February 2013 Moms

Leftovers

Parenting board is discussing whether or not people eat leftovers.

DH wasn't a big leftover person until we had kids. Now he's just happy to have something to eat. I often purposefully make enough to get a second dinner out of it.

At this point getting to eat a meal while its still hot is cause for celebration round these parts, lol.

How about you?
View Full Size Image
Lilypie - (kxiS)
Lilypie - (BG2d)

Re: Leftovers

• I make a 2 week menu and plan that most meals will carry us through two days.  If it's not eaten for dinner, then it goes with someone (or all 3 of us) for lunch.  My BIL won't touch leftovers though, which I always thought was strange, especially since my MIL is all about leftovers!  She said he was even like that as a kid.  I vote to cook as little as possible.

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • My SO grew up never having leftovers. He will take leftovers to work now but honestly we are terrible with them. They usually sit around til they get thrown out. He is big into cooking and a great one so he would rather make us a new meal. Me, however, I don't really care. He works nights and I found that this week the nights he worked I ate cereal, pb sandwich or a bagel each night. I would have killed for leftovers then lol
  • At the beginning of the week, I usually make some multi-serving dish for dinner - a casserole, or baked pasta, or some kind of meat filling - and then we use the leftovers for lunch. 

• a13049a13049
    500 Comments 25 Love Its First Anniversary
    DH and I were both brought up on leftovers. We purposely make extra so that we can have leftovers for lunch the next day. I much prefer leftovers to a boring sandwich and chips lunch. Plus it's usually cheaper and easy to just make a little extra dinner and put it in Tupperware for lunch the next day. When I was little leftover day was my favorite day of the week. When else could you have chicken nuggets, spagetti and shepards pie all on one plate!?

• The crock pot has become my best friend! I don't really like leftovers, but like the rest of you it is a success when I get to eat lukewarm anything. I usually crock pot it twice a week and each time make enough for 4 to 6 servings but am so hungry that sometimes what I make only lasts for us both to have one dinner and one small lunch. I hate to see what happens when I go back to work.
  • Honestly, I never even considered not eating leftovers. Throwing away perfectly good food makes no sense to me. It's pretty hard to cook a meal for 2 people and not have leftovers. We usually eat them for lunch.
    PCOS with long, irregular cycles
    First round of Clomid in May 2012= BFP #1, DD born January 2013 :)
    BFP #2 on 1/3/14, EDD 9/13/14

• image kleigh926:
    Honestly, I never even considered not eating leftovers. Throwing away perfectly good food makes no sense to me. It's pretty hard to cook a meal for 2 people and not have leftovers. We usually eat them for lunch.

I agree 100%. In a world where 1 billion people do not have enough to eat I cannot believe people throw away or purposefully do not use perfectly good food. I personally think that is shameful.  

We are so thankful that our second daughter, Lillian Elizabeth "Lily", was born healthy and happy on February 11, 2013.  We love her to pieces.  

We lost our first daughter, Hannah Grace on May 4, 2011.  She was buried on May 14 during a beautiful service at my home church. We are grateful that if she could not be here with us, that she is healed and whole with the Lord. We look forward to the day when we will get to meet her. We love her so much.

• image ally2011:

image kleigh926:
    Honestly, I never even considered not eating leftovers. Throwing away perfectly good food makes no sense to me. It's pretty hard to cook a meal for 2 people and not have leftovers. We usually eat them for lunch.

I agree 100%. In a world where 1 billion people do not have enough to eat I cannot believe people throw away or purposefully do not use perfectly good food. I personally think that is shameful.  

Same here! Once in While we don't get to something fast enough and have to toss it, but the vast majority of the time, one or both of us brings leftovers to work for lunch. Not only is it less wasteful, but it saves us time and money as well. I didn't even realize there were people who don'f eat leftovers!
  • I used to be terrible at leftovers, but then I found myself unemployed. I rejoice at anything that makes 2 meals these days. 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Why waste good food? I love left overs some days I feel like I'm at a buffet!
  • image kleigh926:

This. Sometimes leftovers accidentally go bad with us as in something got shoved in the back and no one remembered it, but we always try to eat leftovers.
    Lilypie - (KNqh)
  • I grew up rarely eating leftovers, but not because food was wasted.  My mom just prepared the amount our family would eat.  If there was any leftover, I know she would save it and have it for lunch.  It honestly never occurred to me that people would prepare more than they eat and toss the rest???  What a waste of money.

i love leftovers!  I purposely prepare 2 nights worth of the meal when I cook so we can have leftovers.  On leftover night, I'll add anything that needs to be served fresh, but prep time is minimal.  

• There are some meals that I make specifically to enjoy the leftovers!  I do not understand this.  Do they just....throw away food?  I HATE wasting food.
    Missed m/c discovered 3/15/12 at 8w2d: "Henry."

imageView Full Size Image
    Jack 04/29/10 dairy, egg, peanut and seasonal allergies; Sensory Processing Disorder
    Rhys 01/25/13 Peanut and tree nut allergy, MSPI
    Lilypie - (q2ek) Lilypie - (nqAF)

"We are in Buckingham Palace, the very heart of the British nation.  Sherlock Holmes, put your trousers ON!"

• image kleigh926:

This exactly!

• NOT ALL FAMILIES THAT DON'T DO LEFTOVERS WASTE FOOD! (Felt like I had to chime in, since there we so many people thinking that not eating leftovers means you're wasting food!) 

We are decidedly NOT a leftover family. But we DON'T let food go to waste! I have become really good at scaling down recipes to make just the right amount for us. allrecipes.com is a great tool - for any recipe, you can change the number of servings. For our family of 2+ baby, I always make 3 servings - baby doesn't eat, but hubby eats enough for two. (Certain things - typically sweets like brownies,- which we don't do as much of anyways, it gets a little more complicated, because really how do you measure 1/4 of an egg???)

If anything, we throw away a bite or two, which wouldn't be enough to validate saving.

Some days something I'm making gets out of proportion. (Somehow jambalaya and rice dishes always make WAY too much). On those days, we usually see if the neighbors want to come over for dinner or if we can send it over for their dinner, and we almost always have takers.  

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • It has never occured to me not to do leftovers. In this house we call it lunch. I can never finish restaurant size portions and always bring them home for the next day. I didn't know it was a thing not to do leftovers? Why? I understand trying to get measurements right, but that can be tricky at times.

That said,tho, I often cook too much so we can have lunch the next day. DH can reheat his at work & it saves money from eating lunch out everyday. 

LO born Feb 2010 m/mc 03.25.12 @ 11 weeks measured 8 Pgal/Pal always welcome
  • image Karla CS:

NOT ALL FAMILIES THAT DON'T DO LEFTOVERS WASTE FOOD! (Felt like I had to chime in, since there we so many people thinking that not eating leftovers means you're wasting food!) 

We are decidedly NOT a leftover family. But we DON'T let food go to waste! I have become really good at scaling down recipes to make just the right amount for us. allrecipes.com is a great tool - for any recipe, you can change the number of servings. For our family of 2+ baby, I always make 3 servings - baby doesn't eat, but hubby eats enough for two. (Certain things - typically sweets like brownies,- which we don't do as much of anyways, it gets a little more complicated, because really how do you measure 1/4 of an egg???)

Wait, there's such a thing as TOO MANY BROWNIES?!?! Impossible.

• image IncogNeato:
    image Karla CS:

NOT ALL FAMILIES THAT DON'T DO LEFTOVERS WASTE FOOD! (Felt like I had to chime in, since there we so many people thinking that not eating leftovers means you're wasting food!) 

Wait, there's such a thing as TOO MANY BROWNIES?!?! Impossible.

Haha.. there is too many brownies when I'm stuffing my face with them! 

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • SagenSagen
    2500 Comments 500 Love Its First Anniversary Name Dropper
    I love leftovers, it means I don't have to cook dinner again! We very rarely eat them though because we usually eat the entire meal. We have gotten to be a big enough family, with old enough kids that a recipe feeds our family with maybe a enough leftover for DH to take to lunch, but that is it. My 6 year old son honestly eats as much if not more than my Dh or I do!

Mom to 4 cute kids! 9 yo girl 7 yo boy 5 yo boy and new baby boy!
  • image Sagen:
    I love leftovers, it means I don't have to cook dinner again! We very rarely eat them though because we usually eat the entire meal. We have gotten to be a big enough family, with old enough kids that a recipe feeds our family with maybe a enough leftover for DH to take to lunch, but that is it. My 6 year old son honestly eats as much if not more than my Dh or I do!

Oh man, I can only imagine what the teenage years will bring!
    View Full Size Image
    Lilypie - (kxiS)
    Lilypie - (BG2d)