Breastfeeding

Good and bad latch?!

I am so discouraged today.

Background is that my LO is 5 weeks old tomorrow, and the first 3 weeks of his life was spent dealing with my cracked, ulcerated and bleeding nipples.  He "looked good" but I had excrutiating pain since day 1.  All I/we can come up with is that he must have a shallow latch b/c compression stripes have been a prominent feature of the pain.  Due to this, I have had terrible vasospasm of the nipples.

At about 3 weeks I did a course of gentian violet, and that actually healed the open sores (other than one ulceration on each nipple which seem to be taking forever to heal) in about 2 days.  I have no idea if it was the antibacterial or antifungal aspect of it that worked, but it did.  I am on diflucan and he's on nystatin just for good measure since the gentian violet seemed to help, but I am not certain we actually have yeast at this point.

Things improved after that, and I have seen the LC frequently and have worked on his latch OVER and OVER and OVER again.  I had a couple really good days this past week and I was so encouraged, especially on the left side-- the nipple actually looked like a nice pencil eraser when he came off most of the time! 

And, then, today I could barely stand the pain and I had huge compression stripes again when he unlatched.  I am scared he is going to open up the tips of the nipples again.  I cannot figure out what happened!  I literally latched and unlatched him about 15 times on each side trying to get a pain free (or nearly so) latch, which only makes the nipples more sore.

**Is this always going to be like this??**  I keep hearing that as he grows and his mouth gets bigger, if I keep working on the latch it will get better.  I just want a "normal" and pleasant nursing relationship, like I had with my last child.  Do babies just have bad days sometimes?  I am so disheartened and wanting to run away right now thinking about things going back to the way they were.

ETA:  sorry this ended up being so long : (.

DS1 ~ 2009 DS2 ~ 2011 DS3 ~ 2013 DS4 ~ September 2014

mom to a strong little boy with a rare disease - congenital cricopharyngeal achalasia

Re: Good and bad latch?!

• Are they sure he doesn't have a tongue tie?

• image mrssqueegy:
    Are they sure he doesn't have a tongue tie?

Yes. 110 percent sure.

mom to a strong little boy with a rare disease - congenital cricopharyngeal achalasia

• Big hugs. You've been through so much, and this is all so hard. But you are doing a great job! Keep up all the hard work. And no, it won't always be like this. Things got markedly better for us at 6 weeks, and again at 8 weeks. And they have continued to get better. You can do it!
    TTC with PCOS since November 2009
    IUI#1 Femara/Ovidrel (cd 3-7) = BFP, m/c
    IUI#2 Femara/Ovidrel (cd 5-9) = BFN
    IUI#3 Femara/Ovidrel (cd 3-7) = BFP!
    beta #1 11/23 = 270, P4 = 75
    beta #2 11/28 = 2055
    Our daughter E was born 7/29/2012!
    Surprise, our 2nd daughter P was born 5/22/14 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicimage

imageimageimage
  • image TJ1979:
    Big hugs. You've been through so much, and this is all so hard. But you are doing a great job! Keep up all the hard work. And no, it won't always be like this. Things got markedly better for us at 6 weeks, and again at 8 weeks. And they have continued to get better. You can do it!

This. I struggled for the first month or so. A lot. But as dd got bigger and her mouth got bigger and she learned to latch better things improved. Hang in there. Just keep at it.
    funny 

• image TJ1979:
    Big hugs. You've been through so much, and this is all so hard. But you are doing a great job! Keep up all the hard work. And no, it won't always be like this. Things got markedly better for us at 6 weeks, and again at 8 weeks. And they have continued to get better. You can do it!

Thank you so much.  That is very good to hear.  I appreciate your response!

• if you're physically attatvjing him that's probably the problem. have you ever watched other mammals nurse? humans werevmade the same way. lo cab find his own way to your nipple and latch perfectly. look into it its called infant led breastfeeding.
  • image bripratt2:
    if you're physically attatvjing him that's probably the problem. have you ever watched other mammals nurse? humans werevmade the same way. lo cab find his own way to your nipple and latch perfectly. look into it its called infant led breastfeeding.

Please tell me how that goes when you have ulcers on your nipples and cant bear to even have his hand brush up against your boob. Holding him and the boob steady is all I can do at this point.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards