Breastfeeding

crying while feeding

My DD has just recently started pulling away and screaming while feeding. Not all the time, and she does fine at night. buu during the day she will pull off scream and then try again, nurse for a min, the repeat. I know I have milk, so i dont think shes not getting anything, but im at a loss as to whats going on! Could it be reflux? Help please!

imageimageimage

Re: crying while feeding

• I'm dealing with this issue with my 5 week old DD also.. latch.. gulp.. unlatch..cry...repeat. I have researched the heck out of the kellymom and le leche league forums and still no idea if I'm dealing with an OALD, oversupply, milk flow not fast or slow enough, reflux as a result of oversupply...

I'm getting increasingly worried about this. It seems to correspond with her getting green poops also which indicates intake of too much foremilk.. but I'm totally unsure because I don't typically switch breasts at the same feeding. Then I wonder if I'm eating something she's intolerant to like dairy, wheat, nuts, etc. And its causing gassiness which makes her fuss when eating.

I wish our LOs could talk because I feel terrible that she's feeling discomfort.
    imageimage

• I don't know if its any help, but my dd does this when she needs to burp. I don't know why she needs to burp so much, but she is one burpy baby.

Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • image Moosemonkey:
    I don't know if its any help, but my dd does this when she needs to burp. I don't know why she needs to burp so much, but she is one burpy baby.

I thought this too. I tried burping and relatching and it was the same thing. Were both just getting very frustrated:(

imageimageimage
  • image Smartie26:
    I'm dealing with this issue with my 5 week old DD also.. latch.. gulp.. unlatch..cry...repeat. I have researched the heck out of the kellymom and le leche league forums and still no idea if I'm dealing with an OALD, oversupply, milk flow not fast or slow enough, reflux as a result of oversupply... I'm getting increasingly worried about this. It seems to correspond with her getting green poops also which indicates intake of too much foremilk.. but I'm totally unsure because I don't typically switch breasts at the same feeding. Then I wonder if I'm eating something she's intolerant to like dairy, wheat, nuts, etc. And its causing gassiness which makes her fuss when eating. I wish our LOs could talk because I feel terrible that she's feeling discomfort.

Im sorry your going through this too. Hopefully youll get some answers soon!

imageimageimage
  • I am going through the exact same thing with DS. I've been through all the possibilities over and over. The only thing I have found that is consistent is the time of day it is happening: the evening. I have decided to chalk it up as his :witching hours" and try to deal with it as best I can. It's hard with a toddler.  I go back to work on June 10th and I work nights, so I will dealing with this right before I go to work, then my H will have to deal with it. I am hoping it will get better!
    Anniversary Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • pnutgpnutg
    2500 Comments 500 Love Its Second Anniversary Name Dropper
    Im dealing with the exact same thing and its so frustrating. My boobs are so full i have to pump.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • My DD does this because I have a very strong let down, so she does it every time the milk lets down, it's very frustrating but I hear that she'll outgrow it eventually.

• image mrs.jenRN:
    I am going through the exact same thing with DS. I've been through all the possibilities over and over. The only thing I have found that is consistent is the time of day it is happening: the evening. I have decided to chalk it up as his :witching hours" and try to deal with it as best I can. It's hard with a toddler.  I go back to work on June 10th and I work nights, so I will dealing with this right before I go to work, then my H will have to deal with it. I am hoping it will get better!

i have also chalked it up to the "witching hour" theory and during extra fussy times. Our LO is almost six weeks and does the screaming, arched back, rip off my nipple...then calms down and immediately starts chewing his fists.  

Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • My son does this except he does not really cry but whines a bit.  I have tried laid back nursing where I lean back and turn my baby onto his tummy and his head is facing down toward my nipple and this has seemed to help quite a bit.  I think that my let down was too fast for him and this way it does not come out so quickly.
    *Live for the Light*
  • My DD used to this a lot when she was younger and still does it once in a while now (she's 12 weeks today) and it's usually because she has to burp or has gas or is having a hard time pooping.
  • a13049a13049
    500 Comments 100 Love Its Second Anniversary Name Dropper
    DD does this for a variety of reasons. I have a fast let down, and if she took an extra long nap my boobs turn into super soakers spraying everywhere. Sometimes dd does it when he is hungry and not willing to wait for the milk, especially now that she gets a bottle when im at work. If she is super tired and hungry at the same time feeding is really difficult, her poor little body can't decide what to so so she just sucks and screams. She used to do this when she would get tummy aches too. If my boobs are more swollen she does this sometimes too, I have to express a little bit to make the latch a little easier for her. I figure it out by trial and error. If she is tired I will lay her down and side feed, if its been a while then I will express a little to help with the fast letdown or engorgement. If she is just being inpatient then I will stimulate my breast with my hand until a little comes out into her mouth, usually of this is the case she will start sucking better once the milk is flowing, I can continue massaging to encourage it to come out faster as well. If she has a tummy ache I will burp her. Just keep trying you will figure it out

• You might want to try keeping a diary of what you are eating to see if any of your foods are triggering that response?

*6 weeks is a heavy crying week for most babies, keep that in mind!  If you read most of the sleep books this is a week that their nervous systems perk up.

Also- is your baby arching her back at all? Can you hear a silent spit up, or is she spitting up a lot after feeding?

My doc had me try some meds and we figured out that it was Acid Reflux.

Good luck ladies!

• image Smartie26:
    I'm dealing with this issue with my 5 week old DD also.. latch.. gulp.. unlatch..cry...repeat. I have researched the heck out of the kellymom and le leche league forums and still no idea if I'm dealing with an OALD, oversupply, milk flow not fast or slow enough, reflux as a result of oversupply... I'm getting increasingly worried about this. It seems to correspond with her getting green poops also which indicates intake of too much foremilk.. but I'm totally unsure because I don't typically switch breasts at the same feeding. Then I wonder if I'm eating something she's intolerant to like dairy, wheat, nuts, etc. And its causing gassiness which makes her fuss when eating. I wish our LOs could talk because I feel terrible that she's feeling discomfort.

I'm dealing with the same thing with me 9 week old. Its so frustrating! 

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

BabyFruit Ticker
  • image Mandmeesh:

image mrs.jenRN:
    I am going through the exact same thing with DS. I've been through all the possibilities over and over. The only thing I have found that is consistent is the time of day it is happening: the evening. I have decided to chalk it up as his :witching hours" and try to deal with it as best I can. It's hard with a toddler.  I go back to work on June 10th and I work nights, so I will dealing with this right before I go to work, then my H will have to deal with it. I am hoping it will get better!

i have also chalked it up to the "witching hour" theory and during extra fussy times. Our LO is almost six weeks and does the screaming, arched back, rip off my nipple...then calms down and immediately starts chewing his fists.  

I've also decided it's just "witching hour" or something along those lines.  The first time DS did this I flipped out - we've had milk/soy protein intolerance issues and I was absolutely convinced I had eaten something that was making him 100% miserable.  I think I cried harder than he did!

He doesn't do it every night, it seems to be every 2 - 3 days... but it's ALWAYS the feeding between 7:00 - 8:30.  He'll nurse great for about 5 minutes and then rip off my nipple and scream like crazy.  He may latch back on for a gulp or two once or twice, but not after that.  He'll cry for anywhere from 30 -45 minutes before he calms down and then nurses really well.   

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards