May 2013 Moms

haircut wwyd?

During pregnancy my hair got really long. I like it to be shoulder length or shorter. I was thinking about a nice bob, but I've always heard that hair falls out one or two months after pregnancy. I don't want to cut it, and it then falls out. Also I don't want to wait in the summer heat and see if it falls out. Any BTDT moms who can tell me if this us an OWT it not.

Re: haircut wwyd?

• I'm three weeks PP and my hair is just like it was before and during pregnancy... no change in structure or density.  I think it all depends on your hormones and genetics?

BabyName Ticker
  • megpegmegpeg
    Eighth Anniversary 250 Answers 1000 Comments 250 Love Its

It is not always an OWT. I lost some at 6 months pp and a year. I am a hairstylist and think its about fifty fifty on losing hair.

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerLilypie First Birthday tickersDaisypath Anniversary tickers
  • image slweaver0626:

I'm three weeks PP and my hair is just like it was before and during pregnancy... no change in structure or density.  I think it all depends on your hormones and genetics?

For me it didn't happen until three months post partum. 

• I'm 4 weeks PP and my hair is def coming out. It's not an alarming amount but it is much more than usual. I have thick hair though so it hasn't made a dent really :)
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I lost a ton of hair from 3 to 7 months pp with my first 2 pregnancies. I liked being able to put my hair in a bun or ponytail in that phase, but going short might help if you want.
  • I was around three month pp when I started losing the most hair. Like you, my hair had gotten long and I usually wore it short. I ended up getting mine chopped as soon as it started falling out. The super long hairs were everywhere and it was just a mess. If its going to fall out, length is not going to be the issue, thickness is.
  • So I guess I'll go ahead and cut it. If it ends bad, it won't be my first bad haircut. I just can't take how hot and heavy it is

• With my daughter I started losing my hair around 4 months after I had her.  She is almost 2 and I have had it back to "normal" thickness for a couple months.  I actually cut it short so that it didn't look so drastic (one side lost more then the other).  

I was hoping maybe I wouldn't lose my hair this time, but DS is not just over 2 weeks old and I am already starting to see some more significant hair loss then normal. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • wjvwjv
    100 Comments Second Anniversary 25 Love Its Name Dropper
    I can't remember exactly how long after delivery it started to fall out, but I think it was around 3 months later. IMO I don't think it would matter if it was longer or shoulder length. 
    Anniversary Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker