February 2013 Moms

Thoughts on Excersaucers?

This article gives me pause... Brings up a lot of great points that I hadn't thought about. 

http://mamaot.com/2012/05/03/exersaucers-the-good-the-bad-the-better/ 

BabyFetus Ticker

Re: Thoughts on Excersaucers?

• Just put [ url ] [ / url ] without the spaces on either side of the link :D

Also, interesting article. I already feel like LO spends too much time in his bouncy seat :( 

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Interesting article. Thanks for posting!
    My DH was dead set against even owning an exersaucer because he had heard about the down sides. Now I understand why.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Drea926Drea926
    2500 Comments 250 Answers 500 Love Its Third Anniversary

I may get flamed for this....

Before I state my opinion, I want to thank OP for posting this because the information is valid and something to consider...

However, I feel like for anything that has to do with babies, there is some article somewhere starting how horrible it is for them. I'm kind of sick of it to be honest. I sometimes feel like there is conspiracy to fill moms with fear. Like as if we don't have enough of our own worries about screwing up are kids! I don't think it was like this when we were growing up and I'm sure our parents gave us things that were "terrible" and we all came out just fine. 

We have an exersaucer is DS's closet and I can't wait to bust it out because I think he'll love it. 

::steps off soapbox:: :P 

View Full Size Image    View Full Size Image

• image Drea926:

I may get flamed for this....

Before I state my opinion, I want to thank OP for posting this because the information is valid and something to consider...

However, I feel like for anything that has to do with babies, there is some article somewhere starting how horrible it is for them. I'm kind of sick of it to be honest. I sometimes feel like there is conspiracy to fill moms with fear. Like as if we don't have enough of our own worries about screwing up are kids! I don't think it was like this when we were growing up and I'm sure our parents gave us things that were "terrible" and we all came out just fine. 

We have an exersaucer is DS's closet and I can't wait to bust it out because I think he'll love it. 

::steps off soapbox:: : 

Preach! I 100% agree

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Moderation people.  Moderation.  Search hard enough and you will find an article or blog post to support or demonize every baby product and practice out there.  Of corse it is not good to put baby in an exersaucer for hours on end...it isn't good for baby to be in any position for hours on end.  Use your common sense.

• image Drea926:
    I may get flamed for this....Before I state my opinion, I want to thank OP for posting this because the information is valid and something to consider...However, I feel like for anything that has to do with babies, there is some article somewhere starting how horrible it is for them. I'm kind of sick of it to be honest. I sometimes feel like there is conspiracy to fill moms with fear. Like as if we don't have enough of our own worries about screwing up are kids! I don't think it was like this when we were growing up and I'm sure our parents gave us things that were "terrible" and we all came out just fine.nbsp;We have an exersaucer is DS's closet and I can't wait to bust it out because I think he'll love it.nbsp;::steps off soapbox:: :Pnbsp;nbsp;

Ditto :. I've stopped reading these posts and articles on here... It can make you crazy. Obviously I just read this post though lol... But didn't go to the article! I agree with justinlove too that it's just everything in moderation.

BabyFetus Ticker
  • I agree with PP that everything should be done in moderation. DS loves his exersaucer but I only put him in it for 5 minutes at a time and I sit by him the whole time to assist him with his sitting up/posturing if necessary.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • My kids both love the exersaucer.  I don't leave them there all day long.  The first kid seems to have developed normally, met all milestones on time, and has great large motor skills.  I'm not concerned. I agree with pp that everything under the sun is either bad for babies or going to give them cancer according to half the articles out there.  There's only so much we can do. 

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Guess what? I even have a walker and fully intend on using that. We live in a one level house, so no stairs for her to fall down. And I don't even think she'd be able to reach the stove while sitting in it. If I don't want her to be mobile, I'll brake the wheels. I agree with PP's, everything in moderation.
    PCOS with long, irregular cycles
    First round of Clomid in May 2012= BFP #1, DD born January 2013 :)
    BFP #2 on 1/3/14, EDD 9/13/14

• image kleigh926:
    Guess what? I even have a walker and fully intend on using that. We live in a one level house, so no stairs for her to fall down. And I don't even think she'd be able to reach the stove while sitting in it. If I don't want her to be mobile, I'll brake the wheels. I agree with PP's, everything in moderation.

I didn't even know walkers were bad. I guess my kid is doomed.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • image kbates85:
    image kleigh926:
    Guess what? I even have a walker and fully intend on using that. We live in a one level house, so no stairs for her to fall down. And I don't even think she'd be able to reach the stove while sitting in it. If I don't want her to be mobile, I'll brake the wheels. I agree with PP's, everything in moderation.

I didn't even know walkers were bad. I guess my kid is doomed.

Apparently there is a higher incidence of injury because of the wheels.
    PCOS with long, irregular cycles
    First round of Clomid in May 2012= BFP #1, DD born January 2013 :)
    BFP #2 on 1/3/14, EDD 9/13/14

• That was a great article! I like that it does not "demonize" the exersaucer but rather it offers a fresh perspective on how to use it that actually involves parental interaction. I feel like there are already too many 'things' parents depend on to entertain their child thus limiting the amount of attention/interaction with people. I've just seen too many parents stick their babies in things and leave them be,its just distasteful to me. Yea the kid may love it, I love cupcakes, not everything we love is good for us. This is where moderation comes in but like the article said it does become too easy to 'forget' once you start doing your own thing.
  • Yeah, some of it is good info, but my first thought was, "Oh, good! Sometime else for me to feel guilty about!" and all the advice to use it without putting the baby in it, while engaging with the baby... well, that kind of defeats the purpose, really. :-P

My mom said it best with, "Moms have rights, too." I have the right to take 10 minutes to take a shower, or eat a sandwich, or whatever. Through much of human history, babies weren't entertained by their parents 24/7 and really, a little boredom or alone time is good for everyone. Obviously don't stick your kid somewhere for hours at a time, and don't put a wobbly 2 month old in a contraption when he can't hold his head up, but go on with your bad self and stick the baby in a containment device for a few minutes a day to get a break and I promise, your baby will still learn to sit, walk, and talk, and they will still love you. Otherwise, all second or third children would be doomed since their parents couldn't give them their undivided attention every second of the day.