VBAC
Options

Exams for VBAC?

kellmokellmo member
What exams or tests are performed to see if you are a good candidate for a VBAC?

Re: Exams for VBAC?

• Options

If you're thinking of any blood tests, physical exams, etc. I don't believe they exist.  I think it has more to do with your health history, body type, reason for previous c/s and current pregnancy progression (GD, Hypertension, etc.)

Ex: OB has always said I'm a good candidate.  I'm 6'1", normal BMI, previous babies under 7lbs, c/s due to breech position, previous vaginal delivery, no history of GD. 

There's this online but like everything else you Google, talk to your OB or MW: https://mfmu.bsc.gwu.edu/PublicBSC/MFMU/VGBirthCalc/vagbirth.html

BFP 2/14/08, DD1 born 10/11/08 (natural); BFP 5/16/10, DD2 born 01/12/11 (c/s, breech)
    TTC #3: BFP 4/27/12, Ectopic 5/16/12 Expectant Management, 8/15/12 Cleared to TTC
    BFP 9/25/12 EDD 6/6/13, Shooting 3-for-3 from the line: It's a Girl
    PgAL/PAL Welcome
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I didn't have any tests performed. My OB looked through my operational report from my c-section, and then we talked about it. I've moved since my c-section, so the op report is the only thing my new OB is going on. I believe a lot of it has to do with your incision, as well as why you had a c-section.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I think it varies between midwife care and OB care. The midwives I interviewed heard my cs birth story and assessed it based on that. And they put a lot on the line in taking a home birth VBAC client.   OBs might look at it more "clinically" weight weight, a pelvic exam, and other factors (even using the VBAC success calculator which I think is rubbish). I have never gone to an OB for any pregnancy though, so that's only a guess.
  • Options
    skioskio member
    None, and don't believe any of that crap if someone tries to feed it to you. There is no physical test or exam that can determine whether you'll be able to birth a baby.

As pp's have said, being a good candidate is largely dependent on your medical history and how your last pregnancy and labor went. I you had a healthy pregnancy, a normal sized baby, and didn't confront any life threatening issues during labor, you should be fine.

I'm a great candidate. I had a very healthy pregnancy, DD was super healthy as well albeit big at 8/13, I dilated fully and had no issues during labor other than the fact that I stalled due to interventions and DD decided not to descend.
    imagePregnancy Ticker
  • Options

Some one posted on here a couple months back of their OB wanted to check the thickness of the scar tissue. It's related to some studies that indicate VBAC success rates are higher with thicker scar tissue - VBACfacts links to the articles on that. Most of the ladies here had never heard of it, so presumably most OBs don't require or even bring up this optional "test" but if you want it done, I can go dig up the links for you. But overall, even a thin scar still had a 60% success rate, if I remember correctly, so that's a chance I'd take, though that's a totally personal decision of course.  

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    imagececilyandgautam:

Some one posted on here a couple months back of their OB wanted to check the thickness of the scar tissue. It's related to some studies that indicate VBAC success rates are higher with thicker scar tissue - VBACfacts links to the articles on that. Most of the ladies here had never heard of it, so presumably most OBs don't require or even bring up this optional "test" but if you want it done, I can go dig up the links for you. But overall, even a thin scar still had a 60% success rate, if I remember correctly, so that's a chance I'd take, though that's a totally personal decision of course.  

This.  They can do an u/s around 36 weeks or so to see how thick your uterine scar is.  My very-pro-vbac OB has not brought it up but the midwife in his practice, and the MFM I saw, and my doula have all mentioned/acknowledged the existence of this test.  I won't do it unless my OB says he really wants me to do it - but since this is my 2nd VBAC he treats me like I've never had a c/s.  (Though I went to him for my first VBAC and he didn't mention it then either - - but that was 5 years ago) 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"