Breastfeeding

Pumping time?

Do you pump for a certain amount of time or ounces? I was told in the beginning I need to pump for at least 15 minutes by the lactation consultant at te hospital. Well I fill up both 5 ounce bottles in less than 5 minutes. So of I actually kept pumping I would be encouraging a huge oversupply. In 13 weeks and still pump for less than 10 minutes and stop around 5 ounces total. I have turned the strength of my pump down. So does it matter that I am pumping for such a small amount of time? Would it make a difference on my supply if I cranked the pump back up and pumped for just a couple minutes and got at least a feeding out each session?

Re: Pumping time?

• I dont know the answer but I am so jealous you are able to pump that much!!! That's awesome!
  • I would ask the LC. I was told to only pump for 10 minutes. I usually get about 3ish oz.
    "Sweat is my sanity". Sarah Palin "Charm is deceptive and beauty is fleeting, but a woman who fears the Lord is to be praised". Proverbs 31:30 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • I pump every 4 hours and I get between 5 and 10oz. It honestly depends on how much time I have, if i'm home pumping or out, if LO starts fussing I stop, and if LO is going through a growth spurt. I also like to be able to freeze at least half of what I pump every day.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"