts or socks I put on her. She still gets some good scratches on her head, but I try to keep her nails short and filed and the scratches go away pretty quickly.
  • image melody921:
    DD never really wore mittens. She occasionally scratches herself, but I just try to keep her nails short and her skin moisturized. I'm pretty sure she would yank mittens right off though.

This.

• kekiskekis
    Seventh Anniversary 1000 Comments
    I honestly laughed when I saw this post because DD got mittens off starting day one!  We just keep her nails cut short because she is like a wolverine if they grow!  Hope your DD keeps the mittens on and it alleviates some of the scratches.
    Todd & Kristin, 3.10.07

After 5.5 years of loss, heartbreak, and empty arms, our dreams were fulfilled through the beautiful, selfless gift of adoption. We are amazingly blessed!

Blog About Us | Blog About RPL/IF/Adoption

image image

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • The pedi at our hospital told us to never use mittens when he was born - just cut their nails short so we've never used them.
    Sept 2013 started TTC#2 (never got PP period so hoping for the first egg to drop)
    Jan 2014 - diagnosed POF (Premature Ovarian Failure) and told pregnancy not possible without egg donor because my ovaries would never function again with my hormone levels (FSH 136, LH 98.6, AMH <.03) - using acupuncture, chiropractic care and TCM herbs / supplements
    March 11, 2014 ovulated despite every doctors prognosis!!!
    May 31, 2014 BFP but ended in CP within hours - I've come a long way from non functioning ovaries. Stick next time baby!!
  • My guy never kept socks on, let alone mittens. I would advise, as others have said, just keep those claws filed/clipped! :)

Alexander
    Melanie

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • image kekis:
    I honestly laughed when I saw this post because DD got mittens off starting day one!  We just keep her nails cut short because she is like a wolverine if they grow!  Hope your DD keeps the mittens on and it alleviates some of the scratches.
    Exactly this. Occasionally LO will wake up with a scratch on her head / neck, but that's just a reminder I need to cut / file her nails!