Parenting after a Loss

Freaking out (pic included as to why)

I am freaking the eff out.  I have noticed in the past two weeks that DD's head had a small flat spot on her right side.  I brought it up to the pedi on Monday and she said it wasn't a big deal and that it would most likely straighten out on it's own as she spent less time on her back.  She told me just to turn her head the other way when she is sleeping or on her back.  Well, since then I have pretty much been doing tummy time or wearing her all day long.  Just putting her on her back to play some and of course to sleep.  I am losing my mind worrying that it is going to get worse and she will need a helmet.  I am obsessing over it and now I swear it is worse than before.  I want to call the pedi back and beg for another appt to look at it and maybe a referral to a PT.  I haven't been able to sleep just thinking about it.  I feel horrible, obviously I hadn't paid enough attention to the fact that she was favoring one side and now I feel like I did some real damage.  I read that babies who had low fluid and uterus abnormalities (had both) are more prone to it too.  I have always judged people who have babies in helmets because I assumed that they never held their babies.  I am such a psycho that I have been taking pictures of her head.  In fact, see below for one.  I now see where her brow in the front on the one side is bulging a little too.  How bad does this look to you?  Anyone else have this happen?  Am I being a nut job?

Re: Freaking out (pic included as to why)

• Deep breathes.

There are PLENTY of plagiocephaly moms here, including myself. Plag is way more common than I ever knew and often goes hand in hand with torticollis. In my DS's case, his tort was from his positioning in the womb and his favoring putting his head to one side led to the plag. If your lo has plag, it's likely not bc you were neglectful or anything...some kids are just prone to it. IF, and this is a big if bc I honestly don't have see it in that pic, your lo has it, it looks like she's young enough and it's mild enough to be easily corrected. Not all plag babies need helmets, mine didn't.

I'd advise having it checked sooner than later as the smaller the baby is the easier they are to do the pt with AND the longer you'll have before the skull fuses. Avoiding extended periods of time in swings and car seats is also a good idea.

Again, deep breaths. This is a common issue and likely no reflection on your parenting.

BFP#2 2.5.11 (EDD 10.15.11) DS born 9.28.11

BFP#4 8.27.13 (EDD 5.6.14) DD born 4.23.14

Lilypie - (HrHz)

Lilypie - (2L9u)

My Recipe Blog
    ~All AL'ers welcome~

• I don't have any experience to offer, but I'm sure it will be resolved on its own or with a helmet if needed.

I actually clicked because it crossed my mind that you were freaking over a PIP of a BFP, lol! 

"Grow old and be bold and know that you are the magic of my song" -Stephen Leonard

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    BFP 1: missed mc @ 5w2d/discovered @ 11w+, 11/07, BFP 2: natural mc@ 6w+/-, 6/08, BFP 3: bradycardia & abnormal growth @ 6w to 9w, no hb 9w5d, 8/10

BFP#4: Baby W is born at 41w1d on 7/18/11

BFP# 5: EDD 3/8/13, Baby C arrived 3-4-13.  "March forth, little girl" :)

BFP# 6: EDD 8/25/14, Please complete our family, bebe <3 </font>

*In my bag:  Nikon D600, Nikon D80, Nikon F65, Nikkor 35mm 1:1.8DX, Nikkor 50mm 1:1.4D, Nikkor 105mm Micro 1:2.8D, Sigma 70-200mm D 1:2.8 APO DG HSM, (2) SB-700, (2) SB-24* 

• P had a really flat spot on the left side of her head. I was panicked too and they just told me to reposition her. 2m later it's A LOT better and though I can still tell a little, no one does. The older they get and the move they move around, even moving their heads back and forth, it'll improve. If for some reason LO does end up needing a helmet it'll be ok!
  • image andrea ri 80:

I don't have any experience to offer, but I'm sure it will be resolved on its own or with a helmet if needed.

I actually clicked because it crossed my mind that you were freaking over a PIP of a BFP, lol! 

Ha!  I should be more specific in my future freak outs!  I actually had a dream I was already pregnant again the other night even though we haven't DTD since DD was born! 

• morkmork
    5000 Comments Third Anniversary 100 Love Its Name Dropper

DD had a flat spot off center on the back of her head for months. She had a matching bald spot too, since she was born with so much hair. I was told it would correct itself after she started rolling and whatnot. It did! It's no longer flat at all, and the hair is growing in too. 

If you are this worried, make sure you follow your mom instincts and have it looked at again. As pp said, if there is something to adjust, it's better to do it earlier. If there's not, it will help ease your mind. ::hugs::

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Mama to 5 angel babies, 1 rainbow baby, and 2 more angel babies. 
    My beautiful Ella/ToT arrived 10/10/12. 
  • image Michbot12:
    image andrea ri 80:

I don't have any experience to offer, but I'm sure it will be resolved on its own or with a helmet if needed.

Ha!  I should be more specific in my future freak outs!  I actually had a dream I was already pregnant again the other night even though we haven't DTD since DD was born! 

MH had a dream that I was KU, I'm like, "We would have to DTD, no?  I think we're good"

"Grow old and be bold and know that you are the magic of my song" -Stephen Leonard

BFP 1: missed mc @ 5w2d/discovered @ 11w+, 11/07, BFP 2: natural mc@ 6w+/-, 6/08, BFP 3: bradycardia & abnormal growth @ 6w to 9w, no hb 9w5d, 8/10

BFP#4: Baby W is born at 41w1d on 7/18/11

BFP# 5: EDD 3/8/13, Baby C arrived 3-4-13.  "March forth, little girl" :)

BFP# 6: EDD 8/25/14, Please complete our family, bebe <3 </font>

*In my bag:  Nikon D600, Nikon D80, Nikon F65, Nikkor 35mm 1:1.8DX, Nikkor 50mm 1:1.4D, Nikkor 105mm Micro 1:2.8D, Sigma 70-200mm D 1:2.8 APO DG HSM, (2) SB-700, (2) SB-24* 

• Missa_gMissa_g
    2500 Comments Sixth Anniversary 250 Love Its Name Dropper

I mean this in the nicest way possible, but please take a deep breath and calm down.  Your baby is 2m old which means there is PLENTY of time for the head shape to self correct.  If not a helmet is nbd.  J was in a helmet for nearly four months because despite lots of being held, tons of tummy time, and six months of PT, it did not correct.  S's corrected.  So every baby is different.

I suggest active repositioning.  Does your baby prefer that side?  Do they have good range of motion?  If its difficult to turn their head to the other side then I suggest getting a referral for PT now.  Torticollis is a common cause of plagio/brachiocephaly and early PT can help fix both a good majority of the time. 

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
    Married 9/22/07, began TTC 8/10
    Diagnosed with DOR, LP defect, mild endometriosis and cysts
    BFP #1 EDD 9/10/11, natural miscarriage at 6w
    BFP #2 Medicated cycle, twin boys born 4/4/12 at 29w4d
    BFP #3 EDD 8/8/14, D&C for missed miscarriage at 8w, baby boy with triploidy
    BFP #4 June 2014 CP
  • tdmd09tdmd09
    Eighth Anniversary 250 Answers 1000 Comments Combo Breaker

image Junebug060609:
    Deep breathes. There are PLENTY of plagiocephaly moms here, including myself. Plag is way more common than I ever knew and often goes hand in hand with torticollis. In my DS's case, his tort was from his positioning in the womb and his favoring putting his head to one side led to the plag. If your lo has plag, it's likely not bc you were neglectful or anything...some kids are just prone to it. IF, and this is a big if bc I honestly don't have see it in that pic, your lo has it, it looks like she's young enough and it's mild enough to be easily corrected. Not all plag babies need helmets, mine didn't. I'd advise having it checked sooner than later as the smaller the baby is the easier they are to do the pt with AND the longer you'll have before the skull fuses. Avoiding extended periods of time in swings and car seats is also a good idea. Again, deep breaths. This is a common issue and likely no reflection on your parenting.

This is exactly what I was going to say.

I am a small person who had a big (8lb 13oz) baby with a 95th percentile head. LO was wedged in my pelvis for a long time before birth and he ended up seeing an occupational therapist at a week old who commented on some asymmetry in his head, like that his right ear was more forward than the left, and that one side of his neck was tight due to his position in the womb.

I had noticed some asymmetry in LO's forehead around 6 weeks (mostly that the right side of his forehead was more pronounced), and our pedi noticed at his two month appointment that during her exam he had his head tilted down and to the left. She sent us to PT for torticollis. The PT eval confirmed that he did have torticollis, and a lot of it was caused by the same tightness and asymmetry noticed at birth (so none of that was my fault). He preferred to look to his right when on his back and to his left when on his belly.

She recommended some neck stretches with every diaper change, tummy time with every awake period, and encouraging him to sleep on the left side of his head (he has a flat spot on the right/back part of his head). We just went for a follow up after a month and she was very impressed with how well he has done. She said we could do the stretches less frequently, and she discharged us from physical therapy unless we have concerns and want him evaluated down the road. He still has some asymmetry that will take time to correct as his head gets bigger, but we definitely notice an improvement in his range of motion.

I will admit when I saw the asymmetry in his forehead I got really worried about things like premature fusion of cranial sutures and stuff, but I talked myself down and it turned out to be very treatable. Hopefully this is true in your case also. 

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Congrats to both my TTC buddies, Amberley18 and sb2006 on their beautiful babies!
  • Deep breaths, it will be ok. Even if she does need a helmet it's not the end of the world.

Junebug had some great advice and I think early PT is key too if there is an issue. Trust your mommy instincts and ask your pedi for an evaluation if you really think there's a problem. I'd noticed DS's torticollis (although I didn't know its name at the time) and mentioned it at his 2 month appointment. Unfortunately, even though he was held constantly and in weekly PT, DS's plag didn't correct itself. 

I do understand why you're upset though. I confess I was another helmet judger pre-DS and I cried when we decided to go ahead with the helmet. Some babies are just more prone to tort/plag though.  DS adjusted to the helmet pretty easily at just under 5 months and he only needed to wear it for 3 months. Obviously I wish we would have been able to avoid it, but we both survived and I bet I cried more than him about the whole thing. 

Hugs. It'll be ok.  

• My DS had a flat spot on the right side of his head at that age too, and it was worse.  Around 3 months it was probably a moderate case of plagiocephaly.  I am a speech therapist and my PT co workers told me some stretches to do with him (I also looked at YT videos).  About the same time, he started to use the jumparoo/exersaucer with some blankets around his torso for added support.  I also was aggressive with re-positioning him to minimize the time he spent on his flat spot.  He is now about 4 1/2 months old and while his spot is noticeable, it has much improved.  We were just at the pedi and she is not concerned at this point.  Due to how much it has improved already, she is comfortable waiting until his next appt to see if actual PT is needed.   

7/10 TTC ~ 12/10 DX PCOS ~ 1/11 CD 90 BFP ~ 3/10/11 MC 9w5d due to severe SCH ~ TTCAL 5/11 ~ 5/12 3rd cycle Clomid BFP TWINS!

Owen and Claire arrived 1/9/2013!!

All AL ladies welcome!

• image tdmd09:

image Junebug060609:
    Deep breathes.

There are PLENTY of plagiocephaly moms here, including myself. Plag is way more common than I ever knew and often goes hand in hand with torticollis. In my DS's case, his tort was from his positioning in the womb and his favoring putting his head to one side led to the plag. If your lo has plag, it's likely not bc you were neglectful or anything...some kids are just prone to it. IF, and this is a big if bc I honestly don't have see it in that pic, your lo has it, it looks like she's young enough and it's mild enough to be easily corrected. Not all plag babies need helmets, mine didn't.

I'd advise having it checked sooner than later as the smaller the baby is the easier they are to do the pt with AND the longer you'll have before the skull fuses. Avoiding extended periods of time in swings and car seats is also a good idea.

Again, deep breaths. This is a common issue and likely no reflection on your parenting.

This is exactly what I was going to say.

I am a small person who had a big (8lb 13oz) baby with a 95th percentile head. LO was wedged in my pelvis for a long time before birth and he ended up seeing an occupational therapist at a week old who commented on some asymmetry in his head, like that his right ear was more forward than the left, and that one side of his neck was tight due to his position in the womb.

I had noticed some asymmetry in LO's forehead around 6 weeks (mostly that the right side of his forehead was more pronounced), and our pedi noticed at his two month appointment that during her exam he had his head tilted down and to the left. She sent us to PT for torticollis. The PT eval confirmed that he did have torticollis, and a lot of it was caused by the same tightness and asymmetry noticed at birth (so none of that was my fault). He preferred to look to his right when on his back and to his left when on his belly.

She recommended some neck stretches with every diaper change, tummy time with every awake period, and encouraging him to sleep on the left side of his head (he has a flat spot on the right/back part of his head). We just went for a follow up after a month and she was very impressed with how well he has done. She said we could do the stretches less frequently, and she discharged us from physical therapy unless we have concerns and want him evaluated down the road. He still has some asymmetry that will take time to correct as his head gets bigger, but we definitely notice an improvement in his range of motion.

I will admit when I saw the asymmetry in his forehead I got really worried about things like premature fusion of cranial sutures and stuff, but I talked myself down and it turned out to be very treatable. Hopefully this is true in your case also.&nbsp;

Our stories are very, very similar.

Something that really put his plag into perspective for me was going to the pt appointments. There were kids there facing such big obstacles [severe plag, CF, and so much more]...and there is a childrens hospital right next door. Seeing the Ronald McDonald House and such reminded me that like so many other obstacles we'll face this and we'll get past it.

BFP#2 2.5.11 (EDD 10.15.11) DS born 9.28.11

BFP#4 8.27.13 (EDD 5.6.14) DD born 4.23.14

Lilypie - (HrHz)

Lilypie - (2L9u)

My Recipe Blog
    ~All AL'ers welcome~

• Arriving late to say that junebug and the PPs had some great advice for you. Take a breath - it will all be okay. DS had a "football" shaped head from being breech for a long time (kind of the opposite problem - his head was an oval instead of flat and I was panicked that he was going to look odd forever. It was pretty pronounced. With careful positioning (we also used a noggin nest when awake in a bouncy, etc.  the change was noticeable within a short period of time.  

BFP #1 5/2010 - Missed m/c at 8 weeks
    BFP #2 2/2011
    Baby G welcomed with love and relief 10/2011
    Surprise BFP 1/8/2013...say what? Baby A arrived 9/2013

Motherhood is not for wimps

• Thank you everyone for the advice.  I have been working on repositioning (though DD is resisting) and called the pedi this morning to talk to her about it.  Waiting on a call ack, she is off today so it will probably be tomorrow.  Still freaked out but trying to calm down a bit.
  • DS developed a flat spot as well - and he doesn't have it anymore. It gradually went away. We followed the pedi's advice as well about trying to get him to lay on the other side, etc. It was hard but it eventually evened out. We had the helmet talk and I was so upset, but our pedi encouraged us to give it time, and we did, and everything worked out. Even if it doesn't, a helmet doesn't mean you're a bad mom. You can't beat yourself up about it. And FWIW, I don't see a flat spot on your DD.
    BFP # 1 - 12/19/09 EDD 08/27/10 - D&C 1/26/10 @ 9w5d

BFP # 2 - 06/05/10 EDD 02/17/11, DS1 born on 2/14/11

BFP # 3 - 04/10/13 EDD 12/21/13 - D&C 05/15/13 @ 8w4d

BFP # 4 - 07/27/13 EDD 04/08/14 - CP 07/29/13

BFP # 5 - 09/14/13 EDD 05/28/14, DS2 born on 5/22/14