October 2013 Moms

Oops

It occurs to me that I went from lurking to commenting without introducing myself.  I don't necessarily think anyone wants to hear my life story, but eh.

My husband and I met in high school and have been together 20 years (as of July) and married 14 years (as of September).  I was diagnosed with PCOS a couple of years before we got married.  We started trying to conceive right before our wedding and, although I went back on the Pill a couple of times in the intervening years to regulate my cycle, I'd say we spent at least 10 of the following 13+ years trying to conceive before I got pregnant in February.  Granted, we were only getting any real guidance for the past year or so before that.  I started tracking my ovulation regularly instead of once in a while, and even tried three rounds of Clomid.  Two of those months, I didn't even get a positive OPK, but I later learned that it's better to test twice a day and once I started doing that I got a positive every month.  So I think maybe I really was ovulating all along.

Anyway, February 18th I got the biggest and best shock of my life, the first positive pregnancy test I've ever gotten.  Since then, we've had some ups and downs, including being told after our nuchal scan that our baby has a 1/29 chance of having Down Syndrome due to a nuchal measurement of 3.5mm.  I'm still not sure how that combined with my age (37) raised the risk so much when the blood work was clear, but I'm just trying not to worry too much.  My doctor keeps insisting that I get the Harmony test done (I told her I wouldn't do amnio or CVS) but so many people, including my husband AND another doctor, have questioned why that would be necessary given that we won't be terminating.  So I'm still undecided.  Mostly, I just want to relax and have a good pregnancy, although it's hard because I'm a worrier.

So, anyway...hi.
http://www.reactiongifs.us/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/people_skills_are_rusty_supernatural.gif idgaf animated GIF 

My sweet Emma
image   image

Re: Oops

• NRyan55NRyan55
    5000 Comments 250 Answers 500 Love Its Third Anniversary
    Great story! Congrats and welcome

Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • btimes3btimes3
    2500 Comments 250 Answers 500 Love Its First Anniversary
    Thank you!  :)
    http://www.reactiongifs.us/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/people_skills_are_rusty_supernatural.gif idgaf animated GIF 

My sweet Emma
    image   image

• Amazing story. We will be married 14 years in September too. Congrats on the baby and welcome.

DD#1~Emma Dawn 12/19/00 7lb 10 oz 21"
    DD#2~Daphney Mae 04/17/03 7lb 13oz 21"
    DD#3~Grace Deonea 05/20/10 8lb 2oz 21"
        DS#1~Brody Maxwell born 10/16/13 8lb 10oz 21"

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Hello, welcome and congrats!
    Rachel (23) and Ben (25)
    Anniversary
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
    Check out my blog.
    Follow Me on Pinterest
    BFP #3: 2/14/13 EDD:10/16/2013 (Please stick little one)
  • Hello! Great story! And very interesting about the Clomid. I got pregnant on my second round of Clomid .... it was the only time I never got a positive OPK.

• elllafelllaf
    1000 Comments 500 Love Its Name Dropper First Anniversary
    I enjoyed reading! CONGRATULATIONS! and welcome! Try not to worry! It's still only a Chance! I'm sure you're LO will be very healthy!
    When are you due? Are you finding out the sex?

And thank you for adding in the ovulation testing part. My BFF is TTC with her fiance and she hasn't been getting positive ones. She says sometimes it looks darker than other times but not very significant.
    She is a cancer survivor and it worries her what the radiation and chemo did to her body. Doctors told her its possibly she won't be able to conceive...she's so healthy now though so I have high hopes! I will let her know about testing twice a day!
    Thank you!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Congratulations!! And as for the harmony testing, just think of it as more information is always a good thing! One of my friends found out they were having a baby with Down syndrome and delivered at a children's hospital three hours from their town and had a pediatric cardiologist present at the birth so that everything would go as smoothly as possible. Her baby did need immediate intervention and needed surgery within the first week, and several doctors told her that if she hasn't been so prepared with the whole team ready that her now healthy 3 year old may have not survived the first day of birth because they would have had to try to transfer her to that hospital anyway and they long journey would have been hard on the infant with cardiac complications.

So, I am all for more information being a positive, especially when there is zero risk to the baby!
  • btimes3btimes3

Thanks, everyone, I'm glad I finally got off my butt and introduced myself.

image dknight413:
    Hello! Great story! And very interesting about the Clomid. I got pregnant on my second round of Clomid .... it was the only time I never got a positive OPK.
    That's funny, but I guess your testing window just didn't catch it.  Were you only testing once a day, too?

image elllaf:
    I enjoyed reading! CONGRATULATIONS! and welcome! Try not to worry! It's still only a Chance! I'm sure you're LO will be very healthy! When are you due? Are you finding out the sex? And thank you for adding in the ovulation testing part. My BFF is TTC with her fiance and she hasn't been getting positive ones. She says sometimes it looks darker than other times but not very significant. She is a cancer survivor and it worries her what the radiation and chemo did to her body. Doctors told her its possibly she won't be able to conceivee...she's so healthy now though so I have high hopes! I will let her know about testing twice a day! Thank you!
    Oh, I'm glad, I hope that helps her.  I was getting so discouraged when I thought I was only ovulating some months.  Then I read that sometimes the testing window is fewer than 24 hours and that testing twice a day is better.  The very first day I decided to test a second time, I got a smiley face.  (Incidentally, since reading the ovulation test strips can be hard, I recommend the Clearblue digital ovulation tests.  They're spendy, but much cheaper on Amazon than at the drugstore.)  Good luck to your friend, I hope she conceives soon!

I'm trying to stay relaxed about the odds we were given.  I've seen one of my doctor's colleagues a couple of times for emergencies (spotting) and he told us that his wife was given 1/10 odds with their first, but everything turned out fine.  I do worry about the health issues associated with Down Syndrome, but I know we'll love our baby no matter what so I just need to relax.  My due date is Halloween, which I think is awesome.  And we are definitely going to find out the sex if possible at the a/s, which is scheduled for June 14th.  We're all oddly sure it's a girl so I'll be surprised if it's a boy, but we'll be thrilled either way as long as s/he is healthy.

My sweet Emma
    image   image

• btimes3btimes3
    image sooner1981:
    Congratulations!! And as for the harmony testing, just think of it as more information is always a good thing! One of my friends found out they were having a baby with Down syndrome and delivered at a children's hospital three hours from their town and had a pediatric cardiologist present at the birth so that everything would go as smoothly as possible. Her baby did need immediate intervention and needed surgery within the first week, and several doctors told her that if she hasn't been so prepared with the whole team ready that her now healthy 3 year old may have not survived the first day of birth because they would have had to try to transfer her to that hospital anyway and they long journey would have been hard on the infant with cardiac complications. So, I am all for more information being a positive, especially when there is zero risk to the baby!
    You're right, and this is the main argument that sways me toward having the test done.  And then people tell me about the high risk of false positives and the stress that can put on you, and that sways me back.  But if this is the best thing for our baby, then I should do it.  I've just had such trouble with nearly every test I've had done so far that it makes me nervous.  Even the test for spina bifida got screwed up because someone entered the wrong due date.  I feel like I won't even trust the result.

My sweet Emma
    image   image

• I tested twice a day when I was on Clomid and I never got a + opk. I think it interferes with the test somehow because another friend of mine who got pregnant whilst on Clomid also did not get a + opk the month she got pregnant. All those wasted internet pee sticks...

• btimes3btimes3
    Wow, talk about defeating the purpose!  That's pretty annoying.  Especially since you can only take, what, five or six rounds of Clomid in your life?

My sweet Emma
    image   image

• When I was on Clomid, my OB (I didn't go to an RE) said not to even waste my money on OPKs because they say right on the box that they don't work well for women with PCOS (which I have) SHe just had us BD every other day for the week around when the clomid should have been causing ovulation. But for the record, I did not manage to concieve on Clomid. I was the one who had given up and got a BFP out of the blue.
    BabyFruit Ticker

• Congrats and welcome! Thank you for sharing your story. I feel so excited for you, even though we just "met" you.
    image image Quartermisses  

• image btimes3:
    Wow, talk about defeating the purpose! nbsp;That's pretty annoying. nbsp;Especially since you can only take, what, five or six rounds of Clomid in your life?

Wait what??? Where did you hear this? I had two rounds and plan on having many more children with the help of Clomid. My sister in law has had three Clomid babies and hopes to have more... Who told you that??

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Kenzie born October 9th, 2013
  • btimes3btimes3
    image reneeandbill:
    When I was on Clomid, my OB (I didn't go to an RE) said not to even waste my money on OPKs because they say right on the box that they don't work well for women with PCOS (which I have) SHe just had us BD every other day for the week around when the clomid should have been causing ovulation. But for the record, I did not manage to concieve on Clomid. I was the one who had given up and got a BFP out of the blue.

My OB didn't even tell me that (maybe she didn't know--there seem to be a lot of things she doesn't know, kind of worrying) but something similar thing happened with us.  I did two rounds of Clomid, she reluctantly gave me the Rx for one more but said I should just go to a fertility clinic after that.  We ended up having to pause our babymaking attempts because my husband got very sick (pertussis) for a while.  When we resumed, it was a few more months of iffy OPKs until I started testing twice a day.  Had my annual visit a couple months late at the beginning of February and my OB reiterated her suggestion that we go to a fertility clinic.  In the meantime, we continued with the testing and trying.  And then a couple of weeks later, I was pregnant.  I'm so glad we didn't give up.

image quartermisses:
    Congrats and welcome! Thank you for sharing your story. I feel so excited for you, even though we just "met" you.
    Thank you, I really appreciate that.  :)  We're so happy and excited.

My sweet Emma
    image   image

• image Brittlentz:
    image btimes3:
    Wow, talk about defeating the purpose! nbsp;That's pretty annoying. nbsp;Especially since you can only take, what, five or six rounds of Clomid in your life?

Wait what??? Where did you hear this? I had two rounds and plan on having many more children with the help of Clomid. My sister in law has had three Clomid babies and hopes to have more... Who told you that??

It is fairly well accepted among a lot of REs that more than that number of doses over a lifetime can raise your cancer risk and potentially thin your lining to the point that pregnancy is impossible, but of course every woman and every doctor is different and has different recommendations...
  • Welcome! I love your story! Thanks for sharing. 

Anniversary Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    photo cb01b828-a0d3-4f21-96f9-3149d0a15ebe.jpg image
                                                           **July Signature Challenge: Kids Are Not Dogs**
  • btimes3btimes3

image jnrenck:
    Welcome! I love your story! Thanks for sharing. 
    Thank you!  :)

image sooner1981:
    image Brittlentz:
    image btimes3:
    It is fairly well accepted among a lot of REs that more than that number of doses over a lifetime can raise your cancer risk and potentially thin your lining to the point that pregnancy is impossible, but of course every woman and every doctor is different and has different recommendations...
    I'm sorry, I only just saw this.  I didn't know about it at first, either, but I came across it in my reading and was pretty disappointed, and TBH a little panicked, to be limited that way.  I'd read six, but my OB actually said five when I asked her about it.  I think it depends on the doctor, and some will do more than others, but most will cap it at some point.  :/

My sweet Emma
    image   image