Breastfeeding

Flat Nipples

Hi ladies! I recently started re-lactation and retaught DS to breastfeed after almost 5 months of FF. I've noticed in between feedings, my nipples go completely flat. It doesn't take much to make them erect for a feeding, but I still feel like it's not very normal.

A week after delivering DS (I was still BF), we had a visiting nurse and LC check up on us at our home (hospital "rules"). The LC looked at my boobs and commented on how flat my nipples were. 

Will they become erect more often as time goes on? I am also very fair skined (thanks Irish genes!), so I wasn't sure if having such light and delicate skin has anything to do with it. TIA :)

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Flat Nipples

• Mine are too. But when I'm done feeding they are like giant pencil erasers!! Lol.... they look even freakier after I pump!!
  • bmerrbmerr
    250 Answers 500 Love Its 1000 Comments Second Anniversary

image andertrr:
    Mine are too. But when I'm done feeding they are like giant pencil erasers!! Lol.... they look even freakier after I pump!!

Same! But within minutes, they are completely flat and smooth, like nothing ever happened. I'm beginning to think it might be a good thing?   

• =Lee=B=Lee=B
    250 Answers 1000 Comments 250 Love Its First Anniversary

My little one is 11 weeks.  My nipples are flat, well the more full the breast the more rounded but the nipple itself doesn't stick out more then the rest of the rounded breast.  As my breast comes out of babies mouth it is erect but not for more than a minute or so.  She Bf fine and eats enough and the few LC's I've seen have never commented.

I to am fair skinned...I to have no clue if that means anything here lol.

• bmerrbmerr
    250 Answers 500 Love Its 1000 Comments Second Anniversary
    image =Lee=B:

My little one is 11 weeks.  My nipples are flat, well the more full the breast the more rounded but the nipple itself doesn't stick out more then the rest of the rounded breast.  As my breast comes out of babies mouth it is erect but not for more than a minute or so.  She Bf fine and eats enough and the few LC's I've seen have never commented.

I to am fair skinned...I to have no clue if that means anything here lol.

Yeah, I'm not concerned about him feeding, as it seems to be fine. I just thought it was strange. My LC made it sound like it was horrible.. "hmm.... well your nipples are still pretty flat" :/ ....awkward. 

• Flat nipples are only an issue if your lo won't latch.. I have flat nipples and use a nipple shield... It can also cause you pain as lo pulls the nipple out
  • I have one flat one, and one that gets super sore easily. While at the hospital, the doctor advised me to use a nipple shield. Medela is the brand. It helps with latch as well as keeping the nipples erect.
  • image bmerr:

Hi ladies! I recently started re-lactation and retaught DS to breastfeed after almost 5 months of FF. I've noticed in between feedings, my nipples go completely flat. It doesn't take much to make them erect for a feeding, but I still feel like it's not very normal.

A week after delivering DS (I was still BF), we had a visiting nurse and LC check up on us at our home (hospital "rules"). The LC looked at my boobs and commented on how flat my nipples were. 

Will they become erect more often as time goes on? I am also very fair skined (thanks Irish genes!), so I wasn't sure if having such light and delicate skin has anything to do with it. TIA :)

Good for you for relactating! I too have flat nipples. DS couldn't get a good latch from the beginning and was a very lazy eater. We used a nipple shield and he would latch onto that but I had a very low supply from the start. DS lost a pound by five days PP, despite the fact that my milk came in around 36 hours PP, and even with Domperidone I could never pump more than 12oz a day. After six weeks of pumping and trying everything I could find I gave up.

When DS was five months old I relactated using Yaz, Domperidone, Fenugreek, Blessed Thistle, and Goat's Rue using the Newman-Goldfarb accelerated protocol. I was able to produce milk but only ever got up to 2oz a day. That would have been enough for me if I could have gotten LO to latch back on because the emotional side of breastfeeding was worth the price of the meds but I have a hate/hate relationship with the pump so I called it quits. I have a better game plan (ie no nipple shield if possible, using an sns to supplement, etc) for the next baby so I'm hoping we are successful!

BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I had flat nipples. It took about 4 months of EBF with a shield for them to stay erect beaten feedings. Now they're not longer flat ever. 
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers