Breastfeeding

Huge excess!

When I have work, I pump twice - once as soon as I wake up and once about half way through the day.  My morning pump yields A LOT of milk... like sometimes 12-15 ounces!  My afternoon pump is usually a "normal" amount (around 5-6 oz.)  We use frozen milk on Mondays and the rest of the week gets the milk from the day before.  By rhe end of the week, I'm freezing around 20-30 oz of milk!  

My question... is this normal?! I barely had 5 oz a week to freeze with DS, so this is completely different.  How do I slow this down?  I have a huge stash in my mom's freezer (she usually has the kids on Mondays) and my freezer is slowly being taken over now!  

I don't want to screw myself and wind up with not enough milk ... so I'm sort of scared to play around.  I planned to stop nursing in september, and now I'm thinking I may be able to continue DD on breastmilk even after I finish!  It's going GREAT, and I guess all this extra milk isn't a real problem, but just asking for some feedback I guess.

Thanks gals.  :) 

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie First Birthday tickers

Re: Huge excess!

• SkyBeeSkyBee
    2500 Comments Fourth Anniversary 25 Love Its
    It is normal..... supply and demand. I am freezing between 25 and 30 oz. every day. With twins nursing several times a day and a few pumping sessions,  I have encouraged quite the supply! 
    imageimage
  • No, it's not normal...many women would love to have excess. If you pump for shorter periods of time you can reduce your supply. If you end up needing more later, you can pump more then.
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie Pregnancy tickers
    ♥ BFP #3 2/7/14 - My BFP chart - EDD 10/20/14♥
    ♥ BFP #2 9/18/11 Nicole Evelyn born 5/17/12 at 38w3d ♥

♥ BFP #1 11/20/10 hb 12/14/10 natural m/c 12/25/10 at 8w3d ♥
     • Fateful appt. 2/11: Saline sono - polyp; thyroid nodule...it's cancer •  Hysteroscopy to remove polyp 3/17/11 •
    Total thyroidectomy (papillary carcinoma) 4/4/11
    RAI 5/9/11• Laparoscopic fibroid removal 11/2012
    ♦ Cancer free since May 2011 ♦

• a13049a13049
    500 Comments 100 Love Its Second Anniversary Name Dropper
    I'm in the same boat, I can pump huge amounts in no time. I am definitely not complaining but now my freezer is packed and I don't want to cut back on pumping because I am afraid of messing with my supply. I'm afraid if I allow it to drop then something will go wrong and I won't be able to bring it back up again

• Exactly!!!! 

image a13049:
    I'm in the same boat, I can pump huge amounts in no time. I am definitely not complaining but now my freezer is packed and I don't want to cut back on pumping because I am afraid of messing with my supply. I'm afraid if I allow it to drop then something will go wrong and I won't be able to bring it back up again
    Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie First Birthday tickers