June 2012 Moms

Sleep question

I'm wondering how many of your LOs are STTN. DD has been terrible the past few nights, waking up every hour. I'm so sleep deprived. But even before this (which I'm hoping is just a growth spurt or something) she was still waking up 2-3 times. How are your LOs doing?

Also, what are their naps like? DD has transitioned to one nap a day, but it's about 2 hours long. Before, she was taking 2 but they were only an hour each, so I guess it's still the same amount of time. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Re: Sleep question

• We're not sttn the night yet. Anja gets up once during the night for a bottle. I've gone from 5 to 4 bottles, and I've eliminated one ounce of each of those bottles starting today. I'm going to gradually keep eliminating the amount, and I HOPE this will get her to sttn.

She is still taking 2 naps. They very on length. As of lately, they've both been between 1 to 2 hours long each.

• Are any of those wakings for feeding? My DS always woke up at least once a night and sometimes twice to feed. Just recently, in the past two weeks, he started to go all the way from 8pm to 6am without waking. Except when he's teething he will get up here and there to cry but we either give him his paci or pick and rock a bit.
    As for naps, he takes two one hourish naps per day.
  • image Starbear06:
    Are any of those wakings for feeding? My DS always woke up at least once a night and sometimes twice to feed. Just recently, in the past two weeks, he started to go all the way from 8pm to 6am without waking. Except when he's teething he will get up here and there to cry but we either give him his paci or pick and rock a bit. As for naps, he takes two one hourish naps per day.

I'm still BF so when DD wakes up she usually nurses. I've been trying to go in and put her back down without feeding her, because my pedi said that based on what she eats during the day she shouldn't need to eat during the night. I know that a lot of what she's doing is for comfort. I just have a really hard time with it because she tends to really struggle (screaming, arching back) if I don't nurse her, and I don't know how to break her of the habit. I'd love to be able to just rock her back to sleep but I usually give in and let her eat. 

• DD still wakes up a few times. I BF too and she nurses to sleep.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image
  • It depends on the night, but she usually only wakes up once. Of course DD1 still winds up in our bed most nights so we aren't too worried about it.

As for naps, she's still taking 2 to 3. For us, that's odd. DD1 transitioned to 1 daytime nap with an occasional evening nap by 7 months. DD2 takes 2 daytime naps and an occasional evening one. It has made life interesting how different they are.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
  • DS has been STTN since he was about 9 months old he is 11 mths today. It was very random as e was waking 2 times a night to nurse and then All of a sudden he started STtN. He is BF still and nurses AM and PM and gets 3 bottles of 4oz pumped milk at daycare.
    He tends to take one longer nap around 10am, like 1.5 hrs and then a short nap 2030min around 3:30 or so. When he was waking at night he was taking several long naps but i am not sure if they are related.
    He goes to bed at 7:15 and I have to wake him up around 6:15 so he can nurse and go to daycare. On weekends he sleeps until about 8:30.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • She still wakes up at least once a night to nurse, usually twice. She has also transitioned to one 2-3 hour nap a day.
  • My boys still wake up about 1x a night to eat, then back to bed. It can be anywhere from 4am-6am. If it is before 6am they will go back to sleep, after 6am they will not go back to sleep. They take 2 naps, usually about 1 hour each. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker 21C
  • DD has been STTN since 5 months. She usually naps 2-3 times per day depending on if we leave the house or not.
  • khill86khill86
    1000 Comments Fourth Anniversary 25 Love Its Name Dropper
    DS still wakes at night. We were doing two or three wakeups and nursing each time.

I just did 3 overnight shifts in a row for work so DH was on night duty. DS didn't take any milk the first two nights and was up twice for 30 minutes each time. The third night he was up once and drank 4 oz of BM. Part of me thinks that when DS wakes and DH gets him he knows he can't nurse and so he just goes back down. I guess we'll see what happens tonight when I'm home!

As for naps, we transitioned to one about 2 weeks ago. Before that DS was unpredictable going between one and two. He went from two, one hour naps to one two hour nap, like a PP said.
  • He's been STTN lately. Except when he had a fever due to ear infection over the weekend. Then he was up a lot.

His naps depend on the day. When he's at daycare, he takes one two hour nap from about 12 to 2.

When he's home, sometimes he does the same thing. Sometimes he still takes a morning and afternoon nap for a hour at a time.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • image khill86:
    DS still wakes at night. We were doing two or three wakeups and nursing each time. I just did 3 overnight shifts in a row for work so DH was on night duty. DS didn't take any milk the first two nights and was up twice for 30 minutes each time. The third night he was up once and drank 4 oz of BM. Part of me thinks that when DS wakes and DH gets him he knows he can't nurse and so he just goes back down. I guess we'll see what happens tonight when I'm home! As for naps, we transitioned to one about 2 weeks ago. Before that DS was unpredictable going between one and two. He went from two, one hour naps to one two hour nap, like a PP said.

I've actually been wondering about this. DH and I talked about maybe having him do all the nighttime wakings for a few days to see if it would help to wean her off of needing to nurse during the night. Obviously if I'm in there, she knows that she can get it, but she can't get it from him. I'd be interested to see if that ends up making a difference for you. 

• DD wakes up 1x to nurse in the middle of the night. Usually around 2am or so. Then back to bed until I wake her up at 6:30am to take her to daycare. She goes to bed about 8:30pm right now.

If she is teething or sick, then all bets are off and she can/will get up more than 1x depending.....

As for naps, at daycare she takes 1-2 hour nap. They go outside on the playground in the mornings so she doesn't have a chance for a morning nap anymore there. At home on the weekends, she still takes a half hour morning map, and then an afternoon nap from 45 minutes-90 minutes.

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • We're definitely not STTN. DD gets up usually about 3-4 times a night, but sometimes it's more - her sleep is affected a lot by teething, allergies, etc. Last night was particularly rough - every 20 minutes while she was in her crib, and then every 2 hours when we brought her into our bed.

Before you start night weaning, I'd recommend that you do a little research. I think I remember that doctors don't recommend night weaning until after 1 year. I don't remember for sure though and I'm too lazy to look it up =P 

Anniversary Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Photobucket
  • Thanks for sharing everyone.  So glad to read this, sounds like more people than I thought are still up quite a bit.  My son is also up 2-3 times a night still.  I started transitioning away from BFing a few weeks ago and thought perhaps he wouldn't wake up for a bottle or my low supply but he still does.  I know people say they don't need to eat at night at this age but my son has always down more than 1/2 of his nursing at night, sometimes up to 80% and he seems genuinely hungry at night still.  I don't nurse him during the day anymore, I was just tapped out and had to be done with pumping at work, but I still nurse him 1-2x's in the middle of the night and I give him one 5 ounce bottle, usually around midnight.  If I try to skip the bottle he wakes up every 40-60 minutes to nurse and seems very hungry as my body isn't producing as much milk.  Usually its bedtime with DH and a bottle at 7:30 (I am at work), 15-20 minutes nursing around midnight, bottle at 3ish, up for the day at 6:30 or so.  If I nurse him at bedtime, then its bottle at 12, nurse again at 3.  I'd love to sleep more but this is what works for DS right now. This is much better than we were 2 months ago.  At that point it was 4-6 wake-ups a night.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards