Breastfeeding

Pump while driving

I have heard people pump breast while driving. If you do, please provide tips how this is done. Thx

Re: Pump while driving

• If texting and driving is dangerous, why on earth would anyone think that pumping would be a good idea.

For the love of God, let DH drive or pull over.

• My question is how does one wear their seat belt with the pump on? I refuse to be in a car without my seat belt. I feel naked without it.
    I prayed for this child, and the LORD has granted me what I asked of him. 1Samuel 1:27 Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers Team Peeta Tag Pictures, Images and Photos
  • I've done it a few times in a pinch. Make sure you get everything ready before you start driving and either be able to pull your shirt over the pieces or put a cover over you so people can't see. Then, pull over when you're finished and put everything into a cooler.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • CLLDLLCLLDLL
    5000 Comments 250 Answers 500 Love Its Third Anniversary

image MrsW101011:
    I've done it a few times in a pinch. Make sure you get everything ready before you start driving and either be able to pull your shirt over the pieces or put a cover over you so people can't see. Then, pull over when you're finished and put everything into a cooler.

This.  I ended up hooking everything up, but the tubing.  Then put my seatbelt on, then connected the tubing.  Drove & pumped.  Then parked to unhook & store.  It was fine.

image imageimageimage

• image Calypso312:
    My question is how does one wear their seat belt with the pump on? I refuse to be in a car without my seat belt. I feel naked without it.

I worked in the field when DD2 was a baby and was either in clinic or driving between clinics. The only time I could pump was while driving.

I put my hands free pumping bra on first and then my seatbelt. Then I hooked up to the pump and got it started. I didn't start driving until I didn't need to do anything with the pump. After 20 min or so, I would shut off the pump and wait to unhook until I got to my destination.
    Annalise Marie 05.29.06
    Charlotte Ella 07.16.10
    Emmeline Grace 03.27.13
  • image Arnegard:

If texting and driving is dangerous, why on earth would anyone think that pumping would be a good idea.

Um, because, unlike texting, it doesn't take any mental energy or particular concentration to pump... And, wow, do I wish I had MH or another passenger there to share the driving as I commute to work.

I commute an hour a day each way (excluding traffic or weather), alone (no passenger available to drive). I pump on my way to and from work every day and find it significantly less distracting than having the radio on or having a passenger in the car. If I pulled over, it would take me 90 minutes to get to work each day instead of 60 min, which would further take away from the precious little time I have with my LO each day. If I did not do this, I could not BF my daughter, since, when you factor in my commute, I often work 11hr days.

To answer OP's, question, I get everything ready in my driveway: hook up the pump to my car outlet, attach the tubing and parts, etc. Depending on what time I have to be at work, some days I start the pump in my driveway before I leave, pump for 20ish minutes, then turn it off. Other days I pull over at a rest stop about 30 minutes into my drive, put on the pumping bra and phalanges, turn on the pump and finish my drive. Yes, I often have the phalanges on for the entire 60 minute drive. I use a nursing cover.

• Like every one else... Get all set... Fasten seat belt.. Hook up tubes... Cover on.. Pump on... Then start car. If I want to stop before I arrive I just turn the dial off and leave everything on my body.

Keep a rag close and have only pump related items in your front seat less clutter.

Should mention my pump has a let down mode for first two mins and then auto switches. My old pump did not and I had to mess with it... That would be harder.
  • image Arnegard:

If texting and driving is dangerous, why on earth would anyone think that pumping would be a good idea.

How is texting like pumping at all? Pumping is hands free once you are set up (which you do in your driveway or a parking lot), and does not require looking at anything.

As PP have said, hook up ahead of time, use a good hands free bra, put your seatbelt on once the pump is hooked up (for me the shoulder belt just goes between the bottles, not an issue). 

Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie Pregnancy tickers
    ♥ BFP #3 2/7/14 - My BFP chart - EDD 10/20/14♥
    ♥ BFP #2 9/18/11 Nicole Evelyn born 5/17/12 at 38w3d ♥

♥ BFP #1 11/20/10 hb 12/14/10 natural m/c 12/25/10 at 8w3d ♥
     • Fateful appt. 2/11: Saline sono - polyp; thyroid nodule...it's cancer •  Hysteroscopy to remove polyp 3/17/11 •
    Total thyroidectomy (papillary carcinoma) 4/4/11
    RAI 5/9/11• Laparoscopic fibroid removal 11/2012
    ♦ Cancer free since May 2011 ♦

• With a hands free bra and a cover I wouldn't be against doing it.

I see what one poster is saying about the texting comparison but I think pumping is a little different. You still would have type hands on the wheel with pumping where you would not with texting.

I might have to do this on my commute to work. If so I would just set it all up before starting the car. You gotta do what you gotta do.
  • image Arnegard:

This is just ignorant.

I pump everyday on my way to work, I do not text or take phone calls, my attention is 100% on the road.  Like pp said, I hook my self up in my garage with a hands free bra.  I put on my seat belt and the nursing cover goes over everything. My commute is 30 minutes, so it's nearly perfect timing.  When I get to work (we have underground parking) I park next to cars that are already there and empty.  I just take everything off under the nursing cover.  Voila! I love multitasking!

• image opaque1997:
    Like every one else... Get all set... Fasten seat belt.. Hook up tubes... Cover on.. Pump on... Then start car. If I want to stop before I arrive I just turn the dial off and leave everything on my body.

Keep a rag close and have only pump related items in your front seat less clutter.

Should mention my pump has a let down mode for first two mins and then auto switches. My old pump did not and I had to mess with it... That would be harder.

This. It's not that difficult at all.
  • I know women who have done this, basically the same thing as the other posters.  I did it while a passenger in the car, not the driver.

My only concern for myself and for you is, if god forbid you were in an accident, what type of injuries would you incur from the airbag?  I hate to be a debbie-downer, but that's what basically kept me from doing it while driving.

Please be safe!