June 2013 Moms

House Temperature

OK, if i remember correctly the ideal temp is 72. When my thermostat is on 72 its freeeeezing in here. Like shivering freezing. So ive been putting it a little higher to feel comfy.

I have the baby in a footed long sleeve onesie and in a swaddle pod. I sometimes cover his legs with an AA blanket as well.
Im wearing light cotton pj pants with a tee shirt and socks.
So should i just base it on my comfort and assume that the baby is comfy too?
Any helpful input??
How do i know if the baby is in the right temp?
Pregnancy Ticker

Re: House Temperature

• The "ideal temp" is whatever you are comfortable at. Just put baby in one more layer than you have on.

Sounds like he's just fine with what you're doing.

Big Sister ~ Little Brother

• Ideal temp is actually lower, around 68.  It doesn't seem like anyone would be shivering at 72 - do other people think your house is cold or is it just you? :)  I'm just wondering if maybe your thermostat isn't working right or you have insulation issues.
  • image elmoali:
    Ideal temp is actually lower, around 68. nbsp;It doesn't seem like anyone would be shivering at 72 do other people think your house is cold or is it just you? : nbsp;I'm just wondering if maybe your thermostat isn't working right or you have insulation issues.

If we have the central air set to 72 here it feels cool to me, too...not shivering cold but definitely feels cool. 68 would be freezing here!

Big Sister ~ Little Brother

• I read somewhere that the ideal temp was actually 68-72. We keep our house on 68 because DH and I are both hot natured. I wear pj pants and a tee shirt usually. I would say it sounds like your LO has just enough layers on! The general rule seems to be one more layer than what you are wearing.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    BFP #1: 6.26.12 EDD: 2.11.13 missed m/c: 7.31.12 @ 12 weeks
    BFP #2: 10.1.12 EDD: 6.11.13 Born 6.13.13
    photo 2546f8b6-17f6-4b55-b007-93a547c620b8.jpg

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • I also check how Grace's hands feel and her nose - if her hands and nose are cold, then I add a blanket or sleep sack to what she's wearing.

Born May 6, 2013 at 35 weeks/2 days

• image katiechanning:
    I also check how Grace's hands feel and her nose - if her hands and nose are cold, then I add a blanket or sleep sack to what she's wearing.

Just a tip - check the back of her neck or her body.  Newborns have circulation challenges that can cause their extremities to feel cold when they aren't truly cold so their core is a much better way to judge :) 

• image elmoali:

image katiechanning:
    I also check how Grace's hands feel and her nose - if her hands and nose are cold, then I add a blanket or sleep sack to what she's wearing.

Just a tip - check the back of her neck or her body.  Newborns have circulation challenges that can cause their extremities to feel cold when they aren't truly cold so their core is a much better way to judge :) 

Yup, always check the core and not extremities. OP where is your thermostat located? The guy who built our house was a moron and put ours in the worst possible location. Because of that we can't get an accurate reading. If we put it on 70, her room will actually be over 80. We've learned how to deal with it, but I would go by feel and not what the reading actually says. And FTR, my ideal is more like 78 in a tank top holding a nice, cold lemonade :P  

Proud Mama to Mickey (12.03.09) and Nemo (06.06.13)

• image elmoali:
    Ideal temp is actually lower, around 68.  It doesn't seem like anyone would be shivering at 72 - do other people think your house is cold or is it just you? :)  I'm just wondering if maybe your thermostat isn't working right or you have insulation issues.

I would be shivering if our thermostat was set at 72. I have it set at 77 and it's comfortable. I turn it to 75 at night and I'm pretty chilly until I get in bed at night. No way I'd put my a/c at 68!! I'd die!! 

image image
  • skioskio
    5000 Comments 250 Answers Fifth Anniversary 250 Love Its
    image elmoali:
    Ideal temp is actually lower, around 68. It doesn't seem like anyone would be shivering at 72 do other people think your house is cold or is it just you? : I'm just wondering if maybe your thermostat isn't working right or you have insulation issues.

I'm freezing if my house is below 73 or 74, lol. And the temp is accurate, we have thermometers in several rooms. Non pregnant, that is. I'm running a good ten degrees warmer than usual nowadays, ugh.

But yeah, Carolyn, keep it comfortable for you and keep one extra layer on baby as CTgirl said. If you're comfortable in a tee shirt and pants, have baby in long sleeves/pants and a swaddle or blanket. I always put a light cotton hat on my baldy bean, too.
    image Pregnancy Ticker
  • Don't use your temp, your hormones will put you all over the place for a couple months. I always used DH until I felt back to normal.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker  Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Our AC is on 72 right now bc we have people over and I have on long pants and am under a blanket. This is the only house I lived in where I've been so cold at 72. I can't image 68.
    BabyFetus Ticker IAmPregnant Ticker
  • I get cold if the thermostat is at 72, especially since we lived without a/c for a while.

Keep the house comfortable, and just make sure there is good air circulation so it doesn't get too stuffy.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• CL8badBCL8badB
    10000 Comments 250 Answers 500 Love Its First Anniversary

Thanks all!

Im finding that putting my thermostat on 74 seems to be a good temperature but I do adjust it if we feel too hot or cold. I had it on 73 and I was a little cold. My hubby said that he was chilly too so I put it up a degree just to get the chill out of the air.

I guess I will get the hang of it soon enough. Its lil guys 2nd night home so I just want to make sure that I'm on the right track!

; ) 

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Faith7Faith7
    Ancient Membership 100 Comments 5 Love Its

image elmoali:
    Ideal temp is actually lower, around 68.  It doesn't seem like anyone would be shivering at 72 - do other people think your house is cold or is it just you? :)  I'm just wondering if maybe your thermostat isn't working right or you have insulation issues.

72 is cold to me, too.  I'm comfy at about 78 as long as the humidity isn't over 50%.

I have to chuckle a bit at the idea of keeping our home 68-72.  We don't have a thermostat or A/C--just a wood burning stove for the winter.  Our little one will have to go old school and embrace Alabama summers with just a diaper and electric fan.

• MrseBayMrseBay
    10 Comments
    I live in Utah and most of the time it's cold and chilly, if not snowing. We have our thermostat set at 62 at night with a fan on in the master's bedroom and using just our cotton blankets. I am stressing about setting it at 70 when the baby arrives in few weeks. We don't know how are we going to adjust since we both love sleeping with that set up eversince. I guess I just have to buy one more fan for the master's bedroom and use both at night so baby will be comfortable in the nursery room.
  • image MrseBay:
    I live in Utah and most of the time it's cold and chilly, if not snowing. We have our thermostat set at 62 at night with a fan on in the master's bedroom and using just our cotton blankets. I am stressing about setting it at 70 when the baby arrives in few weeks. We don't know how are we going to adjust since we both love sleeping with that set up eversince. I guess I just have to buy one more fan for the master's bedroom and use both at night so baby will be comfortable in the nursery room.

That's how I like the temps. Low 60's (at least during the cooler months) so the heat isn't constantly running. Plus, I don't sleep well when it gets toasty. I'd rather be slightly cool with extra blankets on me. Summer...I just have to have fans on and windows open. We have a wall unit but it is in our bedroom, and with planning to have baby sleep in the bassinet in our room the first several weeks, I'm afraid we won't be able to run it. The only issue is if we open the windows, baby may wake up from hearing the trains that run behind our apartment. I will follow the general rule though of putting one more layer of clothing on baby than on me. 

Pregnancy Ticker