April 2013 Moms

showering with LO

Today my little guy had a major up the back poopsplosion. So instead of messing around getting all of his bath supplies out, I brought him in the shower w me. At first he cried being cradled, then started LOVING it after I held him w his head on my shoulder. Luckily DH was there too washing him while I held him. He just loved the warm water! I loved it because I felt like he got a real thorough cleaning! Probably one of the cutest things I've ever seen. I highly recommend if you have a cranky one.... might be soothing..

Re: showering with LO

• Thanks for the suggestion! Were you able to hold on to him well or did you use a towel? DS is always so slippery when i give him a bath
  • Were you nervous about dropping him?  I haven't taken her in the shower yet because I am terrified of dropping our LO in the shower.  Did you take any precautionary measures?
    my read shelf:
    Kerry's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)

Follow Me on Pinterest

• This is the only way our baby has been bathed as of now. We have the cute flower bath tub for the sink from Pinterest but I have been taking her in the shower since she lost her belly button stump. She hates it on her face but LOVES it otherwise! She gets slippery but trust me as a mom you will not let yourself drop her!
    Together happily for 7 years, Married March 2012--Buckle up! BabyFruit Ticker
  • image Fremdschamen:
    Were you nervous about dropping him?nbsp; I haven't taken her in the shower yet because I am terrified of dropping our LO in the shower.nbsp; Did you take any precautionary measures?

Yes I was nervous about dropping him but he was surprisingly grippable! My husband lathered him up one side at a time then held him in the water to rinse. I don't know if I could have done it W/O DH though. Try it out!!
  • image Fremdschamen:
    Were you nervous about dropping him?nbsp; I haven't taken her in the shower yet because I am terrified of dropping our LO in the shower.nbsp; Did you take any precautionary measures?

Yes I was nervous about dropping him but he was surprisingly grippable! My husband lathered him up one side at a time then held him in the water to rinse. I don't know if I could have done it W/O DH though. Try it out!!
  • I used to do this with #1. She tended to poop up the back at least once a week and always when DH was in the shower, I would just hand her over and he would hold while i washed her, then she would enjoy the water for a bit while i dealt with the clothes. She always slept great afterwards. not sure if it was the shower or if it was because she had pooped so much, either way it worked wonders
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • My stepdad suggested this idea to us because he used to shower with my baby brother, and his main advice was to hold on tight because wet naked babies are super slippery! Lol. My LO would love to look around while getting clean, I might just try it next time !
  • I just did this after reading the thread.  She really didn't seem to mind it - and yes, definitely felt like she got way more clean than in her bath. 

I was worried about her being too slippery too - but I just kept her loosely wrapped in a hand towel so I had a better grip.

imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I'd be too afraid to try this on my own home alone in case I have a hard time holding her. My LO is too heavy for me to feel comfortable doing it. Plus when you're done, what do you do? Dry LO first, then put her down somewhere and dry yourself?
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • image CrazyMary77:
    I'd be too afraid to try this on my own home alone in case I have a hard time holding her. My LO is too heavy for me to feel comfortable doing it. Plus when you're done, what do you do? Dry LO first, then put her down somewhere and dry yourself?

yeah, I prob wouldn't do it home by myself.  DH handed her to me and then took her back and dried her while I finished.

imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I, too, have been wanting to do this but have been nervous about dropping him.  Will have to try it though!
    -K

• We shower with LO all the time and he loves it. I agree that you need two people to feel secure doing it - one to hold LO and one to wash. So one of us gets fully wet (holder) and the other just sticks their hands in to lather and does the drying after.
  • I use to shower when I had just my son with him all the time. It was great. He showers with my h now just because h does bath time since I got preg.

Showering is good for his really delicate skin. Baths are drying.
  • I'm glad we're not the only ones who have done this! :)  It's so much fun to see how much LO loves it
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I always lay a hand towel across my chest to create a little friction. Makes it much easier to hold on to LO.
  • My DH and I do this as part of our regular shower routine, one showers while the other holds the baby. Then baby and other partner join for a group washing of Little Man. Then whichever of us has already had a shower gets out and dries while the other snuggles baby in the shower. Baby is handed out to dry parent and dried/dressed. It works amazingly well at our house and I get to take a shower much more often than I did with DD when she was a baby!! :D